• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver

Dydl

International Debutant
Such a tragedy. :(

Really brings up a few issues that need to be solved by admin.

Craig

World Traveller
Just watched the teams come out. And yes we have a team from Ethopia. Jamaica is represented in these games, but not in bobsled.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Only really bothered about watching the ice-hockey and downhill skiing TBH, watching Canada v Russia in the hockey should be awesome. I'll probably end up watching most of it though, I'm on holiday for these next few weeks.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Only really bothered about watching the ice-hockey and downhill skiing TBH, watching Canada v Russia in the hockey should be awesome. I'll probably end up watching most of it though, I'm on holiday for these next few weeks.
Tbh, we're gonna kick their butts... :cool:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Just watched Biathlon. How did that become an Olympic sport?
Winter equivalent of modern pentathlon. (Used to be governed by the same federation.)

By now it's gained a moderate cult following in Germany for some reason. Probably the third or fourth largest sport in the country.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So many sports at the Winter Olympics are utterly alien to me, because of our climate here I just don't follow them. Love the downhill and the ski jumping, but it's really an education to see many of these sports. Has given us a turn of phrase in our lexicon though - "Doing a Bradbury".

And can I just ask some guys who might understand...

The luge and the skeleton. Please explain.

Now I don't want to speak poorly of the sports when this unfortunate fellow has just died, but honestly, I mean, who stands there and says "Hmm, a steep track of solid ice - reckon I'll grab my esky lid and head down there"? Seriously, absolutely insane. Why do they need those poxy X Games that skateboard kids go to after not washing for a month, when they have the luge and the skeleton?

And look, I'm a parent right. How the **** can any sane parent say to their kid "Sure honey, you want to do 150 ks head first down solid, steep ice with nothing around you to protect you? Yeah, what time's training, I'll drive you over". GAGF. I saw this girl from the Canadian skeleton team talking about it this morning - I mean this girl was stunning, drop dead gorgeous. Also seemed pretty bright, so she clearly hasn't had a bad crash yet. I'm just sitting here thinking "No way, how the **** did her old man let her do that? That's crazy".

So, what am I missing here? And please, not the "It's a rush" thing OK. Of course it's a rush, but so are lots of things that aren't suicidal. I seriously would like some answers.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can't answer that. Hakon?

The British guy, Kristian Bromley, actually did a doctorate in sled design or something of the like...

Steulen

International Regular
So many sports at the Winter Olympics are utterly alien to me, because of our climate here I just don't follow them. Love the downhill and the ski jumping, but it's really an education to see many of these sports. Has given us a turn of phrase in our lexicon though - "Doing a Bradbury".

And can I just ask some guys who might understand...

The luge and the skeleton. Please explain.

Now I don't want to speak poorly of the sports when this unfortunate fellow has just died, but honestly, I mean, who stands there and says "Hmm, a steep track of solid ice - reckon I'll grab my esky lid and head down there"? Seriously, absolutely insane. Why do they need those poxy X Games that skateboard kids go to after not washing for a month, when they have the luge and the skeleton?

And look, I'm a parent right. How the **** can any sane parent say to their kid "Sure honey, you want to do 150 ks head first down solid, steep ice with nothing around you to protect you? Yeah, what time's training, I'll drive you over". GAGF. I saw this girl from the Canadian skeleton team talking about it this morning - I mean this girl was stunning, drop dead gorgeous. Also seemed pretty bright, so she clearly hasn't had a bad crash yet. I'm just sitting here thinking "No way, how the **** did her old man let her do that? That's crazy".

So, what am I missing here? And please, not the "It's a rush" thing OK. Of course it's a rush, but so are lots of things that aren't suicidal. I seriously would like some answers.
It's just simple sledding that got out of hand. Read Simon Barnes' brilliant take on it all in The Times..

...hold on...

there you go.

And Burgey, sweet dreams if you think you can stop your kids from doing what they want with their lives.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just simple sledding that got out of hand. Read Simon Barnes' brilliant take on it all in The Times..

...hold on...

there you go.

And Burgey, sweet dreams if you think you can stop your kids from doing what they want with their lives.
Cheers mate.

If my kids come to me and say they want to luge, they can take themselves to practice. That's all I'm saying.

cpr

International Coach
Just seen something about the crash, bit disconcerning seeing steel girders right next to the track and no protection at the sides. Lets face it not everyone out there is world class, and one little error can send you flying, surely a bit more padding wouldn't have gone amiss. Think its pretty careless by the organisers to leave steel poles next to the track completely exposed....

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The theory was that gravity forces meant it could never happen though. Always a first time.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Just seen something about the crash, bit disconcerning seeing steel girders right next to the track and no protection at the sides. Lets face it not everyone out there is world class, and one little error can send you flying, surely a bit more padding wouldn't have gone amiss. Think its pretty careless by the organisers to leave steel poles next to the track completely exposed....
I seriously doubt that a bit of padding is going to do much difference at that speed if any at all. Even nailing a stationary marshmellow at that speed would probably **** you up royally.