• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Be intruiged to know if the bloke who put the pictures into the public spotlight faces any sanctions if he was indeed an NRL player.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting double standards by the media

Personally, I've found the whole thing an absolute crock of ****.

Who cares if a guy does stupid things on Mad Monday, as long as the law is not broken which it wasn't .

Really paw form by the Raiders for caving in.
Beastiality is not explicitly illegal in the ACT, true. Animal cruelty is though!!

"ANIMAL WELFARE ACT 1992 - SECT 7
Cruelty

A person commits an offence if the person commits an act of cruelty on an animal.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units, imprisonment for 1 year or both."

howardj

International Coach
Seriuolsy though, I guess I just hate the way the media picks up certain issues and before you know it there is this big fire storm, a person is made out to be an absolute pariah and things just get way out of proportion to what actually occurred. And suddenly it's the media making decisions or forcing clubs into making decisions just because they've decided to run with an issue.

In my view, if a guy has got an otherwise unblemished slate, is not a serial offender, hasn't committed a crime, then I thnk we should be very careful about tearing his livelihood away on the back of a sensationalised incident that as demonstrated above with the Rugby Union guy who did it, is only a big deal because media organisations have decided to put it in lights. By all means though, if he does it again then he shouuld cop whatever is coming.

morgieb

Seriuolsy though, I guess I just hate the way the media picks up certain issues and before you know it there is this big fire storm, a person is made out to be an absolute pariah and things just get way out of proportion to what actually occurred. And suddenly it's the media making decisions or forcing clubs into making decisions just because they've decided to run with an issue.

In my view, if a guy has got an otherwise unblemished slate, is not a serial offender, hasn't committed a crime, then I thnk we should be very careful about tearing his livelihood away on the back of a sensationalised incident that as demonstrated above with the Rugby Union guy who did it, is only a big deal because media organisations have decided to put it in lights. By all means though, if he does it again then he shouuld cop whatever is coming.
Because everybody hates league players but no-one gives a **** about union? Seems to trash league players to get a kick out of it.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah, it's not like Quade Cooper got dragged over the coals for his indiscretions at the start of the year or anything.

What was the wallabies animal thing out of interest? was it the Quokka thing on Rottnest? What'll sell more papaers? "Low-profile Wallaby kicks quokka, WAC" or "Origin and International star gets balls licked by dog - not Charmaine Palavi as first suspected"

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it's not like Quade Cooper got dragged over the coals for his indiscretions at the start of the year or anything.
Pleease. The man got charged with burglary, and the Force were punting small furry cute little angels. Of course they made headlines.

When a union player gets dragged over the coals for taking a slash against a brick wall somewhere or makes front page news because some cops thought it would be fun to harass him on a night out then we can talk about the media having it in for the code. The two aren't even comparable in this area.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Have heard Orford will end up at Canberra and Parramatta know this so are chasing Tonga who isn't happy in Townsville.

Can't see Parra making the top 8 with their current halves, having lost Mateo who was one of their 2 go to men.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't see Parra making the top 8 with their current halves, having lost Mateo who was one of their 2 go to men.
Depends on Hayne really. They made the grand final with their current halves so even without Mateo I wouldn't have thought the 8 was a stretch if Hayne plays well.

Of course it's anyones guess as to how well Hayne decides to play.

ripper868

International Coach
Pleease. The man got charged with burglary, and the Force were punting small furry cute little angels. Of course they made headlines.
So are you suggesting that Monaghan copping oral from a dog shouldn't make headlines?

The point i was trying to make is that when Union players **** up they do get hit in the media as well.

They just don't **** up as regularly or publicly as league players do.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
So are you suggesting that Monaghan copping oral from a dog shouldn't make headlines?
Not at all. What I'm suggesting is that Phil Kearns doing it should have made headlines as well.

What I'm also suggesting is that Big Willie having a slash against a wall is not evidence that the game is rotten to the core. I'm suggesting that Matty Johns having a legal orgy 8 years ago doesn't deserve to have a 4 corners expose and national scandal blown up over it. I'm suggesting that JT having one too many is simply not news.

What I'm suggesting is that there's a national media narrative around Rugby League, in which scandals are more important than comparable scandals in other codes.

The point i was trying to make is that when Union players **** up they do get hit in the media as well.

They just don't **** up as regularly or publicly as league players do.
The thing is that players of other codes need to end up in the courts before we hear about it.

RU players don't **** up as publicly as league players, but you'll have a hard time convincing me they don't **** up as regularly.

morgieb

I'm actually inclined to think that union players are too wankery to **** up enough. And look at Lote - he lost his job for taking a girl into his room.

benchmark00

Not at all. What I'm suggesting is that Phil Kearns doing it should have made headlines as well.

What I'm also suggesting is that Big Willie having a slash against a wall is not evidence that the game is rotten to the core. I'm suggesting that Matty Johns having a legal orgy 8 years ago doesn't deserve to have a 4 corners expose and national scandal blown up over it. I'm suggesting that JT having one too many is simply not news.

What I'm suggesting is that there's a national media narrative around Rugby League, in which scandals are more important than comparable scandals in other codes.

The thing is that players of other codes need to end up in the courts before we hear about it.

RU players don't **** up as publicly as league players, but you'll have a hard time convincing me they don't **** up as regularly.
Haha spare me. Obviously you've never read a Melbourne newspaper. The scuitiny of AFL players in Melbourne is far greater than the scruitiny of NRL players in Sydney. The difference is that AFL players, and RU players, have learned to temper their behaviour because they're not ****ing stupid, unlike the vast majority of league players.

That's not to say that AFL and RU players don't **** up, they just don't do it as often as league players because they're clearly not as dumb.