• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, driving up that weekend.

Seeing Big Nog and Wanderlei in the flesh and in such big fights is the stuff of dreams. Velasquez-Noguiera, Bisping-Silva, Sotiropolous-Stevenson, Mirko-Rothwell, Bader-Jardine, with guys liek Bonner, Lytle and Soszynski on the undercard is incredible for any PPV let alone one in Australia.

Also have the return of a guy caled Goran Reljic who is a top talent who destroyed a good fighter in Wilson Gouivea but has been out a long time through injuries is a big thing too. Going to lap up every minute of it. Counting down the days tbh.

EDIT: Although UFC 111 with Carwin-Mir and GSP-Hardy as well as Alves Fitch and UFC 112 with Anderson Silva-Vitor Belfort and Penn-Edgar is looking ridiculous as well. Two cards with two title fights each is crazy. All the recent injuries is going to make for some incredible cards after 109.

Not forgetting 113 with the Shogun-Lyoto rematch and Rampage-Rashad grudge match on it. Wow.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
There are some awesome cards coming up, just looking forward to getting this next one out of the way, and then we can move onto the genuinely frickin sweet cards. I'm not feeling as negative about the 109 card as some, as I think Couture will come out and try and stand with Coleman, as I reckon their wrestling will cancel eachother out. Backing Randy to pull out a 2nd Round TKO. Looking forward to all the main card fights, especially Marquardt vs Sonnen.

Another card that's really looking like being worth watching is the Ultimate Fight Night 21 card (or UFC on Versus: Vera vs Jones) as it's being called. Some seriously good fights being talked about for that card, looking like the best UFN ever. If all the fights rumoured are on the card, then it'll look like:

Brandon Vera vs Jon Jones
Junior Dos Santos vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Anthony Johnson vs John Howard
Clay Guida vs Sean Sherk
Roy Nelson vs Stefan Struve

Eliot Marshall vs Vladamir Matyushenko
Brendan Schaub vs Chase Gormley
James Irvin vs Alessio Sakara
Spencer Fisher vs Duane Ludwig

Man that's a sweet card. Brandon Vera, Jon Jones, JDS, Gonzaga, Rumble, Guida, Sherk, Nelson, Struve, Matyshenko, Schaub, Irvin, Fisher and Ludwig all on 1 UFN card, awesome. Cannot wait for that Main Event, potential Fight of the Year candidate I reckon. Hopefully none of the upcoming cards will be as badly effected by injuries as 107, 108 and 109. We're set for some sick fights if everything goes to plan!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Why do you see it being such a bad match-up for him? I'm not sure it's that bad a match-up for him really. He should be able to outstrike Nelson on the feet if he uses his reach, and doesn't do anything stupid (like the attempted flying knee against Buentello), and he's no mug on the ground. I could see Nelson finishing it in his favourite Crucifix position if he does get Struve to the ground, but you never know, he has finished quite alot of fights by submission. Struve could pull this one out if he implements a good gameplan, but I am backing Big Country.

Majin

International Debutant
man was just hitting up some Undisputed with my friend, our last game was Rampage (me) vs Rashad, ended with a Page Uppercut knocked Rashad spark out in the second, he was on the floor spasming like a freak it was beautiful. the slow motion closeup replay you get on some knockouts was the best one I have ever seen, Rashads face just being slammed up into the air and his eyes going white cracked me up so hard I loved it. Know that is how the real fight is going to turn out Rashad is getting killed.

also had a funny one where I was Nate Diaz and he was Hermes Franca and I did nothing but throw crappy left jabs methodically and he walked into them for about a minute, then he threw two elbows and knocked Diaz out.

had a couple of proper wars though, Serra/Kampmann was a good one and we had a proper dustup with Thiago Alves vs BJ Penn. Submitting Penn with a triangle choke as Alves one of my favourite things I've done in the game so far. Love the game so much, can't wait for 2010 gonna be massive.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Love abit of UFC Undisputed, really looking forward to both 2010 and EA Sports MMA. I've mainly been playing WMMA 2 recently though. Basically like the Wrestling simulator Total Extreme Wrestling, but based on MMA. It's not the sort of game I thought I'd find that fun, after getting bored of TEW quite quickly, but I can't get enough of WMMA2.

I've got a really good UFC save going. Had some epic PPV's and fights in the 3 years I've been in charge. Managed to sign some seriously good talent; Shinya Aoki, Gegard Mousasi, Roger Gracie, Alistair Overeem, Jacare Souza, Jason Miller, Jose Aldo, Miguel Torres, Joachim Hansen, Phil Davis, Brian Bowles, Wagnney Fabiano, Takanori Gomi, Xande Ribeiro, Robbie Lawler, Ben Askren, Cung Le, Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thompson, Masakazu Imanari, Muhammed 'King Mo' Lawal, Paulo Filho, Ralek Gracie, Renato Sobral, Ricardo Arona and then a few smaller names. I've not been able to sign Fedor yet though, he joined the recently returned PRIDE FC, along with Barnett, and a few others. He'll definitely be signed once his PRIDE contract ends though (which should be in about 3 months). I've also got Eddie Alvarez, Nick Diaz, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Urijah Faber on my shortlist. Will have the most talent filled MMA Roster in history if I get those 5 guys signed.

My current champions are pretty interesting. In the Lightweight division Shinya Aoki is the Champion, he's 4-0 in the UFC with wins over Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, Miguel Torres and Diego Sanchez. After BJ lost his LW title he went back up to 170 to take on GSP for the 3rd time, losing via 4th round TKO. Since then he's been back at 155 and has wins over Kenny Florian and Takanori Gomi. The next challenge for Aoki will be Penn, but after that he should be facing Jose Aldo. He's won his first 2 UFC bouts with wins over Florian and Edgar and if he gets past Miguel Torres at UFC 133 then he'll be next in line.

GSP is ruling the Welterweight Division, as expected. He's 7-0 since I took over the UFC, with wins over Fitch, Koscheck, Johnson, Swick, Penn, Fitch and Parisyan. Mike Swick has been the surprise package in the division though. He's had a shot at GSP already, and was beaten in the 1st round, but he's put together a really good record. He has wins over Dan Hardy, Thiago Alves, Karo Parisyan, James Wilks (who's a top 10 and 5-3 in the UFC) and Carlos Condit (#5 ranked WW). He'll get his 2nd go at GSP for GSP's next title defence.

There's been dominance from 1 man in the MW division as well, with Anderson Silva running through the competition. His overall UFC record now sits at 15-0 in 2012, and since I took over he's had wins against Vitor Belfort (2), Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami and Michael Bisping. His next defence comes against UFC newcomer and highly ranked (after going 3-0 in PRIDE) Jason Miller. Should Silva get past Mayhem he'll take on #2 ranked 185'er Demian Maia, who's on a 3 fight win streak with wins over Cote, Henderson and Filho.

The 205lb division has been dominated by 1 fighter as well, but not the one you'd expect. It's not been dominated by Lyoto Machida, but by Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua instead. Shogun beat Machida at UFC 104 in my game, defeating him via 5th Round KO. Machida had dominated the fight and had all 4 rounds in the bag on the judges scorecards, but early in the 5th he attempted a first takedown of the fight. Shogun blocked it, managed to lock on the Muay Thai Clinch and knock Lyoto out with a big knee. Since then he's been truely dominant, recording wins over Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson, Forrest Griffin, Phil Davis, Gegard Mousasi and Rashad Evans. His next fight will more than likely come against #2 ranked LHW, Quinton Jackson. Should be a good fight, Rampage has been very impressive since the loss to Shogun, with wins over Machida, Jon Jones and Griffin.

The Heavyweight title has been passed around more than any other. Lesnar managed 1 defence before dropping the title to Randy Couture (which happened to be Couture's final fight before retirement, meaning he retired as HW champion). This meant there was no champion in place, which set up a 4 man Heavyweight Grand Prix featuring Brock Lesnar, Junior Dos Santos, Frank Mir and Gabriel Gonzaga. Lesnar met Mir in the final after beating Dos Santos, to win the title back. He managed 1 successful defence again, this time against Roger Gracie, before dropping the title in a surprise loss to Alistair Overeem. Overeem's reign didn't last long, he lost his first defence at UFC 128 to Junior Dos Santos, making Dos Santos the #1 ranked HW in the UFC and the #2 in the world. His first defence will come against Roger Gracie at UFC 134: Ultimate 2012.

It's so fun just playing around with PPV's, trying to find events which the crowds will dig, that will bring in punters and cash and get PPV buys. The UFC 134 card is looking like one of the best I've put on, on paper anyway. The card looks like:

Main Card:
Shinya Aoki vs BJ Penn for the Lightweight Championship
Junior Dos Santos vs Roger Gracie for the Heavyweight Championship
Vitor Belfort vs Wanderlei Silva
Gegard Mousasi vs Alexandre Ribeiro
Paul Daley vs Paulo Thiago
Anthony Pettis vs Masakazu Imanari

Prelim Card
Alistair Overeem vs Cheick Kongo
Gleison Tibau vs Josh Thompson
Chris Lytle vs Danilo Villefort
Josh Burkman vs Nick Osipczak

Woah, that was a long post. :D Definitely recommend WMMA 2 if you've got some spare time and want a different MMA game to the usual. Annoyingly, if you want to use the real life databases you need to buy the full game, but trust me, it's so worth the cash. Had the game for about 8 months now I think, and I love it, great way to pass the time if you're a bit bored.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Love abit of UFC Undisputed, really looking forward to both 2010 and EA Sports MMA. I've mainly been playing WMMA 2 recently though. Basically like the Wrestling simulator Total Extreme Wrestling, but based on MMA. It's not the sort of game I thought I'd find that fun, after getting bored of TEW quite quickly, but I can't get enough of WMMA2.
Awesome awesome awesome game. Find myself playing the C-Verse data more than anything, too.

Majin

International Debutant
The 205lb division has been dominated by 1 fighter as well, but not the one you'd expect. It's not been dominated by Lyoto Machida, but by Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua instead.
No, that's exactly who I expected

but yeah that sounds awesome, will have to see if I can obtain a copy of it.

King Pietersen

International Captain
No, that's exactly who I expected

but yeah that sounds awesome, will have to see if I can obtain a copy of it.
Haha, fair enough. I was sort of expecting Shogun to hold the title at some point, but I'll be honest, I didn't expect him to be as dominant as he has been. Especially 4 rounds into the Machida title fight. Machida was picking him apart for all 4 rounds, and then Shogun somehow pulled out the win with a KO. Since that fight he's been nothing but awesome. Mousasi was easily his biggest challenge, he'd won his first 4 UFC fights, beating the likes of Rampage comprehensively, but even he got dominated by Shogun. He's been ridiculously good.

Yeah, definitely try and get a copy, great game. There are some really nice Databases to download on the Grey Dog Software forums. Tap or Snap is my personal favourite.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The Dawn of MMA mod is pretty cool, too. Unfortunately the way contracts work in it make it difficult to run the whole tournament format, but it is still awesome to do.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not seen that one. What year does that Database start? Be interested to give that a download, is it on the Grey Dog forums? Do agree that tournament formats are hard to implement because of the contracts as well. I've put together a few Ultimate Fighter tournaments in past databases by using the 8 Man Tournament format, just signed a load of guys outside the UFC on 4 fight contracts and had them battle it out. They usually get really good ratings. I remember having a HW tournament featuring Overeem, Gracie, Kimbo, Big Baby, Lashley, Nelson, Ribeiro and Sims. Got an awesome rating, and was surprisingly won by Kimbo Slice as he beat Lashley, Overeem and Gracie.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Not seen that one. What year does that Database start? Be interested to give that a download, is it on the Grey Dog forums? Do agree that tournament formats are hard to implement because of the contracts as well. I've put together a few Ultimate Fighter tournaments in past databases by using the 8 Man Tournament format, just signed a load of guys outside the UFC on 4 fight contracts and had them battle it out. They usually get really good ratings. I remember having a HW tournament featuring Overeem, Gracie, Kimbo, Big Baby, Lashley, Nelson, Ribeiro and Sims. Got an awesome rating, and was surprisingly won by Kimbo Slice as he beat Lashley, Overeem and Gracie.
Starts October 1993.

Just talking of this made me start a new game. :p As in real life, Gracie beat Gordeau to take the first tournament after subbing Jimmerson and Shamrock.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Enjoying WMMA.

What is Australian MMA like? Been watching footage of Lucas Browne and he looks pretty ordinary. How does he stack up in terms of profile and talent to other Aussie fighters?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scene is still very underground and seen as a backwater knucklehead type of thing but most people although there are events held in every state and every once in a while you'll get a graveyard timeslot on cable sports somewhere.

As for the standard, it varies a fair bit. The standout local fighter is James Te-Huna(although he's a Kiwi) and he's just been signed up to the UFC and faces a pretty testing fight against Pokrajac. How he handles the UFC will tell you a lot about the current crop, as he's comfortably the best since Sotiropolous to leave. Other guys like Kyle Noke(has a win over Sotiropolous and in talks to go fight in Japan), Anthny Perosh and Hector Lombard would be the closest to Te-Huna.

As for Lucas Browne, he's looked okay so far, but the heavyweight division is bare over here. Guys liek Soa Palelei and Jim Yorke will be bigger tests for him but I have no idea how the standard at the heavies translates overseas.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez it has been a terible few months for UFC. The last few cards have been terrible and 110 looks petty ordinary as well. However, 109 took the biscuit. Coleman headlining an event? Guys totaling over 90 years fighting? Very, very poor event.

Last edited: