• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Sports Documentaries

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've only seen Once In A Lifetime & When We Were Kings from that list. Enjoyed the former more, tbh, because Ali has been slightly done to death as a subject by various filmmakers over the years.

The story of the NY Cosmos & the NASL is a fascinating and largely forgotten one, until the docu redressed the balance. In the late 70s the Americans were playing fantasy football for real with the world's game; anyone who was anyone played over there.

ITV did a rather good documentary on Brian Clough this year, called simply Clough, however my personal favourite was a 3-parter written & presented by the legendary football scribe Hugh McIlvaney called The Football Men. It focussed on the three Scottish managers who shaped British football in the second half of the 20th century: Bill Shankly, Jock Stein & Sir Matt Busby.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Channel 4 did a very interesting series on football sometime in the last 5-8 years iirc, I can't remember what it was called, but they had some very good ones on Sven Goran Eriksson and Alex Ferguson.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The list is complete crap if only for the reason that they put 'Wrestling With Shadows' on it. The only thing that documentary is good for is demonstrating what a complete mark Bret Hart is for himself.

I cringed when I saw the scene where Bret Hart is talking about how he'd prefer to see his character getting raped in the ring than lose to Shawn in Montreal. "I won't let them rape me."

Biggest load of **** I've ever seen.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Number 8 once in a lifetime is an excellent doco and it's the one I would have mentioned before seeing the list.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have seen Dogtown and Z Boys and When We Were Kings from that list (was watching the latter on ABC when the planes hit the twin towers...came back from making dinner and thought "What the hell is this, I don't remember this part")

Another really good sports documentary is 'The Other Final':

THE OTHER FINAL

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't seen Unforgiveable Blackness, but if it's even a remotely well put together piece on Jack Johnson, it would be well worth a look.

OT, but what are your favourite sports movies? There are so many, most of them are pretty diabolical. Excluding pure docos, I still think This Sporting Life is my all time favourite.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Only documentary I've seen in recent times is the Bulls dynasty one, I thought it did a pretty decent job but it spans 6 DVDs so requires a bit of patience.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I saw the Jack Johnson one... it is really long but pretty brilliant. He led an amazing life and it's a shame how forgotten he is. He really was an incredible boxer and person. I urge others to watch it and, if need be, in two sessions since it's almost 4 hrs long.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah look, it would be my pleasure.

There's this great doco on Usain Bolt...