• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is it with Asians and Figure Skating?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As the title asks, what is it with Asians and figure skating?

A quick look at the list of participants for figure skating in Vancouver shows Asian athletes representing places such as Germany, Russia, Australia, Georgia, Canada etc aside from the obvious Asian countires and the USA.

Figure Skating Athletes : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

The winter games is typically dominated (IMLE) by cold weather nations and the sports are typically more popular in those places. So why do Asians love figure skating (which I can attest to with my wifes mothers side of the family)? It isnt something that culturally would seem to fit.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive just figured out one of the reasons there are so many people representing a country different to that of their birth. They often have skating partners from a different country and move to represent the country of their partner.

So that explains part of it. However, it doesnt explain why it is such a popular sport for people from often warm weather countries, for example the Philippines.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Some countries fast track citizenship for non citizens who win them olympic medals.

True story.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Only 3 of the Asians representing countries outside Asia were actually born in Asia.
2 of those, a brother and sister combo, were born in the Philippines to a Philippino mother and German father, and moved to Germany when they were 6 & 7.

Interestingly, another competitor (of Japanese heritage) was born in America, and now represents Georgia.

Also, believe it or not, it does get cold (and snow!) in places like Korea, Japan and China. Crazy, I know.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seem to recall the Nagano games took place in Asia as well, where it can get cold.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haven't played.

Anyone else used to get blisters etc from playing any of the Olympic titles? Remember Sydney 2000 was a shocker for that. Worth it IMO.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Having lived in Japan for four years, I can tell you it's hugely popular over here. In fact, I'd wager that it's one of the biggest television sports in Japan. Even non-Olympic events get plenty of FTA coverage, and turning pro is a bigger deal here than in a lot of other countries.

I don't see why it's a surprise. Sychronised swimming, diving, ballroom dancing, cheerleading and gymnastics are also popular in Asia. Culturally, it fits. Aesthetically, it's similar to traditions of dance and costume, and culturally it involves aspects of skill, technique, discipline, practice, motivation and sacrifice. In my experience, Japanese people excel at sports that require skill, technique and a certain amount of repetition and training to perfect (eg. baseball) as opposed to more physical sports, but they play just about every sport here and there are certain sports that you wouldn't peg as being popular like curling, marathon running or long distance relay races.