• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiger Woods

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So is snooker. You ever tried to play 19 frames? Holy ****. There's a reason they do so much fitness, you know. Matches can last 8 or 9 hours. And if you miss the target by a milimetre even once, you quite often hand your opponent the frame.

I don't know whether snooker, darts golf are sports, but I can't really see how one is and the others aren't.
Would say golf is and the others are not tbh, think there's a thread around somewhere where Mitchell agreed that anything you can play in a pub is not a sport, but I cbf to go into that again.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So is snooker. You ever tried to play 19 frames? Holy ****. There's a reason they do so much fitness, you know. Matches can last 8 or 9 hours. And if you miss the target by a milimetre even once, you quite often hand your opponent the frame.

I don't know whether snooker, darts golf are sports, but I can't really see how one is and the others aren't.
Again, I think the golf swing is a little more physical than hitting a snooker ball.

Having been around golf for a long time myself and seen mates who are professional and what they do to prepare, stay in shape and on the course I'm happy to call it a sport.

Matteh

How can you compare Snooker to Golf on a physical level?

19 frame matches are split over at least one day, think it's actually two days with large gaps in between every 8 or so frames. If you've lost a frame, chances are you've spent 30 minutes sat around doing nothing anyway.

Golf is an almost constantly moving sport. You hit a ball, you walk after it, you hit it again, you walk after it. The only time you're not moving is the minute or so when the other guy is hitting the ball.

The golf swing is a full body movement compared to the lower arm movement involved in hitting a cue ball. Which one is clearly the most physical?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You tend to take more years to win majors in golf and have a longer career span. So comparison like that is futile.
The fact is no one has won more major than Roger in Tennis and I dont think anyone was anywhere close to 15 @ age 28. In Tiger's case Jack has 4 more than him and who knows how long it takes for him to get there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I do now think he's a knob though.

I still respect his ability and admire his achievements, but I used to enjoy his success. Now I won't, because I think he's a knob.
Just wondering, are you going to think about him being a knob when he hits great shots after great shot ?

social

I play both and I think Tennis is way more tiring than Golf.
Physically yes, mentally no

You can play a bad shot in tennis and generally it's just a point and you get a chance to correct your mistake

At the highest level, if you relax/lose concentration on one shot in golf then that can be the ball game.

In that way, it's a lot like batting only not as extreme

social

Just wondering, are you going to think about him being a knob when he hits great shots after great shot ?
I predict that all will be forgiven by most

Personally, I couldnt give a toss about his private life as he's never been a role model to me, just a great golfer

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The fact is no one has won more major than Roger in Tennis and I dont think anyone was anywhere close to 15 @ age 28. In Tiger's case Jack has 4 more than him and who knows how long it takes for him to get there.
Tiger has achieved far more majors at his age than Jack had and it is far tougher to win majors in golf. The difference between the two players is of only 1 major. Federer's achievement of 15 majors at the age of 28 is phenomenal but pales in comparison to Woods 14 golf majors at such a young golf age.

Last edited:

Matteh

I'd say to win a major at either sport is pretty much equally as hard. The fact is that Tiger Woods isn't even the pinnacle of his sport yet whereas Federer is.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tiger has achieved far more majors at his age than Jack had and it is far tougher to win majors in golf.
That's the fallacy in the argument. Jack turned pro in 1961, By 1975 he had won 14 Majors. Tiger turned pro in 1996, by 2010 he has 14. Which means both players have 14 majors in 14 years. So your argument has major holes in it.

Also, how do you come to the conclusion that it is much tougher to win majors in Golf Compared to Tennis ?

The difference between the two players is of only 1 major. Federer's achievement of 15 majors at the age of 28 is phenomenal but pales in comparison to Woods 14 golf majors at such a young golf age.
If it is that easy to win majors in Tennis ( In comparison to Golf) then how come no one before Roger had ever won 15 ? I am still struggling to understand how the 15 Majors in (12 years) Tennis pales in comparison to 14 majors (in 14 years).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Physically yes, mentally no

You can play a bad shot in tennis and generally it's just a point and you get a chance to correct your mistake

At the highest level, if you relax/lose concentration on one shot in golf then that can be the ball game.

In that way, it's a lot like batting only not as extreme
All true but at the same time In Golf, returns are higher for hitting a great shot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is very random in golf and two bad strokes can mean you wont win a title. You have to be consistent throughout to win the major. In tennis, it's not like that.

Sanz, I didn't know Nicklaus did it in 14 years as well. Nicklaus and Tiger.are both are about par on greatness then as it stands right now, then but that is a completely different point to Federer v Tiger.

Son Of Coco

Personally I will yeah, I'll still think he's a great golfer but hitting decent golf shots doesn't grant you a pass on being a decent person.

"He's a ****!"
"Yeah...but you should see him hit a golf ball"

Nah

If you want to be treated like a normal person away from the golf course, i.e - have your privacy and live a normal family life then you shouldn't expect to be treated like a God in public because you can hit a golf ball. I find it funny that a bloke can go out and **** 13 women and people go "but it's his private life, leave him alone". It's not, and it never was from the moment he decided to turn pro at 17 and was a brilliant player.

I'll still follow him though on the golf course. He's brilliant to watch.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

All true but at the same time In Golf, returns are higher for hitting a great shot.
Not really. You still have to turn around the next hole and do it all again. You have less control over what your opponent is doing when you play golf.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I play both and I think Tennis is way more tiring than Golf.
No offence Sanz but that's the most obvious statement of all time.

But Golf is undoubtedly more tiring and physical than darts or snooker.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Won't be any different. Might not be a popular opinion here, but I feel exactly the same way about Shane Warne. Genius with a cricket ball in his hand, but can't stand the bloke.

Personally I will yeah, I'll still think he's a great golfer but hitting decent golf shots doesn't grant you a pass on being a decent person.

"He's a ****!"
"Yeah...but you should see him hit a golf ball"

Nah

If you want to be treated like a normal person away from the golf course, i.e - have your privacy and live a normal family life then you shouldn't expect to be treated like a God in public because you can hit a golf ball. I find it funny that a bloke can go out and **** 13 women and people go "but it's his private life, leave him alone". It's not, and it never was from the moment he decided to turn pro at 17 and was a brilliant player.

I'll still follow him though on the golf course. He's brilliant to watch.
Very well said.