• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should games like poker and chess be counted as sports?

should games like poker and chess be counted as sports

• Total voters

cricketboy29

International Regular
So scrabble, Worlds of Warcraft, playing a musical instrument, and baking are all sports?

No way are either poker or chess sports. They are games. That doesn't denigrate the skill of the people who play them, but that skill and effort no more makes them a sport than it makes them art.
You can be a professional WOW player?

David

International 12th Man
Read it as 'Should games like poker and chess be combat sports?' Not my day today.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I'm very much of the opinion that a "game" needs to require the aplication of physical skills in order to be classed as a sport.

Therefore chess and poker (games that I love to play and consider to be very mentally challenging) are not sports. They fail the Stephen Hawking test (ie. Any game that Stephen Hawking could potentially be really good at, are not sports)

:)

andmark

International Captain
Your contention doesn't hold water, sorry. Games like Gaelic football, hurling and field hockey are amatuer at the highest level, as was rugby union until 1995. Are we then to say these games aren't sports because the players can't become professional?
So scrabble, Worlds of Warcraft, playing a musical instrument, and baking are all sports?

No way are either poker or chess sports. They are games. That doesn't denigrate the skill of the people who play them, but that skill and effort no more makes them a sport than it makes them art.
Fair enough.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Unless the Poker section of the Olympics was a couple of years long, the winner would just be whoever got luckiest.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I watched the Poker Ashes on TV the other day, Warney was lording it over Darren Gough and Rob Key.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Do they pass the Stephen Hawking test??

Although I rate Poker as a more worthy sport than say, cycling, where everyone is jacked up to the nines, vegging it up to the eyeballs on all kinds of crap, or sailing, where 0.1% of the population can afford to participate

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do they pass the Stephen Hawking test??

Although I rate Poker as a more worthy sport than say, cycling, where everyone is jacked up to the nines, vegging it up to the eyeballs on all kinds of crap, or sailing, where 0.1% of the population can afford to participate
It is the activity that defines whether something is a sport, not the participants...

andmark

International Captain
To answer this question perfectly, you need to fully understand the definition of the sport. Until there is a definite and correct definition which is completely agreeable, then only then this question can be answered.

ripper868

International Coach
Just had a random thought, should golf be considered a sport? In a similar vein to pool/snooker it may not pass the "can it be played while in a pub/pissed" test. Also similar to pool it is about putting a ball in the hole with a stick. For me on a number of occasions, the Golf course has simply resembled a large beer garden extending from the club house, with many an alchoholic beverage consumed during the round. Is golf therefore a game and not a sport?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Haha nice. Showed the arbitrary nature of claiming pool isn't a spot because you can play it in a pub.