• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Rugby League Four Nations Tournament

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The mention of Gordon would have nothing to do with the fact that he plays for Penrith now does it? :ph34r:
For most players it would ;) But Uate aside I wouldn't have anyone else on the Wing. Just as good positionally as Perett, perhaps slightly behind Nightingale under the high ball but he's far more of a threat with the ball than either. Very hard to tackle, and gets away some great offloads. I actually think he's too good for the wing. I'm hoping he gets a shot centre next year. He was Jarryd Hayne circa 09 like at fullback for a period in the final third of the year.

Lachlan Coote for the NSW fullback spot!! Now THAT'S black tinted glasses :cool:

Julian87

State Captain
Gordon is better than both of them. I'd take Uate over any other winger personally though. The guy is a freak. Pretty happy my two favorite wingers could well be lining up for NSW next year.

Agree about a technically sound defensive winger being criminally underrated though. Just ask the Cowboys. A weak link on the edges is repeatedly punished by smart opponents.
A sound defensive winger is underrated an you rate Uate the best.

You've just proved that under rated statement in one hit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For most players it would ;) But Uate aside I wouldn't have anyone else on the Wing.
Kind of irrelevant thing to mention though in the context of the conversation. We were debating New Zealand wingers and the first thing you decided to mention was who you thought the second best non-NZ winger was. You then mentioned who you thought the best was, as a side point. You may or may not be biased in your actual assessment of Gordon but you certainly wouldn't have made that post the way you did if he didn't play for Penrith.

What amuses me though is the fact that Gordon wasn't rated even nearly as highly as a winger when he was actually playing wing as opposed to how people rate him now he's a gun stint as a running fullback. I'm not directing this at you at all because Penrith fans have always rated him, but it always makes me chuckle when an under-rated winger plays a few games at fullback, carves up in attack and then has everyone waxing lyrical about how good a winger they are. Hayne's a great example of this and, even more hilariously, forgot how to defend on the wing when he was playing fullback at club level and is now actually a terrible winger. The fact of the matter is, it's a lot easier to look awesome in attack at fullback than it is on the wing. Most good attacking wingers would look right at home as running fullbacks in attack - Perrett and Nightingale have shown this in the past too. Gordon's always been pretty good - very under-rated really - but I think his spell at fullback has actually put him in danger of becoming over-rated.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
A sound defensive winger is underrated an you rate Uate the best.

You've just proved that under rated statement in one hit.
Not really. How does my favorite winger being an explosive one have anything to do with how highly solid, less explosive wingers are rated. The fact that players like Gordon, Perrett, Nightingale etc get a mention tells you that I rate them higher than the average person. Uate is just that much of a freak.

Yes it is becuse Coote's behind Dugan, Stewart, Hayne and Gidley.
Whoooosh.

Kind of irrelevant thing to mention though in the context of the conversation. We were debating New Zealand wingers and the first thing you decided to mention was who you thought the second best non-NZ winger was. You then mentioned who you thought the best was, as a side point. You may or may not be biased in your actual assessment of Gordon but you certainly wouldn't have made that post the way you did if he didn't play for Penrith.
Was referring to Julian stating his opinion that he'd have Perett over any other winger. The context moved from Kiwi wingers to general wingers which is why I put my 2c in.

Obviously I'm somewhat biased towards Gordon, I don't think that makes me wrong though. But I think that frames my tone (which is always somewhat tongue in cheek) rather than my convictions. If you can speak somewhat objectively about players from your own team you're by default in a better position to judge them, as you watch them far more critically.

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand 46 -0 up over PNG at half time. Declaration time for Benji Marshall surely.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia are going to have to improve 'big time' to beat the Kiwis. They will want to win against England to make sure of their spot in the final.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sigh. Lewis over after 4. Could've driven a bus through the gap he had. Playing a bloke in the centre who hasn't played there for months: yeah, that's a good idea.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
WTF? Why bother with a TMO if he gets blatantly wrong shouts like that? Hits Cronk's hand - goes forward - knock on, yeah? Bull****, tbh.

Great kick from Locky tho, tbf.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
could get messy this, but that was a shocking video ref decision.

that was another that should have been a knock on, pretty sure it went forward off tate

Mister Wright

I only watched up until the 70th minute, but yeah the refereeing was pretty disgusting. I was disappointed in the first half when the pass was called forward after Leroy made a break. He looks like he has some pace, and then some.

Julian87

State Captain
The loss to PNG will be embarassing.

Wouldn't be surprised to see NZ towell Australia over there. Don't rate a lot of the structures and selections of the Aussie side at all.

Mister Wright

Will be great to see Boyd get a run at fullback. Looking forward to see how he goes at International level in the 1.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lawrence and Tate as a centre combination for Australia.

FMD. Not exactly Cronin and Rogers or Kenny and Miles, is it?