• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok So.....will 2010 be as glorious a year as 1966 ?

In other words can England win the 2010 FIFA world cup ?

My view: yes they can and I have a funny feeling they will.

Always risky to read too much into the qualification process but England look pretty impressive and if their key guys can stay fit, I can't see them not making the semis at least.
And they actually have a decent tactician at the helm for the first time in yonks.

Challengers : Spain obviously and Brazil can never be ruled out.

Would be pretty surprised if the winner's other than one of those three. There's always a surprise packet in the WC but I can't really see anyone else going the distance.

Thoughts ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can do, but probably won't. Keeper, right-back and second striker the obvious areas of weakness that need addressing. Depth at centre-half isn't flash either as evidenced by Lescott's presence in the squad.

TBF to Green he's done very well since he came in, but looks mildly suspect on crosses (never a massive fan of keepers who punch as first option).

One thing in our favour (and in the favour of northern European teams generally) is that it'll be winter in SA when the tournament is played. Might be the first time a European nation has won it outside of Europe.

Redbacks

International Captain
In other words can England win the 2010 FIFA world cup ?

My view: yes they can and I have a funny feeling they will.

Always risky to read too much into the qualification process but England look pretty impressive and if their key guys can stay fit, I can't see them not making the semis at least.
And they actually have a decent tactician at the helm for the first time in yonks.

Challengers : Spain obviously and Brazil can never be ruled out.

Would be pretty surprised if the winner's other than one of those three. There's always a surprise packet in the WC but I can't really see anyone else going the distance.

Thoughts ?
Very little chance, would also rate France, Italy, Argentina, Netherlands, Russia, Germany as more likely to win than England. Better technical ability in those sides just without all the hype.

England have beaten a few pub teams in Qualification and Croatia after a send-off away plus a thumping at home, yeah I sense they will win the WC :wacko:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Very little chance, would also rate France, Italy, Argentina, Netherlands, Russia, Germany as more likely to win than England. Better technical ability in those sides just without all the hype.

England have beaten a few pub teams in Qualification and Croatia after a send-off away plus a thumping at home, yeah I sense they will win the WC :wacko:
TBH, it's not yet been established if France or yer Argies will be there, even, so can't agree in their cases.

Last time we played Germany we won 2-1 in Germany and came from 2-0 down (both goals down to defensive eff ups) to draw 2-2 in The Netherlands.

Russia have some great attacking players, but no defence to speak of & Italy won't get jammy twice.

Brazil & Spain are the only two countries unarguably better than us currently. We'll probably jizz it up because we usually do, but Capello is both a perfectionist (you only had to see his expressions when we cenceded last night, even four goals up it mattered to him) and a pragmatist. If we can learn how to take pens and avoid Brazil until the semis we have as good a chance as I can remember.

Redbacks

International Captain
Italy showed some luck to not concede a goal in open play for the entire WC :huh: (bar an own goal) I don't think so. They are just no good now. Add Totti to their side and they would be competetive again. Cassano if he wasn't a tool would be a star also.

-------------------Buffon
zambrotta-matrix-canavaro--grosso
----------------pirlo - - Gattuso

That is a quality base for a side, was there better in 06?

Why do England get away with the excuse 'stuffed it up' all the time, nobody outside the English speaking world is ever that surprised. The tactical and technical inferiority present from the style of play a club level sticks out like a sore thumb TBH. It should be more a surprise if they actually over achieve and make the semi's

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Italy showed some luck to not concede a goal in open play for the entire WC :huh: (bar an own goal) I don't think so. They are just no good now. Add Totti to their side and they would be competetive again. Cassano if he wasn't a tool would be a star also.

grosso-matrix-canavaro-zambrotta

Italy were the worst winners of a WC ever: fact. If the US hadn't have had a legitmate goal disallowed in their group game things might have been very different. As it was they beat Australia thanks to a dive, a Ukraine team who'd be flattered by "mediocre" & needed penalties to beat an obviously superior France in the final. Their only praiseworthy result was beating Germany in the semis and that relied on two goals in the last two minutes of extra time.

Italy won't win the world cup. I'm sure of it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
zambrotta-matrix-canavaro--grosso

Zambrotta, Pirlo, Materazzi and Gattuso are not really certainties to be in their XI come the WC.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In terms of winning it, well there's Brazil obviously as the big threat but after that it's just dark horses really. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they do what they did under the vegetable and pathetically let a shower of ****e like Portugal knock them out.

social

Love it!

Eng qualify for a major tourney (which, I might add, is well over twelve months away and no-one has a clue who'll be available or where/whom they'll play) for the first time in the last couple of attempts and CW, Sky and no doubt a whole of others are already piling the pressure on

Odds on to end in disappointment again

Last edited:

grecian

Love it!

Eng qualify for a major tourney (which, I might add, is well over twelve months away and no-one has a clue who'll be available or where/whom they'll play) for the first time in the last couple of attempts and CW, Sky and no doubt a whole of others are already piling the pressure on

Odds on to end in disappointment again
Well, one person on CW:unsure:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think 2010 will be anywhere near as good as 66. Long and Gilmour will leave huge gaps and I just don't know if Eastmond is ready yet. To do the doouble like in 66 is probably too much to ask. At least that waste of space Cayless is gone though.

...oh. I'm sorry. The title misled me. I didn't realise you were talking about unimportant stuff.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, one person on CW:unsure:
Indeed. Although I understand Capello rarely makes a decision without consulting CW first.

I don't think there's anything other than cautious optimism amongst most followers of English football. We've qualified at a canter and have a solid first XI, albeit one with some obvious flaws. How this gets translated into "We gunna win world cupz. Lol" I don't know.

Anyway, oddschecker has us as third favourites, which may be slightly OTT, but probably does recognise the fact we've already qualified where teams like France, Argentina & Portugal haven't yet and might not in any event.

Scaly piscine

Spain's odds are laughable. Can't wait for them to get knocked out.

Brazil should be miles ahead of everyone else, then England, a bit of a gap then numerous European sides.