• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Niall

International Coach
Cracking main event that with Volk and Islam. Chatter about robbery is silly, Islam won that for me.

Elsewhere not much really, Yair is cool but beating Emmett for the title. MEH.

Elsewhere Maddelena (sp) looks very good.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Cracking main event that with Volk and Islam. Chatter about robbery is silly, Islam won that for me.

Elsewhere not much really, Yair is cool but beating Emmett for the title. MEH.

Elsewhere Maddelena (sp) looks very good.
He definitely won IMO, but fans generally don't like it when someone just holds you on the mat and does nothing. I also think judges shouldn't be hesitant to give out draws in such cases.

There are wrestling-dominated fights that are in complete contrast to what we saw in Volk vs Islam. Usman vs Masvidal 1 comes to my mind, Usman just held him against the cage the whole time but also made sure that Masvidal wasn't doing any striking or damage. That looks fair and square to me coz you didn't let the opponent hurt you and kept pressing forward.

But it looks weird when one guy does much better at striking while the other guy has more control time and the one with the more control time gets the W.

Niall

International Coach
Jon Jones, some effort although suspect Gane just froze on the night.

Nice test for Shavkat which he came through, Bo is obviously very good but he needs more tests before he fights someone elite, he needed a low blow to get om top of Pickett.

Shev probably wins the rematch but clearly slowing down sadly. Father time remains undefeated.

Niall

International Coach
Izzy!

No surprise he and Dana are not keen n a third fight, can't risk him losing again.

Their is nobody in the division who is an obvious next contender , Khamzat I suppose but he seems to have issues when it comes to entering the USA and he has never actually beaten anyone of note at this weight class.

Rojas got screwed over , stuck him in the cage with a really strong opponent. He needed another few cans before that.

Gilbert v Edwards next please.

Niall

International Coach
I don't think he took Strickland seriously sadly.

Strickland is more interesting than he is given credit for although not sure how many of the elite he can beat whether Izzy rematch, DDP, Khamzat or even Bo Nickal who will get a serious push next year.

Niall

International Coach
Strickland for me probably won, but far from a robbery.

It was an ok fight, but nowhere good enough to save a shambolic card or to merit an immediate rematch.

Dricus v Izzy/Khamat next seems the obvious path.

The WMMA co main event was what the nightmares are made of sadly. 😥

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
Poor Volk :cry: Those last 2 fights have been rough to watch. Topuria is damn good though, the two Georgian lads put on a show. Dvalishvili looked like a monster as well, manhandled Cejudo. Cejudo's decision to retire for 3 years at the peak of his powers looks more bizarre the more fights he has.

Costa-Bobby Knuckles was fun. Dunno how Whittaker survived that wheel kick in round 1 :-O

Niall

International Coach
Poor Volk :cry: Those last 2 fights have been rough to watch. Topuria is damn good though, the two Georgian lads put on a show. Dvalishvili looked like a monster as well, manhandled Cejudo. Cejudo's decision to retire for 3 years at the peak of his powers looks more bizarre the more fights he has.

Costa-Bobby Knuckles was fun. Dunno how Whittaker survived that wheel kick in round 1 :-O
Double champ was Henry and he quit for 3 years in a powerplay for more money and yeah and it really did not work out. I think that will haunt him later in life, he would not have made crazy money but nonetheless lost out on a lot of money those 3 years.

Whittakar v Srickland next makes a lot of sense IMO.