• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok So.....will 2010 be as glorious a year as 1966 ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There is no doubt that at his peak Khan was better than Seaman, a good deal better imo, which is no disrespect to Seaman at all, Khan was just awesome, have never seen a better keeper. Between 96-98 though, I would say you would be very hard pressed to find a keeper in the world who was better than Seaman or Schmeichel, for me they were the two great international goalkeepers. Though Peruzzi etc.. were not far off. Chilavert though?! Not a chance, more of a great personality than a great keeper, imo anyway.
Think Khan might be mildly overrated there; he was a very fine keeper but in 98 Koepke was Jerry's first choice and (although I'll admit to not being an avid follower of Germanish fusball) I don't remember there being much debate about this. &, let's not forget, latterly the "eccentric" Herr Lehmann was preferred to Khan too.

I think because we saw more of Seaman we saw more of his mistakes perhaps.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seaman is just another guy who suffers from not being hype-worthy. Very unfashionable but he was as effective as any keeper around.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think a lot of that comes from the fact that it was not often that he made "spectacular" saves. But he often made difficult shots look quite easy. In his prime his handling was absolutely superb, he could catch shots that most other keepers could only parry. Also, his closing down of a player who was through one on one with him was exceptional, I remember a few against Man Utd in 99 at old Trafford where he pretty much got Arsenal the draw. One of my alltime favourite players, just a shame that he seems to be a bit of a dickhead in real life.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Le Tissier got a chance from Hoddle against Italy at Wembley in 96, as I recall he was hugely ineffective. Shame as i always wanted to see him in the team as a youngster.
Interesting. So in the few internationals Le Tissier played, you reckon he didn't look international quality or he wasn't given enough chances?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Possibly a bit of both. I don't think he was ever really fit enough for international football but he was at his best around 93-96 and never got loads of chances. Brumby is probably better placed to comment on this issue though, because although I watched more footy then than i do now, as I was only 9-12 I was blinded by great goals and may have overlooked other issues etc

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I remember watching that game, Zola beating Ian Walker at his near post, loved the kit England wore that night.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Possibly a bit of both. I don't think he was ever really fit enough for international football but he was at his best around 93-96 and never got loads of chances. Brumby is probably better placed to comment on this issue though, because although I watched more footy then than i do now, as I was only 9-12 I was blinded by great goals and may have overlooked other issues etc
Then you would have been blinded by Matt.

He scored a poultice of speccies in his time.