Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,933

    2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver

    Sad way to start the games even before the opening ceremony

    Luger dies after horror crash - Winter Olympics - Fox Sports
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  2. #2
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Such a tragedy.

    Really brings up a few issues that need to be solved by admin.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

  3. #3
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Just watched the teams come out. And yes we have a team from Ethopia. Jamaica is represented in these games, but not in bobsled.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Moving the hole in the o-zone layer
    Posts
    8,538
    On a side not, Leila McKinnon sucks.

    Still, Joni Mitchell at any ceremony is an instant winner.


  5. #5
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    On a side not, Leila McKinnon sucks.

    Still, Joni Mitchell at any ceremony is an instant winner.
    Given that her husband is high up in Ch 9, that bit would surprise me if that was true. It's not what you know, but who you...

  6. #6
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Only really bothered about watching the ice-hockey and downhill skiing TBH, watching Canada v Russia in the hockey should be awesome. I'll probably end up watching most of it though, I'm on holiday for these next few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,553
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Only really bothered about watching the ice-hockey and downhill skiing TBH, watching Canada v Russia in the hockey should be awesome. I'll probably end up watching most of it though, I'm on holiday for these next few weeks.
    Tbh, we're gonna kick their butts...

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Kweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,723
    Sven Kramer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Svencouver!
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Kweek View Post
    Sven Kramer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Svencouver!
    Bravo, bravo.

    Must admit I harboured a slight hope following his last three laps. Not to be. Well skated.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,782
    Just watched Biathlon. How did that become an Olympic sport?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Just watched Biathlon. How did that become an Olympic sport?
    Winter equivalent of modern pentathlon. (Used to be governed by the same federation.)

    By now it's gained a moderate cult following in Germany for some reason. Probably the third or fourth largest sport in the country.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    40,405
    So many sports at the Winter Olympics are utterly alien to me, because of our climate here I just don't follow them. Love the downhill and the ski jumping, but it's really an education to see many of these sports. Has given us a turn of phrase in our lexicon though - "Doing a Bradbury".

    And can I just ask some guys who might understand...

    The luge and the skeleton. Please explain.

    Now I don't want to speak poorly of the sports when this unfortunate fellow has just died, but honestly, I mean, who stands there and says "Hmm, a steep track of solid ice - reckon I'll grab my esky lid and head down there"? Seriously, absolutely insane. Why do they need those poxy X Games that skateboard kids go to after not washing for a month, when they have the luge and the skeleton?

    And look, I'm a parent right. How the **** can any sane parent say to their kid "Sure honey, you want to do 150 ks head first down solid, steep ice with nothing around you to protect you? Yeah, what time's training, I'll drive you over". GAGF. I saw this girl from the Canadian skeleton team talking about it this morning - I mean this girl was stunning, drop dead gorgeous. Also seemed pretty bright, so she clearly hasn't had a bad crash yet. I'm just sitting here thinking "No way, how the **** did her old man let her do that? That's crazy".

    So, what am I missing here? And please, not the "It's a rush" thing OK. Of course it's a rush, but so are lots of things that aren't suicidal. I seriously would like some answers.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,782
    Can't answer that. Hakon?

    The British guy, Kristian Bromley, actually did a doctorate in sled design or something of the like...

  14. #14
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    So many sports at the Winter Olympics are utterly alien to me, because of our climate here I just don't follow them. Love the downhill and the ski jumping, but it's really an education to see many of these sports. Has given us a turn of phrase in our lexicon though - "Doing a Bradbury".

    And can I just ask some guys who might understand...

    The luge and the skeleton. Please explain.

    Now I don't want to speak poorly of the sports when this unfortunate fellow has just died, but honestly, I mean, who stands there and says "Hmm, a steep track of solid ice - reckon I'll grab my esky lid and head down there"? Seriously, absolutely insane. Why do they need those poxy X Games that skateboard kids go to after not washing for a month, when they have the luge and the skeleton?

    And look, I'm a parent right. How the **** can any sane parent say to their kid "Sure honey, you want to do 150 ks head first down solid, steep ice with nothing around you to protect you? Yeah, what time's training, I'll drive you over". GAGF. I saw this girl from the Canadian skeleton team talking about it this morning - I mean this girl was stunning, drop dead gorgeous. Also seemed pretty bright, so she clearly hasn't had a bad crash yet. I'm just sitting here thinking "No way, how the **** did her old man let her do that? That's crazy".

    So, what am I missing here? And please, not the "It's a rush" thing OK. Of course it's a rush, but so are lots of things that aren't suicidal. I seriously would like some answers.
    It's just simple sledding that got out of hand. Read Simon Barnes' brilliant take on it all in The Times..

    ...hold on...

    there you go.

    And Burgey, sweet dreams if you think you can stop your kids from doing what they want with their lives.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    It's just simple sledding that got out of hand. Read Simon Barnes' brilliant take on it all in The Times..

    ...hold on...

    there you go..
    That was good. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Under-19 World Cup 2009/10
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 563
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 02:40 AM
  2. New Zealand speed skaters on path to Winter Olympics
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15-11-2009, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •