• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Offical* EPL and Nationalwide competitions thread

anzac

International Debutant
as a Gunner's supporter I must say I am more than a little disgusted with the actions of some of the Arsenal players in the Community Shield match last night!

I have nothing against playing the game hard, but there were 3 occaisions when Arsenal players deliberately kicked Utd players - supposedly in retaliation - Cole in the first half, Jeffers & Campbell in the 2nd. Campbell in particular I can not fathom considering he missed the Cup final for the use of an elbow, and his discretion came within 5 mins of Jeffers being marched!!

IMO all of those incidents deserved a 'red', particularly after the standard had been set by the early 'yellows' given by the ref in the first 4 mins of the game.

IMO the ref tried to put his authority on the match but by failing to take stronger action on subsequent incidents he lost his credibility.

:)

anzac

International Debutant
So far as the actual game goes both teams showed that they are both some ways off top gear, although I think the weather had a hand in that.

In the first half the Arsenal defence were repeatedly squared up & ball watching, which led Utd to having the better chances in the box and scoring their goal. In the second half I thought Howard had more work to do covering his box to shut down Arsenal attacks.

Henry's free kick reminded me of similar goals scored by Pierre van H for PSV over the last couple of seasons.

Nothing conclusive can be drawn from the game & Utd deserved their victory if for no other reason than they won the penalty lottery - although they must be disappointed they were unable to create more from their player advantage following Jeffers being marched.

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
Elsewhere Arsenal have lost Seaman and not made any improvements, other than bringing in Lehmann, who is unproven.
Seaman's no great loss.

Lehmann is a good keeper and would have 50+ caps if Kahn weren't around.

Arsenal may not have brought anyone in, but the team they've got should've won the league last year (if they'd kept their heads) and I can't see past them this year since they're sticking together.

Definitely better value bet than Manure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
Newcastle will find their lack of squad depth will punish them when the going gets tough re Champs League & EPL & FA Cup & the usual backlog of postponed games!
Lack of squad depth?

They've added Bowyer and lost no-one of note - that's not a lack IMO!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
many people reckon newcastle have a genuine chance this year-i tend to disagree, my gunners will win.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it looks as though Kleberson is a done deal for Man Utd, and its been reported they've signed Portuguese hotshot Cristiano Ronaldo which would be a huge signing.

But IMO I think its the Man Utd defence that needs addressing.

Bazza

International 12th Man
What needs addressing re the defence?

We've brought in a new keeper.

Silvestre and Ferdinand are a quality partnership in the middle

Neville is the most solid right back in England over the last what, 7-8 years?

O'Shea is a quality player, plus we have Phil Neville, Wes Brown and a couple of youngsters.

Also it's just been announced on the news we have finalised a £12m deal for Christiano Ronaldo - he's only 18!! He better be good!!!

I think we have a decent squad despite what some might think:

- Howard, Barthez, Carroll, Ricardo
- Ferdinand, Silvestre, Neville x2, O'Shea, Brown
- Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Butt, Djembe-Djembe, Kleberson
- Ruud, Solskjaer, Ronaldo, Forlan, Bellion

The only area we have lost out from last season is Beckham, but he was kept out of the team by Solskjaer in the end anyway, and Ole can do a job for us down the right. Apart form that we have only lost Veron, yet we have brought in Kleberson and Djembe, and now added Ronaldo to our depth up front, plus bought a new keeper.

Arsenal have lost England's best keeper for the last decade, and brought in a lesser player, and if anyone saw how ineffective Pires was on Sunday after mouthing off, well......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That Manure squad doesn't look as good as last year.

Defense is still dodgy IMO.

The replacements for Beckham and Veron are both more defensive minded midfielders, giving less creativity.

Arsenal have my vote still - a team proven to do it that knows each other's game.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well I guess in about 9 months time we'll know!

I am happy with the squad, I have full faith in Alex and our pre season results have been most encouraging. Apparently we've been in great form as has Ruud.

I don't think Kleberson is a defensive minded player is he?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
well the arsenal match would have been lifting for man u. i don't think the gunners played that bad, they were just, angry.:!(

Bazza

International 12th Man
Just realised not only am I going to miss most of the 3rd test by going to Bath this weekend, but I'm also going to miss Pompey's first ever Premiership game live on Sky - might have to nip to the pub!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm wondering which is going to end first - the football season or Derby County's ineptitude.

Pickering out!!!!!

Oh, yes. When Jeffers went to Arsenal from Everton, did he have his brain removed before or after the transfer?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The latest news through the grapevine is that Chelsea have abandoned chasing Makelele & are now after Hernan Crespo at Inter..apparently Hasselbaink could be exchanged if a deal is agreed.

anzac

International Debutant
opening day esults so far......

a good win for Portsmouth at home to Villa - hopefully for Portsmouth Berger will have a decent injury free run to show his class, but O'Leary still looks like he has plenty of work to do at Villa.

another sending off for Sol Campbell, but 10 man Arsenal put Everton on the rack. Some early season rustyness and fine saves from Wright combined to keep the score down to 2-0 until Everton pulled one back with about 10 mins to go. A rash of Everton yellow cards resulted in Li Tie getting marched for his 2nd yellow, and Arsenal held on for a 2-1 win.

Man Utd started well with a 4-0 win over Bolton, with their new 18 yr old Ronoldo showing why Fergie wanted him.

Elsewhere Blackburn & Brett Emerton gave Wolves a tough welcome back with a 5-1 win. Emerton had a hand in several on Rovers goals, including scoring himself.

Leicester threw away a 2 goal advantage to draw with Southampton, with Phillips & Beattie scoring the Saints goals.

all eyes tonight on the Liverpool v Chelski clash to see how Ranieri's Russian oil millions have been spent on his new squad.