• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should games like poker and chess be counted as sports?

should games like poker and chess be counted as sports

• Total voters

cover drive man

International Captain
Its an interesting one, certainly they require little or no physical activity but they are just as challenging and they require just as much practise.

luffy

International Captain
In my books, any game in which you keep score and can be played internationally rates as a sport. Just my personal opinion.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah. Any activity where a computer can beat the finest human players is purely mental and, devoid of the physical aspect, it doesn't qualify as a sport.

Pool, however, clearly does involved physical skill so would have no problems counting that as a sport.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So do people consider curling a sport?
Yeah. Physical activity with an agreed and not entirely subjective scoring system. Works for me.

Tedious to watch, but can see no reason to exclude it as a sport just because it's not my cup of char.

andmark

International Captain
As far as I'm concerned, a sport is a game which needs a great amount of skill to become a professional. Both Chess and Poker offer the opportunity to become professional, with the great skill.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As far as I'm concerned, a sport is a game which needs a great amount of skill to become a professional. Both Chess and Poker offer the opportunity to become professional, with the great skill.
Your contention doesn't hold water, sorry. Games like Gaelic football, hurling and field hockey are amatuer at the highest level, as was rugby union until 1995. Are we then to say these games aren't sports because the players can't become professional?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm undecided.

I guess I agree with everything Brumby's posted in here, but I've always felt that the whole "nah it's not a sport" thing just demeans the accomplishments of those who excel at it. I don't really think it's a sport but I think the champions of chess deserve as much respect as our tennis, cricket and swimming stars.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, they do, but that still doesn't make it sport. I mean, Axl Rose is probably the only person whose work I love as much as John Aldridge's or Andrew Flintoff's, but it doesn't mean I am disrespecting him when i say he isn't a sportsman, as he's a singer. And chess players aren't sportsmen, but, well, they are chess players.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, they do, but that still doesn't make it sport. I mean, Axl Rose is probably the only person whose work I love as much as John Aldridge's or Andrew Flintoff's, but it doesn't mean I am disrespecting him when i say he isn't a sportsman, as he's a singer. And chess players aren't sportsmen, but, well, they are chess players.
Yeah, I agree I guess. I just find that the "chess isn't a sport" argument often tends to come from people who are trying to talk it down rather than people who just don't think it qualifies under sport's definition.

Person A: Wow, he's one of the best chess players in the world!
Person B: lolz who cares chess isnt even a sprt hahahahaha

Deep down, I agree with you and Brumby.

Matt79

Global Moderator
So scrabble, Worlds of Warcraft, playing a musical instrument, and baking are all sports?

No way are either poker or chess sports. They are games. That doesn't denigrate the skill of the people who play them, but that skill and effort no more makes them a sport than it makes them art.