• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite players side

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I was to do a non-Tranmere one (which I cbf currently but might later) I'd stick Bergkamp and Overmars in myself, I loved watching Arsenal in 98, immense
Much as I also loved Overmars, I would personally say that Pires was quite a lot better. Overmars had pace, finishing and crossing. But Pires had all this and more, his technique and vision was superb. Between 2001-04 I really think there was no better player in his position in the entire world. Had he not suffered that injury against Newcastle which kept him out for around 6 months I would wager that he would have gone on to become even better. Furthermore, I would argue that if Henry had not been playing in the same side as Pires and Bergkamp, he would not have turned out as good as he had either. Has got my be my favourite player of all time, bar none.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Overmars was awesome because he was two-footed. I play full-back, and those are the worst possible wingers to counter because you can't show them either side. He was the one player in the '98 Arsenal team that always worried me more than any other player.

In comparison to Pires, his fitness record has to count against him, but I think he was a better player. Pires was great as a cog in a fantastic team, but I think he'd have struggled to adapt to a team that played differently and he often looked ineffective playing for France. Overmars could massively improve any side in the world.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Overmars was awesome because he was two-footed. I play full-back, and those are the worst possible wingers to counter because you can't show them either side. He was the one player in the '98 Arsenal team that always worried me more than any other player.

In comparison to Pires, his fitness record has to count against him, but I think he was a better player. Pires was great as a cog in a fantastic team, but I think he'd have struggled to adapt to a team that played differently and he often looked ineffective playing for France. Overmars could massively improve any side in the world.
Hmm, I see where you are coming from with this, but do not entirely agree. At the time of his serious injury, Pires was as important to the Arsenal side as Henry, not just the cog in the machine. For mine it was only after the end of that season that Henry truly stepped up a gear and became world class in his own right.

I mean, Arsene Wenger himself has gone on record and said how throughout that period, the first name on his team sheet every week was Pires, that says a lot about his value and importance to the side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Didn't watch them week in week out so, staying out of it. As a neutral spectator though I'd rather watch Overmars every single time.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
pattato FC -

GK - Tim Howard
RB - Jamie Carragher
RCB - Brede Hangeland
LCB - Lúcio
LB - Daniel Agger
CDM - Javier Mascherano
RM - David Bentley
LM - Dario Vidosic
CAM - Steven Gerrard
ST - Fernando Torres
ST - Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Reserves -
Pepe Reina
Craig Bellamy
Maxi Rodriguez
Mark Bresciano
Aaron Lennon
Tim Cahill
Harry Kewell

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
GK - Pepe Reina
RB - Luke Wilkshere
RCB - Giorgio Chiellini
LCB - Lúcio
LB - Fabio Aurelio
RM - David Bentley
CM - Dario Vidosic
CM - Diego
LM - Jack Cork
CF - Zlatan Ibrahimovic
ST - Fernando Torres

lol midfield

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Achterberg

Taylor
Hill
Goodison
Roberts

Morrisey
Irons
Rankine
Nevin

Aldridge
Greenacre

SUBS:
Nixon
Stevens
Higgins
Koumas
Welsh
Malkin
Muir

Wonder how different that is to my last selection...

After checking, it would appear it's pretty much the same bar two changes. Ian Goodison earns a promotion after being a rock for six years and then some, but most importantly for his goal and celebration on one of my favourite football days ever in May. Irons' contributions to our Masters triumphs has brought back the memories of how good he was while Koumas's wasting away his talent gets me down a little.

Again this is my faves for the whites rather than what I consider to be an ATXI, otherwise John Welsh would be nowhere near the bench...one of those players I just love tbh.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
GK - Pepe Reina
RB - Luke Wilkshere
RCB - Jamie Carragher
LCB - Lúcio
LB - Fabio Aurelio
RM - David Bentley
CM - Jack Cork
CM - Raul Meireles
LM - Dario Vidosic
CF - Diego
ST - Mathew Leckie

Ahhhhhhhhh so difficult. :(

Favourite players overall something like Vidosic, Cork, Bentley, Meireles, Leckie.

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
Past 10 or so years

GK-Czech
LB-Ashley Cole (as much as it pains me to say it...)
CB-Ferdinand
CB-Terry
RB-Cafu
DM-Claude Makele
DM-Xabi Alonso
LAM-Zidane
CAM-Gerrard
RAM-Figo
S-Messi

On more attacking days I'd play a 442, take makele off and put rooney in to go with Messi. Also, my defence seems to neglect non-English players unfortunately.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Achterberg

Stevens
Goodison
Higgins
Roberts

Morrisey
Koumas
Irons
Nevin

Greenacre
Aldridge

Was probably the same last time tbh

ripper868

International Coach
15: Matt Burke
14: Philip Bernat-Salles
13: Jason Little
12: Tim Horan
11: Jonah Lomu
10: Stephen Larkham
9: Nick Farr-Jones
8: Zinzan Brooke
7: David Pocock
6: Willie Ofahengaue
5: John Eales © GK
4: Martin Johnson
3: Topo Rodriguez
2: Keith Wood
1: Patricio Noriega

Bench:
Phil Kearns
Ewen Mckenzie
David Giffin
Taine Randall
Joost van der Westhuizen
Brian Lima
Emile Ntamack

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
15: Matt Burke
14: Philip Bernat-Salles
13: Jason Little
12: Tim Horan
11: Jonah Lomu
10: Stephen Larkham
9: Nick Farr-Jones
8: Zinzan Brooke
7: David Pocock
6: Willie Ofahengaue
5: John Eales © GK
4: Martin Johnson
3: Topo Rodriguez
2: Keith Wood
1: Patricio Noriega

Bench:
Phil Kearns
Ewen Mckenzie
David Giffin
Taine Randall
Joost van der Westhuizen
Brian Lima
Emile Ntamack
Doesn't compute, only 11 in a side, and I've never heard of those people:blink:

anyway

All-time

Miller

Hiley
M. Taylor
S. Taylor
Dryden

Mcdermott
Harley
Gill
Whitehead

Kellow
Neville

Subs

van Heusden
Rowbotham
Mcnichol
Hatch
King
Robson

Probably very different from last time I did this, in another thread I think.

Current

I don't really like keepers, umm

Ben Foster

Alves
Matt Taylor
Alex
K. Gibbs

Wilshire
Harley
Mark Noble
Iniesta

wingers are so last millennia.