Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: *Offical* EPL and Nationalwide competitions thread

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Yes, he's a good striker. Ex-Inter and Verona.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Don't follow football as closely as I used to - certainly not Italian football anyway. Still I've never heard of Mutu (sp?) and was surprised to hear of Chelsea splashing 15-16m on him. Then again I'd never heard of Glen Johnson and he was billed as the next best thing after his 6m move.
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

International Vice-Captain
    Over here in Aus i can't follow soccer much. I don't have pay tv, which means all i can follow is either the english premier league or, *shudder*, watch the australian domestic teams "fight it out" for the premiership. You can guess i chose the former.

I have the advantage of pay-TV, but my team is in first division, so I cant watch the mighty West Brom despite going down 4-1 to Walsall
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Tim
    I fear this may be the season that Leeds United get relegated.

Originally posted by broncoman
    im going for blackburn now that Emerton is there.
    But i think Chelsea will win the title this season.
    so will i.... and if i'm not mistaken Neil will be going for them as well. i have been going for blackers for a while
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

well on CM4 howard and mutu r awesome . and believe don't say it's just a game. CM has this un canny nack of predicting...there ha been numorous things that it has predicted. like adu is aweosme on CM4...... 3 weeks after it's release Newcastle and Man U are after him:rolleyes:

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yeah Howard aparently played pretty well for Man Utd last night, looks pretty good thus far
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Vice-Captain
    good finish to arsenal v man u, terrible penalty though.

International Debutant
    Man U & Arsenal will fight it out for the spoils again this season. Although neither have bought big in the off season their respective squads are still the envy of any of the other contenders (bar the 'new' Chelsea).

I think both managers had decided to wait until the mid season window to buy if required, once their primary targets fell thru' etc. I also think that they will pick up a few more bargains as the ftransfer fees bottom out, unlike paying big dollars like Chelsea have.

Liverpool will threaten of sorts with the aquisition of Kewell, but a lot will ride upon the starting lineup & what positions they play. IMO Owen misses Heskey as the target man & Heskey is ineffective in any other position. Kewell would do better with a free reign behind the front 2 to create havok!

Newcastle will find their lack of squad depth will punish them when the going gets tough re Champs League & EPL & FA Cup & the usual backlog of postponed games!

Chelsea may have a splash but I am picking that it is too soon for their spending to come together this season - more of a threat next year.

International Debutant
    as a Gunner's supporter I must say I am more than a little disgusted with the actions of some of the Arsenal players in the Community Shield match last night!

I have nothing against playing the game hard, but there were 3 occaisions when Arsenal players deliberately kicked Utd players - supposedly in retaliation - Cole in the first half, Jeffers & Campbell in the 2nd. Campbell in particular I can not fathom considering he missed the Cup final for the use of an elbow, and his discretion came within 5 mins of Jeffers being marched!!

IMO all of those incidents deserved a 'red', particularly after the standard had been set by the early 'yellows' given by the ref in the first 4 mins of the game.

IMO the ref tried to put his authority on the match but by failing to take stronger action on subsequent incidents he lost his credibility.

International Debutant
    So far as the actual game goes both teams showed that they are both some ways off top gear, although I think the weather had a hand in that.

In the first half the Arsenal defence were repeatedly squared up & ball watching, which led Utd to having the better chances in the box and scoring their goal. In the second half I thought Howard had more work to do covering his box to shut down Arsenal attacks.

Henry's free kick reminded me of similar goals scored by Pierre van H for PSV over the last couple of seasons.

Nothing conclusive can be drawn from the game & Utd deserved their victory if for no other reason than they won the penalty lottery - although they must be disappointed they were unable to create more from their player advantage following Jeffers being marched.

I read in my paper that Mutu has really good dribbling skills which is good.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bazza
    Elsewhere Arsenal have lost Seaman and not made any improvements, other than bringing in Lehmann, who is unproven.
    Seaman's no great loss.

Lehmann is a good keeper and would have 50+ caps if Kahn weren't around.

Arsenal may not have brought anyone in, but the team they've got should've won the league last year (if they'd kept their heads) and I can't see past them this year since they're sticking together.

Definitely better value bet than Manure.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tim
    I don't know much about Mutu. Anybody else know if hes a good striker?
    Voted best striker in Serie A last year, so I guess he's not bad!

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information