• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Athletics Champs

shivfan

Banned
It starts tomorrow....

Any athletics fans on this forum?

Who will take home more medals out of Britain and Jamaica?
:cool:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jamaica I would expect.

Used to love athletics, it was a sport I participated on from the age of 10 til about 17/18. Used to watch every meet and championship back then, used to stay up through the night for championships that were outside of Europe. Can't get excited these days due to GB being incredibly mediocre no doubt and also the decline the sport seems to have suffered worldwide probably due to drugs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I started as a distance runner, and used to do a lot of cross country. Trained on the track though and was a bit of a bits and pieces athletes in meetings. I had zero natural talent, just a lot of stamina and I trained really hard, which meant I was able to turn my hand at anything and was really useful for my club in these meetings. As a junior I generally used to do two out of the 400/800/1500 as well as both of the relays. Did the Shot once when we needed to just pick a point to help us stay up. Fouled my first two goes, threw about three metres in the third, passed my remaining three goes to get ready for the 800.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I started as a distance runner, and used to do a lot of cross country. Trained on the track though and was a bit of a bits and pieces athletes in meetings. I had zero natural talent, just a lot of stamina and I trained really hard, which meant I was able to turn my hand at anything and was really useful for my club in these meetings. As a junior I generally used to do two out of the 400/800/1500 as well as both of the relays. Did the Shot once when we needed to just pick a point to help us stay up. Fouled my first two goes, threw about three metres in the third, passed my remaining three goes to get ready for the 800.
Wag, you and I should do the 800 round Liverpool City Centre imo, see who wins.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
at my 18th, my mate challenged me to a 100m race down my street (party was at my mum's house). I won, but FMD I felt so vile after it, sprinting drunk is not too clever. Also I remember my gf at the time being in a mood with me for doing the race for some reason, god she was weird, why did I stick with her for nearly two more years? :laugh:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
at my 18th, my mate challenged me to a 100m race down my street (party was at my mum's house). I won, but FMD I felt so vile after it, sprinting drunk is not too clever. Also I remember my gf at the time being in a mood with me for doing the race for some reason, god she was weird, why did I stick with her for nearly two more years? :laugh:
As long as she got hit by a tractor at the end of it, the moral of the story is "who gives a ****?"

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bolt vs Gay is going to be greatest 100m final of all time, presuming none of them get injured before the big clash.

shivfan

Banned
Bolt vs Gay is going to be greatest 100m final of all time, presuming none of them get injured before the big clash.
That's if Gay makes it to the final....

he looked less than impressive in the heats. However, Bolt looked awesome!
The Williams girls also looked good in the women's 400 heats....

As for the drugs issue, since the Balco controversy a few years ago, a lot of the drugs cheats have been swept out of the sport - Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery, etc. Now, the sprinters are all on the right side of 30. Look at Bolt, for example - no unusual muscle build-up.

I think athletics is much more rigorous about drug use than cricket right now....

shivfan

Banned
Bolt to run the semi-final backwards, imo.
:laugh:
He looked really good in the quarter-finals, didn't he? But the Antiguan Daniel Bailey found the pace to his liking as well....

Asafa Powell ran really well in his quarterfinal, clocking the fastest time so far - 9.95.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
A 100m race would have to be immense to top the 91 final IMO
Ye i've seen clips of that final. Our boy Christie deserved a medal then.

It depends who are the sprinters behind Bolt, Gay & Powell though. I haven't watched anything yet, but if the majority of cats that ran in the 08 Olympic final are in this competition (plus Atkins from Bahamas). It could very and topple that final TBH.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A bloke was out on the piss, and challenged Cathy Freeman to a 100m race outside the pub, and if he won she'd have to go on a date with him.

He beat her, and now they're married.

shivfan

Banned
A 100m race would have to be immense to top the 91 final IMO
IMHO, the Olympic final last year when Bolt obliterated the opposition topped that final by a country mile....
With Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell rounding into form, and Bailey looking very good, this one promises to be a cracker!