Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92

Thread: Ok So.....will 2010 be as glorious a year as 1966 ?

  1. #1
    Banned George.Hinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    83

    Ok So.....will 2010 be as glorious a year as 1966 ?

    In other words can England win the 2010 FIFA world cup ?

    My view: yes they can and I have a funny feeling they will.

    Always risky to read too much into the qualification process but England look pretty impressive and if their key guys can stay fit, I can't see them not making the semis at least.
    And they actually have a decent tactician at the helm for the first time in yonks.

    Challengers : Spain obviously and Brazil can never be ruled out.

    Would be pretty surprised if the winner's other than one of those three. There's always a surprise packet in the WC but I can't really see anyone else going the distance.



    Thoughts ?

  2. #2
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,955
    Can do, but probably won't. Keeper, right-back and second striker the obvious areas of weakness that need addressing. Depth at centre-half isn't flash either as evidenced by Lescott's presence in the squad.

    TBF to Green he's done very well since he came in, but looks mildly suspect on crosses (never a massive fan of keepers who punch as first option).

    One thing in our favour (and in the favour of northern European teams generally) is that it'll be winter in SA when the tournament is played. Might be the first time a European nation has won it outside of Europe.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  3. #3
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by George.Hinton View Post
    In other words can England win the 2010 FIFA world cup ?

    My view: yes they can and I have a funny feeling they will.

    Always risky to read too much into the qualification process but England look pretty impressive and if their key guys can stay fit, I can't see them not making the semis at least.
    And they actually have a decent tactician at the helm for the first time in yonks.

    Challengers : Spain obviously and Brazil can never be ruled out.

    Would be pretty surprised if the winner's other than one of those three. There's always a surprise packet in the WC but I can't really see anyone else going the distance.



    Thoughts ?
    Very little chance, would also rate France, Italy, Argentina, Netherlands, Russia, Germany as more likely to win than England. Better technical ability in those sides just without all the hype.

    England have beaten a few pub teams in Qualification and Croatia after a send-off away plus a thumping at home, yeah I sense they will win the WC

  4. #4
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Very little chance, would also rate France, Italy, Argentina, Netherlands, Russia, Germany as more likely to win than England. Better technical ability in those sides just without all the hype.

    England have beaten a few pub teams in Qualification and Croatia after a send-off away plus a thumping at home, yeah I sense they will win the WC
    TBH, it's not yet been established if France or yer Argies will be there, even, so can't agree in their cases.

    Last time we played Germany we won 2-1 in Germany and came from 2-0 down (both goals down to defensive eff ups) to draw 2-2 in The Netherlands.

    Russia have some great attacking players, but no defence to speak of & Italy won't get jammy twice.

    Brazil & Spain are the only two countries unarguably better than us currently. We'll probably jizz it up because we usually do, but Capello is both a perfectionist (you only had to see his expressions when we cenceded last night, even four goals up it mattered to him) and a pragmatist. If we can learn how to take pens and avoid Brazil until the semis we have as good a chance as I can remember.


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Italy showed some luck to not concede a goal in open play for the entire WC (bar an own goal) I don't think so. They are just no good now. Add Totti to their side and they would be competetive again. Cassano if he wasn't a tool would be a star also.

    -------------------Buffon
    zambrotta-matrix-canavaro--grosso
    ----------------pirlo - - Gattuso

    That is a quality base for a side, was there better in 06?

    Why do England get away with the excuse 'stuffed it up' all the time, nobody outside the English speaking world is ever that surprised. The tactical and technical inferiority present from the style of play a club level sticks out like a sore thumb TBH. It should be more a surprise if they actually over achieve and make the semi's
    Last edited by Redbacks; 10-09-2009 at 03:32 AM.

  6. #6
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,274
    Grosso is a Left-back.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  7. #7
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Grosso is a Left-back.
    very true

  8. #8
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Italy showed some luck to not concede a goal in open play for the entire WC (bar an own goal) I don't think so. They are just no good now. Add Totti to their side and they would be competetive again. Cassano if he wasn't a tool would be a star also.

    -------------------Buffon
    grosso-matrix-canavaro-zambrotta
    ----------------pirlo - - Gattuso

    That is a quality base for a side, was there better in 06?
    Italy were the worst winners of a WC ever: fact. If the US hadn't have had a legitmate goal disallowed in their group game things might have been very different. As it was they beat Australia thanks to a dive, a Ukraine team who'd be flattered by "mediocre" & needed penalties to beat an obviously superior France in the final. Their only praiseworthy result was beating Germany in the semis and that relied on two goals in the last two minutes of extra time.

    Italy won't win the world cup. I'm sure of it.

  9. #9
    International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    -------------------Buffon
    zambrotta-matrix-canavaro--grosso
    ----------------pirlo - - Gattuso

    That is a quality base for a side, was there better in 06?
    Zambrotta, Pirlo, Materazzi and Gattuso are not really certainties to be in their XI come the WC.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society


    E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

  10. #10
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Zambrotta, Pirlo, Materazzi and Gattuso are not really certainties to be in their XI come the WC.
    He's talking about their base at the '06 WC.

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    If Italy can put together more of this you never know?

    Grosso v Bulgaria

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,481
    I ****ing hope not. English footy fans are painful enough to live with as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  13. #13
    In terms of winning it, well there's Brazil obviously as the big threat but after that it's just dark horses really. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they do what they did under the vegetable and pathetically let a shower of ****e like Portugal knock them out.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  14. #14
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,380
    Love it!

    Eng qualify for a major tourney (which, I might add, is well over twelve months away and no-one has a clue who'll be available or where/whom they'll play) for the first time in the last couple of attempts and CW, Sky and no doubt a whole of others are already piling the pressure on

    Odds on to end in disappointment again
    Last edited by social; 10-09-2009 at 11:12 AM.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,026
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Love it!

    Eng qualify for a major tourney (which, I might add, is well over twelve months away and no-one has a clue who'll be available or where/whom they'll play) for the first time in the last couple of attempts and CW, Sky and no doubt a whole of others are already piling the pressure on

    Odds on to end in disappointment again
    Well, one person on CW
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. England Test Matches Next Year
    By kp4captain in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 03:59 AM
  2. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 06:26 PM
  3. 2023 - Weaver's Year (Story)
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 31-12-2005, 05:22 AM
  4. Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 03:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •