• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
How do people see Manly doing this year? Any team that have been successful but then loses its captain and halfback could struggle a bit. I reckon they'll do ok but outside of Watmough its hard to see who will step up for them when the pressure is really on, Foran is quality but young, Lyon is solid but hardly an organiser while Cherry-Evans and Hogkinson are rookies so who knows what they will bring.
I think they'll still be there abouts... Won't be as threatening as recent seasons but will still be there..

Foran is the key for me, if he handles the pressure then they will do well if not they be bottom end of the 8 or even just miss out...

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would you have as Panthers as 1,6,7,9 and 14

I would go with:
1 Coote 6 Graham 7 Walsh 9 Kingston 14 Sammut - I don't rate Burns, Iosefa unlucky but he needs to do more than he did in 09.

Also, I don't think Panthers props are anything special at all, great backrow depth though, but someone like Nathan Smith is a little wasted coming off the bench when you've got 80 minute players such as Waterhouse and Lewis in the backrow already.
:-O Petero? The rest I'll pay though. Puletua is getting on although had some cracking games last year. Bell works hard and does ok but has defensive issues. Grant/McKendry need to show more. Hoping for the best from Laurie. Very disappointed that we lost Arona (damn you chooks :ranting:) who was a shining light in a disappointing 09 NYC team.

Smith is part of that "dead wood" I mentioned. Good guy, hard worker but we have many many better backrow options. Cooper and Paulo fall into the same category.

Agree with your analysis re 1,6,7,9,14 with the caveat that I'd rather Iosefa at 9 IF (and it's a big if) the coach thinks he's ready. Had a shocking 09, but he's got enormous potential. Gordon should be our second choice fullback which is scary if he has lost that yard of pace for good.

Happy with the Burns pickup because I can't see Graham going the entire year injury free. He played the second half of the year with a busted shoulder and it showed in his performance. He's still young, so I think his body still has some toughening up to do. Some competition that isn't an improvised backrower will keep their motivation up too imo. Not to mention the depth issue.

My round 1 team would be.

1. Coote
2. Tighe
3. Jennings
4. Blair
5. Gordon
6. Graham
7. Walsh
8. Petero
9. Kingston (or Iosefa as above)
10. Bell
11. House
12. Plum
13. Lewis

14. Sammut
15. Laurie
16. Pritchard
17. Puletua/Grant

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Elliott seems to like to use Wade Graham on the bench so it wouldnt surprise me to see
6 Burns 7 Walsh 9 Kingston 14 Graham and then move Burns into the 9 after about half an hour and bring on Graham. Not the worst move imo.
Not a fan of Graham on the bench personally, though you're right that Elliott does seem to like that option. I'd rather see someone with a bit more impact coming off the bench, or someone that can cover more positions. I'd rather see Sammut at dummy half than Burns too.

How do people see Manly doing this year? Any team that have been successful but then loses its captain and halfback could struggle a bit. I reckon they'll do ok but outside of Watmough its hard to see who will step up for them when the pressure is really on, Foran is quality but young, Lyon is solid but hardly an organiser while Cherry-Evans and Hogkinson are rookies so who knows what they will bring.
Depends on how the Brett Stewart issue pans out imo. If they lose him for an extended period of time they're in trouble.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Purtell has some ability as a tryscorer, it doesnt seem that long ago Melbourne offered him 250k to go down there but he stayed with Canberra. Smith on the other hand is just awful unless you want someone to tackle for your life.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Isnt it funny Tigers fans are happy Laurie is gone... He's lazy and has an attitude problem... Pretty much expected considering he hangs around the man Mundane..
Hoping he grows up tbh. Could be a cracking player if he gets his head right.

Julian87

State Captain
Purtell has some ability as a tryscorer, it doesnt seem that long ago Melbourne offered him 250k to go down there but he stayed with Canberra. Smith on the other hand is just awful unless you want someone to tackle for your life.
Haha Purtell was not offered 250k to go to Melbourne. He was offered a contract but suggesting it was much more than 100k is absolutely laughable.

AND Purtell is much maligned but he is a pretty good, safe NRL winger who knows his way to the try line and is pretty good positionally in that position. Put him into centre though and he becomes one of the worst outside backs in the competition. Considering Elliott loves playing his backs out of position (Chalk, Smith, Howell etc etc) don't be surprised to see Purts in the centres with someone like Tighe on the wing.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I'm not too disappointed with the Purtell signing tbh. It was sort of a toss up between him and Tighe for the other wing spot. Tighe was getting over the whole feet for hands thing he has going last year though so he got my vote. He's good depth if nothing else.

$250k is overs though.

Elliott's love for Smith was the reason for the :puke:

Simon

Dont think we'll be quite that bad, sure we have pretty bad depth and are carrying a couple of players but we sitll have the likes of Folau, Lockyer, Wallace, Thaiday who are no mugs.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Lockyear is getting on though. An injury to him and I could see it turning into a rough year for the Broncos particularly with Hodges out.

Simon

Lockyear is getting on though. An injury to him and I could see it turning into a rough year for the Broncos particularly with Hodges out.
Could say that for most teams, Cowboys will run last if Thurston gets injured etc, Tigers no hope without Benji etc...

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Could say that for most teams, Cowboys will run last if Thurston gets injured etc, Tigers no hope without Benji etc...
Thing is Locky is more likely to get injured due to his age.

That said I think I made the same prediction last year and he went ok.

Simon

Yeh maybe, even without Lockyer I'd still back us to finish above Sharks, Roosters, Warriors and Cowboys. Wallace has generally played his best for us when Locky hasnt been there, also by all reports Tim Smith has been training the house down in the pre season.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm interested at how Greg Bird will go this year for the Titans. I personally believe we have enough of his types and his bimbo girlfriend on the Gold Coast, but there seems to be a better enviroment up here on the Gold Coast then down in Sydney. The Titans management have tight reigns over their players and will not take any BS. I mean they nearly sacked Chris Walker because he got drunk and went to a nightclub in Surfers where he was not meant to go to.

Also Clinton Toopi is having a trial with the Titans.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean they nearly sacked Chris Walker because he got drunk and went to a nightclub in Surfers where he was not meant to go to.
Bird will get alot more leeway than someone like Walker.

I actually reckon he'll pull his head in and just play. He strikes me as a tosser, but not one with chronic mental problems like say Carney who can't stay out of trouble even when he's on his "last chance".

Hope Tim Smith goes well too. Felt a bit sorry for him tbh.

Craig

World Traveller
Bird will get alot more leeway than someone like Walker.

I actually reckon he'll pull his head in and just play. He strikes me as a tosser, but not one with chronic mental problems like say Carney who can't stay out of trouble even when he's on his "last chance".

Hope Tim Smith goes well too. Felt a bit sorry for him tbh.
I used to go to school with him and was in a few classes with him as well. I saw him in the paper doing pre-season training with the Broncos, and FMD he looked huge. You know, the drug that made Mark McGwire millions.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Previous years i would agree, however this year i wouldnt..

If Benji was to get injured, it would be a case of moving Moltz to half and taumata to 5/8..

People need to remember AT was Melbournes 1st choice 5/8 before he had another brain snap... The guy is quality...

This is the 1st time in a LOOONG time that i am happy with the Tigers depth...

The way i see the Tigers lining up in Round 1

1. Moltzen
2. Tui
3. Lawrence
4. Ayshford
5. Ryan
6. Benji
7. Taumata
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Cayless
11. Ellis
12. Mataka
13. Heighington

14. Fulton
15. Gibbs
16. Payten
17. A.Fafita

Then we have the likes of Daniella, Moors, Brown, Tupou, Dwyer, Lui, Gower, Schirnack, and dare i say it, Fitzhenry who have all played 1st grade before.
Then throw in the arrival of Lote, and a few gun juniors and we are chock full of depth...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
:-O Petero? The rest I'll pay though. Puletua is getting on although had some cracking games last year. Bell works hard and does ok but has defensive issues. Grant/McKendry need to show more. Hoping for the best from Laurie. Very disappointed that we lost Arona (damn you chooks :ranting:) who was a shining light in a disappointing 09 NYC team.

Smith is part of that "dead wood" I mentioned. Good guy, hard worker but we have many many better backrow options. Cooper and Paulo fall into the same category.
Yeah obviously not Petero, but eventually he's going to have to pull up lame, and he does struggle to last a full season..

I wouldn't consider Gav Cooper deadwood, I thought he went quite well last year actually. Definitely a handy option on the bench.