• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most farcical sporting event

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I watch, and enjoy, the Tour de France and athletics at the Olympics despite suspecting that many athletes are still on the juice.

However, the latest edition of the World Swimming Champs have taken things to an entirely new level

Here we have a "sporting" event where records are being smashed by "average" athletes simply because of a technology that the governing body already admits is illegal but is afraid to ban because of commercial interests - the guy that beat Phelps admits that the suit shaved 2-3 seconds off his time and that he went from "average' (21st at last year's Olympics) to world's best as soon as he put it on and Phelps refused to do so

This is nothing more than a complete joke that not only disrespects great competitors of the past but also puts in grave peril good work of the previous 10-15 years where swimming has gone from a drug-fuelled freak show to a wholesome pursuit for youngsters

It's a complete joke and I only wish that Phelps had the balls to withdraw before the games than threaten to do so after realising the difference the suits made when he was beaten

Last edited:

Johnners

The most amusing thing is that they are banning the suits from competition come January 1, yet they are still going to count the world records set by swimmers using them.

social

The most amusing thing is that they are banning the suits from competition come January 1, yet they are still going to count the world records set by swimmers using them.
As I said, it's a farce and has only been allowed because the 2 suit manufacturers are the major sponsors of the event

chalky

International Debutant
Thought the situation in Rugby Union with the ELV's was a joke to be honest.

Having the tri nation teams play tests with 1 set of rules & everybody else playing to a different set was farcical. Especially having the tri nation teams play to the old rules 1 week against the northern hemisphere teams then playing the ELV's the next week, as if union isn't difficult to understand as it is for new followers.

Surely the ELV's should have been trialed in domestic games then if the IRB wanted to change they should have enforced everyone to follow.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think they're going to reset the records and leave those as separate ones (did it once before when they changed from 25 to 50m pools)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They'd have to otherwise these records will probably stand forever and in 30 years these average swimmers will hold most of the records and be regarded as greats of the "sport"

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Think swimmers are being a bit weird about it, myself. I'm struggling to see other sports banning technological improvements (banned drugs not included because they tend to have harmful side effects) because they "change the sport" - football seems to have survived studded boots, for example.

Admittedly, it does make it harder for athletes from poorer countries to compete, which is about the only reason I can make against it.

Dydl

International Debutant
They'd have to otherwise these records will probably stand forever and in 30 years these average swimmers will hold most of the records and be regarded as greats of the "sport"
Yeah, that's be the best course of action. We'll have to see whether they actually get that done though. Apparently there are only 2 records standing that were made prior to this meet, although I'd have to check up on that. In an article recently, Libby Trickett mentioned how she keeps separate PBs, one for with the suit, one for without, so the swimmers are already keeping separate times.

The whole situation is quite ridiculous, really.

Doesn't ensure that the best swimmer wins the race.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think swimmers are being a bit weird about it, myself. I'm struggling to see other sports banning technological improvements (banned drugs not included because they tend to have harmful side effects) because they "change the sport" - football seems to have survived studded boots, for example.

Admittedly, it does make it harder for athletes from poorer countries to compete, which is about the only reason I can make against it.
Not just about a suit, its become who has the best technology. Trickett for one has a deal with Speedo but she said she knew she couldn't win wearing her suit from her sponsor so in one or maybe some of the races she wore the better one. So really it's not about who is the fastest all the time its about who has the best suit.
What happens when companies who have the best suits decide to only supply to certain athletes or countries? Would become even more of a farce.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Inclined to agree with Sam here. No-one suggested all the batting records be changed because players now wear helmets and protection for pretty much the entire body. Back in the day if you tired to hook or pull a bowler of (say) Flintoff's pace you were literally taking your life in your hands. & As for swimmers having to use inferior kit becuase of their sponsors: HTFU, do want to win or do you want the money?

There's no "protection of athletes" argument here as there is with drugs; I can't imagine any long-term health issues from prolonged usage of swimming costumes.

Anyway, in answer to the question posed by the thread: any event reliant on the great British weather. :@