• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiger Woods

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No, because he decided to turn pro and knew full well what that entails what he did was extremely stupid and neither he nor anyone else should be silly enough to think he'd get his 'private time' when the **** hit the fan.

I always find it funny when someone in the public eye expects to be left alone if a controversy hits. If they were left alone they would still be brilliant at what they do, but they wouldn't be making millions if no one was watching. Unfortunately, when you make it big in something like that, you can't pick and choose when people watch you.
you can't pick and choose what tabloid is after a spicy tale, but that doesn't make it right...i can understand and accept that sort of thing happening to say an actor who lives out his life and his peccadilloes in public...a lot of them actually do it to stay in the public eye...tiger's case is very, very different..he had never sought to expose his personal side in public...and people came to watch him play golf and he was making millions off that...

As you can see from sponsors pulling out of personal endorsements, at least some of the money flowing into both Tiger's pockets and the game's was on the back of his image. Now that's been tarnished those dollars may drop at least slightly.
the image of a golfer, not that of the perfect family man...which endorsement of his was based on family values or something like that? and the proof of that is if he comes back and continues playing as brilliantly as before, he will get his share of new endorsements, there is no doubt about that...obviously some of these companies don't want him to be their spokesman now that his personal reputation has taken a big hit and his earnings will take a hit in the short term...but he will survive i think...

If you honestly think Tiger would be unaffected by the adulation and attention he gets just for being Tiger I think you might be slightly off the mark. All he's really done is take advantage of the fact that he'd have girls throwing themselves at him because he's Tiger. He may not have stood in front of a microphone and said he expects to be treated like a God, but his actions suggest he thought he was untouchable. Either that or incredibly stupid. And I don't think the latter would be even close to the truth.
his actions suggest that he thought he could get away with it and he might have been encouraged by being able to hide it for so long...i see him as reckless, spoilt, immature, irresponsible, thoughtless...just don't see any delusions of divinity based on what i have heard...

It would be difficult, with all the attention, to stay on the straight and narrow though. I saw Aaron Baddely at a Aust PGA function after the final round at Royal QLD years ago and he had 4-5 girls around him on the dance floor all giggling away. Unfortunately for the girls Aaron wasn't going home with anyone but Jesus :) Mind you, he's done very well for himself in the end.
from what i hear and read, infidelity is quite common on the golf tours, especially among top golfers...tiger's level of excess is probably uncommon but it's not like every other golfer is this wonderful, kind, caring family man and tiger is the only cheater among them...

Still, Tiger's lived it up in the limelight and made money from it, he just has to put up with it now.
that is wrong...once again he has played his golf in the limelight, not his personal life...

please note that i am not referring to you here but in my strong opinion, the glee with which a lot of people are tearing into him right now has a lot to do with the surfacing of a long suppressed, simmering resentment at his enormous success as a black man in what is still considered to be a white man's game...

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
you can't pick and choose what tabloid is after a spicy tale, but that doesn't make it right...i can understand and accept that sort of thing happening to say an actor who lives out his life and his peccadilloes in public...a lot of them actually do it to stay in the public eye...tiger's case is very, very different..he had never sought to expose his personal side in public...and people came to watch him play golf and he was making millions off that...

the image of a golfer, not that of the perfect family man...which endorsement of his was based on family values or something like that? and the proof of that is if he comes back and continues playing as brilliantly as before, he will get his share of new endorsements, there is no doubt about that...obviously some of these companies don't want him to be their spokesman now that his personal reputation has taken a big hit and his earnings will take a hit in the short term...but he will survive i think...

his actions suggest that he thought he could get away with it and he might have been encouraged by being able to hide it for so long...i see him as reckless, spoilt, immature, irresponsible, thoughtless...just don't see any delusions of divinity based on what i have heard...

from what i hear and read, infidelity is quite common on the golf tours, especially among top golfers...tiger's level of excess is probably uncommon but it's not like every other golfer is this wonderful, kind, caring family man and tiger is the only cheater among them...

that is wrong...once again he has played his golf in the limelight, not his personal life...

please note that i am not referring to you here but in my strong opinion, the glee with which a lot of people are tearing into him right now has a lot to do with the surfacing of a long suppressed, simmering resentment at his enormous success as a black man in what is still considered to be a white man's game...
I still don't know how to respond after each paragraph :unsure:, so I'll have to do it all at once haha

Tiger's fortunate enough to live at Isleworth so he doesn't really have to worry about press camping outside his house from what I can understand. He's managed to keep his family life quite private up until now, which is miraculous considering his status in the sport and globally as a sportsperson. However, for someone who never sought to expose their private side in public he's done a wonderful job of it the past few months.

His endorsements weren't solely based on him being a great golfer either. If they were then he wouldn't have been representing Gillette, financial companies etc etc. There was an expectation obviously that he was pretty clean cut. When he was put with Roger Federer (and some other bloke!?) in the Gillette ads I'm fairly sure they were supposed to represent a certain type of image. That's why he was dropped by some of them when the **** hit the fan. He got the endorsements in the first place because he was a great golfer, with that went an expectation he was leading a certain type of lifestyle.

I'm sure he'll survive too. He could never play golf again and he'll be a millionaire the rest of his life.

I wasn't saying he's the only one who does this either. I'm sure others do too. But, "well, they did it too", stops being an excuse when you're 5 or 6 years old. Plenty of people do it who aren't famous. But the expectation that he'd be left alone when he's the no.1 golfer and possibly the best ever is not logical. He's doing pretty well at staying out of the limelight after a pretty torrid couple of weeks when the story broke. It's pretty funny that people are saying 'poor Tiger, leave him alone'. His wife undoubtedly wants to see his nuts nailed to a cross and paraded through all the major cities. :happy:

There could be a very valid reason why he's tried to keep his private life so private over the years in hindsight too, i.e: the fact that he was screwing a heap of other women.

I agree with you that some people would undoubtedly being enjoying this due to the fact he's black. I think it's also because he's turned out to be far more human than maybe a lot of people expected. It's strange to expect sports stars to be perfect, but personally I don't think too much about what they're doing outside golf (or any other sport) until something like this happens. Tiger would've been one of the last people I would've picked to turn up on the front page in a *** scandal, so when it came out in public I was definitely interested to find out what happened.

To be honest, I don't really think he's an arsehole for being caught. He's just another person. And you're right, he didn't sell himself as the perfect family man...that was the media. He must've squirmed a few times though when that was how things were portrayed. It's quite funny.

Anyway, I hope he comes back and plays some good golf sometime in the not-too-distant future. It'll be an interesting first press conference!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had a meeting today with a company that sponsors Tiger

According to them, sales have not been affected as their purchasers see him as a golfer not role model AND television networks will be asking "record" prices for ad slots in his return PGA tourney

In short, they saw it not only as a storm in a teacup but potentially a benefit to them if he comes back and wins