• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hockey World Cup - 2010 - India

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Stunned at this attitude tbh. Can not see how anyone could possibly call hockey a "girl's sport" as though it's soft. Crazily dangerous game.
It's a "girls' sport" in the UK at least because it's mainly played by (hey) girls.

It's also non-contact, isn't it?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Good win for us yesterday India loss to Aus means there is no runaway leader in the group it has been a good tournament so far.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am watching hockey after ages.The removal of offside rule has made it a poor spectator sport from my pov.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best sport going FTW. So much more entertaining that Football IMO. Probably won't end up watching any as I guess it'll be on SS, but I'll try catch some online. Best sport to play as well.
Yeah it's a great sport, played it a fair bit when I was younger and might have another go at it when I get back to Oz. Thought I could play in Korea, but despite them having a national team it seems like no-one actually plays it.

Some spectacular goals are scored in hockey.

Just noticed Matthew Butturini's name in the team (at least he was in 2009), he played in my local comp as a junior, although admittedly years after me. Nathan Eglington went to my school too. Don't think he's still in the team though, was in Athens. A bloke whose name is exactly the same as mine and who also comes from Kingscliff played for Aus last year too. It's kind of big in our area.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

It's a "girls' sport" in the UK at least because it's mainly played by (hey) girls.

It's also non-contact, isn't it?
It depends...a ball to the side of the head is contact. There's always contact to some degree, but you can't shoulder charge or tackle with your arms or feet obviously.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No, it's not a non-contact sport. Non-contact sports are ones like Netball and Basketball where there are very few instances where it's legal to touch an opponent. Hockey has the contact rules of football, i.e, you can touch another player, but within reason.

Meridio

International Regular
Saw on the news this morning that Pakistan lost their game to Canada 3-2. Following the game, the entire team announced their retirements. Wtf.

Anyway, NZ playing off for 9th tonight. Hopeless result.

Son Of Coco

No, it's not a non-contact sport. Non-contact sports are ones like Netball and Basketball where there are very few instances where it's legal to touch an opponent. Hockey has the contact rules of football, i.e, you can touch another player, but within reason.
I always found a hockey stick to that small bone just under your ankle constituted unreasonable contact...it's like a funny bone.

David

International 12th Man
Personally glad they ditched the offside rule, makes the game far better imo. Great to watch too.

As for being a non contact sport, being taken out by an opposition goalie is decidedly contact, and I certainly wasn't thinking it was girls sport when our fullback was hospitalised after the impact of a ball to the chest lifted him off the ground. Nor was I feeling decidedly safe when my team mate passed the ball into my face. Probably not the greatest pass I've ever received.

Hoping Australia can actually beat Germany here, third times the charm.

biased indian

International Coach
Saw on the news this morning that Pakistan lost their game to Canada 3-2. Following the game, the entire team announced their retirements. Wtf.

Anyway, NZ playing off for 9th tonight. Hopeless result.
2 ..17 year old players are included in those who announced retirements :)