Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most farcical sporting event

Most farcical sporting event

I watch, and enjoy, the Tour de France and athletics at the Olympics despite suspecting that many athletes are still on the juice.

However, the latest edition of the World Swimming Champs have taken things to an entirely new level

Here we have a "sporting" event where records are being smashed by "average" athletes simply because of a technology that the governing body already admits is illegal but is afraid to ban because of commercial interests - the guy that beat Phelps admits that the suit shaved 2-3 seconds off his time and that he went from "average' (21st at last year's Olympics) to world's best as soon as he put it on and Phelps refused to do so

This is nothing more than a complete joke that not only disrespects great competitors of the past but also puts in grave peril good work of the previous 10-15 years where swimming has gone from a drug-fuelled freak show to a wholesome pursuit for youngsters

It's a complete joke and I only wish that Phelps had the balls to withdraw before the games than threaten to do so after realising the difference the suits made when he was beaten
    Last edited by social; 01-08-2009 at 08:27 AM.

The most amusing thing is that they are banning the suits from competition come January 1, yet they are still going to count the world records set by swimmers using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    The most amusing thing is that they are banning the suits from competition come January 1, yet they are still going to count the world records set by swimmers using them.
    As I said, it's a farce and has only been allowed because the 2 suit manufacturers are the major sponsors of the event

Thought the situation in Rugby Union with the ELV's was a joke to be honest.

Having the tri nation teams play tests with 1 set of rules & everybody else playing to a different set was farcical. Especially having the tri nation teams play to the old rules 1 week against the northern hemisphere teams then playing the ELV's the next week, as if union isn't difficult to understand as it is for new followers.

Surely the ELV's should have been trialed in domestic games then if the IRB wanted to change they should have enforced everyone to follow.

Breakout Champion!
    Wtf's an ELV?

"There's only one team in Tallinn"
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Banned
    Pathetic indeed. I think they all should swim naked.
    Last edited by Pigeon; 01-08-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    I think they're going to reset the records and leave those as separate ones (did it once before when they changed from 25 to 50m pools)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    They'd have to otherwise these records will probably stand forever and in 30 years these average swimmers will hold most of the records and be regarded as greats of the "sport"

How on earth can swimming not be regarded as a sport?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Think swimmers are being a bit weird about it, myself. I'm struggling to see other sports banning technological improvements (banned drugs not included because they tend to have harmful side effects) because they "change the sport" - football seems to have survived studded boots, for example.

Admittedly, it does make it harder for athletes from poorer countries to compete, which is about the only reason I can make against it.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    They'd have to otherwise these records will probably stand forever and in 30 years these average swimmers will hold most of the records and be regarded as greats of the "sport"
    Yeah, that's be the best course of action. We'll have to see whether they actually get that done though. Apparently there are only 2 records standing that were made prior to this meet, although I'd have to check up on that. In an article recently, Libby Trickett mentioned how she keeps separate PBs, one for with the suit, one for without, so the swimmers are already keeping separate times.

The whole situation is quite ridiculous, really.

Doesn't ensure that the best swimmer wins the race.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Until of course the 100m Butterfly today.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Think swimmers are being a bit weird about it, myself. I'm struggling to see other sports banning technological improvements (banned drugs not included because they tend to have harmful side effects) because they "change the sport" - football seems to have survived studded boots, for example.

Admittedly, it does make it harder for athletes from poorer countries to compete, which is about the only reason I can make against it.
    Not just about a suit, its become who has the best technology. Trickett for one has a deal with Speedo but she said she knew she couldn't win wearing her suit from her sponsor so in one or maybe some of the races she wore the better one. So really it's not about who is the fastest all the time its about who has the best suit.
    What happens when companies who have the best suits decide to only supply to certain athletes or countries? Would become even more of a farce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information