• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* A-League Season 2009

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Not going to read too much in beating the wooden spoon favourites. Though we did look good going forward. Danning looks so good, could be anything this kid.
You wouldn't want to, they absolutely played you off the park from when you scored your second until you got that brain explosion from their keeper. Made you look horrible at stages.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Jesus, 2 all at half time between the Jets and the Phoenix.
Greenacre slotted one for the 'Nix
C'mon Wellington :thumbup1:

If you search 'wellington phoenix' on google, it comes up with "Flights from Wellington, New Zealand to Phoenix, AZ" first :laugh:

Redbacks

International Captain
Can't stand the commentary in the A-leauge, they overhype so many situations in the games and refuse to show the replays that could clear it all up. Simon Hill is a ****

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Hill a ****ing good writer and commentates well enough IMO. He's better than the rest of the ****e they have of Fox Sports. ****ing Robbie Slater and Bosnich can go **** themselves, the amount of **** they heaped on us in the Premier League coverage last season was bordering on ridiculous.

Slater ****ing ****s me, only talks about 4 things, ever:
1. The time he played for Blackburn and won the Prem.
2. Liverpool being great.
3. How wrong Craig Foster is about everything.
4. The time he played for Blackburn and won the Prem.

He only played 18 games ffs.

FTR Corrin, Greenacre's goal was soft as balls. Had a free shot, got it a little tangled at his feet but got a shot away low to the keepers left. The keeper got to it easily, got the ball but then let it trickle into the net. Has been pretty anonymous otherwise, but looks a bit ginger still.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hill is quite good imo, has a good balance between passion for the game and being too personal about the teams playing.
Slater, agree is a douche, if he isnt talking about how good he was he's talking about how French football is the strongest in Europe.

Redbacks

International Captain
Hill is a ****. You probably don't attention to his constant jibes at the size of Adelaide crowds every game. During our Asian CL campiagn when we played in Thialand against a crap team already out of the comp, when nobody turned up he mentioned that Adelaide should be used to this and called whoever the **** we were playings fans the Adelaide United of Thialand.

19,000 to the GC/Roar, premiers get 18,000 to their first game at home and its all great. Bull**** those are s*** crowd numbers given the population sizes. He's the same toss that constantly talked about how great Sydney FC are but doesn't have enough knowledge of the game, it would appear, to offer any reasons as to why the Roar get the ball into the box so often, have periods where they win very few games, yet they are always unlucky, not predictable by always hitting balls in from wide areas, no, just unlucky.

Not a big fan of Slater either but at least he played the game at the top level around the world.

Redbacks

International Captain
French football is the strongest in Europe.
I'd say their development structure is arguably the strongest (even if it relies on pinching players from Africa). It's such a solid league because the players have the technical ability drilled into them from a young age and given the slower pace of the games they also get a larger focus on tactical development. I'd say Serie A is definitely better, money obviously helps, but Italy are now struggling to poach the best players to put the cream on top of their great sides.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say their development structure is arguably the strongest (even if it relies on pinching players from Africa). It's such a solid league because the players have the technical ability drilled into them from a young age and given the slower pace of the games they also get a larger focus on tactical development. I'd say Serie A is definitely better, money obviously helps, but Italy are now struggling to poach the best players to put the cream on top of their great sides.
Ah but **** me if he hasn't tipped Lyon to be "the darkhorse" or the actual winners of the champions league every year in the past decade.

Redbacks

International Captain
A spread sheet analysis of crowds over the first 4 season of the A-league. Bit Harsh on Sydney in the per capita one as I'm not sure whether the population number would overlap with the CCM plus the Stadium is a pain in the **** to get to from all reports.

Attachments

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I either record games and fast forward during the pre-game, half-time chatter or change the channel if I'm watching the game live, because of that, the commentators are dire.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good to see Greenacre on the scoresheet, once he got that first goal for us we never looked back

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good win for Sydney but we seriously should not of let them get that close to us.

3-2 thanks to a late penalty really isn't acceptable after the way we ran circles around them in the first half. Their defence was terrible and their midfield couldn't keep the ball. Fowler was pushing back which left them empty up top. Aloisi's goal was great and he worked hard off the ball. Danning and Gan off down the flanks were awesome. I thought a 2-0 lead would of been a fair score but them scoring that goal late in the half was not good. We were unlucky to be going in only 1 in front I think.

But the second innings. Wow. The North Queensland were going great. We couldn't get decent service down the middle around the box until later in the half when Brosque almost sent Aloisi through a few times. That penalty was such a relief though. We defended well but hey controlled the second half. Danning kept up his good game down the flank though.

We deserved to win but we should of done it 3-1 or something a little easier.

Craig

World Traveller
Like my avatar Corrin? It stays until the end of the 5th Ashes Test before my avatar bet with Upper**** takes place.

Redbacks

International Captain
This Danning kid for Sydney looks pretty good, I guess an overseas team will look to sign him up at the end of the season.