• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Association Football Draft

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Chose 86 because the AFL/Rugby ones were 1987 and 86 made more sense so we could include stars of that World Cup. For example, a good Maradona not the one that was done for drugs in 94 or was average in Italia 90.

The late 80s is about right given the average age of the forum for most people to have seen or know of a large amount of players.

I'd be tempted by Premiership players only, but that would rule out Chris Greenacre.
Just noticed this. I don't think maradona was average in italia 90. He wasn't as good as he was in 86, but it wasn't a very good Argie side and he basically took them to the final.

Pretty dreary WC tbf although it's in many ways one of my favourites as I had a highlights video of it when I was a kid that I used to watch every three days, I'd always hope Waddle's shot never bounced back off the post against FRG although I believe it wouldn't have counted anyway, time up, bla

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just noticed this. I don't think maradona was average in italia 90. He wasn't as good as he was in 86, but it wasn't a very good Argie side and he basically took them to the final.

Pretty dreary WC tbf although it's in many ways one of my favourites as I had a highlights video of it when I was a kid that I used to watch every three days, I'd always hope Waddle's shot never bounced back off the post against FRG although I believe it wouldn't have counted anyway, time up, bla
Not really, tbh. Argies made the final by playing dog-turd defensive football (Italy were more adventurous in their semi, which says it all) and Caniggia nicking the odd goal. If memory serves they needed pens in the quarters and semis to advance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair enough, you'll remember it better than me (because you're so old tbh)
Ha, indeed so. Probably the worst WC quality of football-wise (of the ones I can properly remember), but it's the one I recall most fondly. Cameroon beating yer Argies in the opener was absolutely magical.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ha, indeed so. Probably the worst WC quality of football-wise (of the ones I can properly remember), but it's the one I recall most fondly. Cameroon beating yer Argies in the opener was absolutely magical.
Even worse than 94? Would take some beating...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's up (or down) there, tbh. Strikes me as the most defensive tournament I can remember, fittingly for an Italian hosted finals I suppose. I think it was played under the old back-pass law too (he said without checking :unsure:), which was changed for a reason, frankly.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Argies made the final by playing dog-turd defensive football (Italy were more adventurous in their semi, which says it all) and Caniggia nicking the odd goal. If memory serves they needed pens in the quarters and semis to advance.
Indeed - they pretty much played for penalties in that tournament, and it just so happened that Goycochea was in the penalty-saving form of his life.

Yep, '94 comfortably better than '90 for mine though neither were vintage tournaments.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's up (or down) there, tbh. Strikes me as the most defensive tournament I can remember, fittingly for an Italian hosted finals I suppose. I think it was played under the old back-pass law too (he said without checking :unsure:), which was changed for a reason, frankly.
Yeah, backpass law came into effect after Euro 92 IIRC.

I thought WC94 was okay, but it was the first one I watched properly and it's the only time a white has played in one whilst a white (we've had players like Gary Stevens and Ian Goodison who played in them before joining us, oh and ****ing McAteer) so I backed the Irish all the way.

Dire, dire final though.

98 probably the best WC that I've watched

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Get my goalkeeping situation sorted early.

Kasper Schmeichel's more talented father; Peter Schmeichel

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 1 -

Uppercut - Diego Maradona
Matteh - Gianfranco Zola
Haakon - Zinedine Zidane
The Sean - Marco Van Basten
Michaelf7777777 - Paolo Maldini
Marc - Ruud Gullit
Corrin - John Aldridge
Sledger - Dennis Bergkamp