• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

howardj

International Coach
I'll take a different approach then.

If you owned a company which sponsored Canberra, would you want your name associated with that type of thing? Wouldn't you be more likely to take your money elsewhere?
But why did the sponsors freak out though? Mainly because the media and others got hold of it and lost total perspective, lost the ability to take a step back and see it for what it was - a tasteless, pretty disgusting prank. I can understand the sponsors freaking out, it's more the pack mentality of the media that I hate - the 'head on a platter no matter what' mentality.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But why did the sponsors freak out though? Mainly because the media and others got hold of it and lost total perspective, lost the ability to take a step back and see it for what it was - a tasteless, pretty disgusting prank. I can understand the sponsors freaking out, it's more the pack mentality of the media that I hate - the 'head on a platter no matter what' mentality.
The sponsors freaked out because one of the players (one of the most decorated players) from the team they sponsored was pictured with his old fella in a dogs mouth. Can't blame the media for that.

Julian87

State Captain
Depends on Hayne really. They made the grand final with their current halves so even without Mateo I wouldn't have thought the 8 was a stretch if Hayne plays well.

Of course it's anyones guess as to how well Hayne decides to play.
That was a fluke though and that was more to do with Kingston than hayne IMO.

Julian87

State Captain
They just don't **** up as regularly or publicly as league players do.
OR there's only about 20 recognisable union players in Australia and only 4 fully professional teams.

If there were hundreds of young talented professional union players and a steady interest in the game there would be the same problems (probably worse considering a lot of the boys go to infamous private schools). The game may be run better so you wouldn't hear as much but if the guys playing union were actually stars in the public eye they'd be more heavily scrutinised.

It's a pretty obvious answer too really. The average punter in NSW/Qld would recognise scores and scores of league players, same in the other states when talking AFL. Most of these people would struggle to name even 5 wallabies tbh. They'd probably name Cooper, but only because he's going to end up in league eventually.

benchmark00

No it's not.

Kiwi slut loved the **** and ****ed a heap of famous blokes and realised later she could make a buck or two off it.
Yeah righto genius, keep the intellectual stuff to people with IQ's higher than their shoe size thanks. Ta.

Burgey

Exactly, which makes the sacking a much more of a grey area.
Haha, what? I can tell you now, if one of my employees was photographed with his **** in a dog's mouth and it was plastered over the net, they'd get rissoled so fast you wouldn't believe it.

Last edited:

Burgey

Lovett being briefly in court is not even a story though, when the story actually broke it was absolutely everywhere, he was even sacked by his club, whilst Manly let Brett Stewart continue playing!

When Greg Bird (for example) went to court it wasn't on the back pages, because that stuff is boring. When the story breaks it's the big issue.
Brett Stewart was stood down by the NRL for several weeks tbf.

benchmark00

Brett Stewart was stood down by the NRL for several weeks tbf.
Hence why I said Manly itbt. Still played when there were ***ual assault charges against him. I'm not saying that's wrong, but compare that to St Kilda who sacked Lovett straight away.

howardj

International Coach
The sponsors freaked out because one of the players (one of the most decorated players) from the team they sponsored was pictured with his old fella in a dogs mouth. Can't blame the media for that.
We will have to agree to vigorously disagree on Puppy-Gate.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Dane Carlaw could be coming back to Brisbane.

He's had a two-toned career really - was great in his first couple of years, but then morphed into a soft ***** cat.

Very similar pattern to Brad Meyers' career.

Julian87

State Captain
Orford to Canberra will be announced shortly.

7 Orford
6 McCrone

Should have Canberra at least mid table by the time Campese comes back considering they're behind the best forward pack in the comp. Campese can then be eased back from the bench and by the time the finals roll around he will hopefully be finding a bit of confidence at five-eighth and McCrone will be able to be used as an impact bench player.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
And Penrith have signed.......

Michael Worrincy, Yileen Gordon, Junior Paulo and several others no one's never heard of 8-)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Orford to Canberra will be announced shortly.

7 Orford
6 McCrone

Should have Canberra at least mid table by the time Campese comes back considering they're behind the best forward pack in the comp. Campese can then be eased back from the bench and by the time the finals roll around he will hopefully be finding a bit of confidence at five-eighth and McCrone will be able to be used as an impact bench player.
For the first time in a while, I agree with you about Canberra. :thumbsup:

The world feels at peace again. :p

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
You should be greatful. He's not worth that much of your cap anyway. He's looking a bit chubby too.