• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiger Woods

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
PGA is putting up a strong face about doing well without Tiger but the ratings have already taken a hit and I am pretty sure that the season without Tiger would be dull and something I am not looking forward to.

I don't care what he does in his personal life, I am just upset that he is not playing Golf.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah point taken, although Scumacher does have a suginificantly better win ratio than Senna and Prost. He is only beaten by Ascari and Fangio, who was pretty much always in a championship winning car and that is of course always a big issue when comparing drivers.

Not going to argue that he was anything like as dominant as Bradman in terms of being just that much better than anyone else but his records still dominate the sport in a somewhat similar way.
Thing for me with Schumacher is that when faced with a rival he always lost (see Hill 94/96, Villenueve 97, Hakkinen 98/99, Alonso 05/06) and pretty much won a Championship whenever the car went well.
And course his win ratio is better than Senna/Prost. Those guys had to race against each other for one and also the likes of Piquet/Mansell/Lauda. Frankly that makes Senna's 65 poles and Prost's 51 wins outstanding.

Also, Jim Clark's the best F1 driver there ever was regardless.

Matteh

PGA is putting up a strong face about doing well without Tiger but the ratings have already taken a hit and I am pretty sure that the season without Tiger would be dull and something I am not looking forward to.

I don't care what he does in his personal life, I am just upset that he is not playing Golf.
I'd rather be ****ing than playing golf tbh.

Pothas

Thing for me with Schumacher is that when faced with a rival he always lost (see Hill 94/96, Villenueve 97, Hakkinen 98/99, Alonso 05/06) and pretty much won a Championship whenever the car went well.
And course his win ratio is better than Senna/Prost. Those guys had to race against each other for one and also the likes of Piquet/Mansell/Lauda. Frankly that makes Senna's 65 poles and Prost's 51 wins outstanding.

Also, Jim Clark's the best F1 driver there ever was regardless.
Yeah Jim Clark was imense, no doubt about that.

Schumacher was in an inferior car on a number of occasions you mention though (especially the early Ferrari days), my point with him is not that he was necessarily a better driver thatn Senna, Prost and I was certanly no fan, was delighted on all occasions when he lost. but the record which he has made for himself is incredible and will probably dominate the sport for the rest of its history.

howardj

International Coach

Normally, I would tend to agree. However, with Woods, it's the rank deception and fraud.

He has, over the years, luxuriated in, profited massively from and carefully cultivated his image as a clean cut family man who is beyond reproach.

Turns out he was a fraud.

That's what different about his behaviour to someone like Shane Warne or Wayne Carey etc.

Matteh

Yeah Jim Clark was imense, no doubt about that.

Schumacher was in an inferior car on a number of occasions you mention though (especially the early Ferrari days), my point with him is not that he was necessarily a better driver thatn Senna, Prost and I was certanly no fan, was delighted on all occasions when he lost. but the record which he has made for himself is incredible and will probably dominate the sport for the rest of its history.
My grandad likes to talk about how in an age where every other driver was sliding around corners he drove like he was on tracks, perfectly smooth and in control. Which makes it all the more bizarre he went off into the forest at Hockenheim.

I suppose in sheer numbers, but to me in some ways it'll be like Gillespie's batting average against Bangladesh. Really out of the people currently in the sport, only Vettel and Hamilton really stand a chance of getting close and even that would be in around 10 years time at least.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit more than that, you actually have to be reasonably fit to play 18 holes a day, 4 days in a row. 36 holes in a day, even more so.

Darts you can be 200kgs apparently and be world champion.

John Daly, Colin Montgomerie and Craig 'The Walrus' Stadler weren't exactly pictures of physical fitness though.
The game itself doesn't involve any physical exercise at all. The exercise involved in walking from one part of the course to another doesn't make you a sportsman.

Uppercut

As for the discussion... I'm going to have to go with Jordan. It's so rare to have that level of dominance in a team sport.

Simon

The game itself doesn't involve any physical exercise at all. The exercise involved in walking from one part of the course to another doesn't make you a sportsman.
Then why does spending 4 and a half hours in the sun hitting a ball around and being exhausted at the end make you as tired as spending a day on the cricket field?

Uppercut

Then why does spending 4 and a half hours in the sun hitting a ball around and being exhausted at the end make you as tired as spending a day on the cricket field?
It's not the golf that tires you out, it's all the walking in between.

cpr

International Coach
Because of the 19th hole.

You play 30+ legs of darts, even if you have quite strong arms, your forearm will feel like its on fire. The upper body strength, not to mention the mental focus, are impressive, just like they are in golf. Darts players are wiser in that they play a sport with a 16ft round trip.

Craig

World Traveller
Not just in match days as well, but in training it is normal for a pro golfer to hit at least 1000 balls a day.

Uppercut

Snooker players work properly hard on their fitness too. Where do they stand?

I don't mean to demean any particular sport, but it seems self-evident to me that if one of golf, darts and snooker is a sport then so are the other too.

social

I find it interesting that to date, not one other top golfer has been placed under the same scrutiny as Woods (bar Daly but he does it in public so its hardly a scoop)

According to a friend of mine who is very closely associated with players at the top of the game, Wood's behaviour is "par for the course" amongst many of these guys (makes sense - huge money, away from home, etc)

Maybe the journos are worried that they'd kill the golden goose if it went too far

Burgey

Love Tiger - all this whole thing has shown to me is that he really is close to God.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

totally agree...his personal life is his own business...

_Ed_

totally agree...his personal life is his own business...
I do now think he's a knob though.

I still respect his ability and admire his achievements, but I used to enjoy his success. Now I won't, because I think he's a knob.

Last edited: