• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The UFC is a much better place to be as an up and coming fighter.
Don't think you're comparing like-for-like. UFC is a promotional group - i.e. it's already picking from established professionals.

A better comparison would be UFC vs PBC, or simply professional boxers vs professional MMC fighters.

In either case I don't think that article supports your point.

cnerd123

likes this
Comparing MMA as a whole vs Boxing as a whole is a different discussion. MMA is a smaller sport. I was just making the point that if you're an up and coming fighter (for example, a 21 year old combat sport athlete with 10 or less competitive bouts under your belt) then you are definitely getting a better deal fighting in the UFC than you would in Boxing or any other sport with the same level of skill/experience. And that is true.

Different story if you're an Olympian or a famous youtuber looking to make a quick buck lol

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Comparing MMA as a whole vs Boxing as a whole is a different discussion. MMA is a smaller sport. I was just making the point that if you're an up and coming fighter (for example, a 21 year old combat sport athlete with 10 or less competitive bouts under your belt) then you are definitely getting a better deal fighting in the UFC than you would in Boxing or any other sport with the same level of skill/experience. And that is true.

Different story if you're an Olympian or a famous youtuber looking to make a quick buck lol
?? no it isn't, and I just told you why!

bizarre logic

again, comparing average UFC fighters vs all professional boxers is not the same thing. You might want to try average UFC fighter vs average PBC boxer, or average Top Rank boxer, or average Match Room boxer or whatever.

cnerd123

likes this
the UFC signs tons of young guys without much fight experience. The 'established fighters only' thing is not true. Khamzat Chimaev, the guy we were just talking about, was 6-0 pre-UFC. Doubt he would get paid as much in any other combat sport, or any other MMA organization, with that resume.

cnerd123

likes this
Cruz looking good early here.

It's 2021 and Dom is still winning fights. The Dominator proving ring rust really is just a myth.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Love me some Jan! Horrible horrible commentary from Joe and DC. Behaving as if reacting to feints loses you rounds.

Niall

International Coach
Fight night tomorrow, card looks ok, but the main event should be good, happy to see Edwards fight and cool to see Muhammed get the main event slot. :wub:

Niall

International Coach
Meh on the Florida April card.

Jorge can have all the prep he wants, he is not beating Usman.

I'd expect Usman will probably fight once more after the win this year, hopefully its Colby, nobody else can hang with him .

Probably not the safest to have 15000 fans their, but Florida going Florida.

cnerd123

likes this
We need stricter rules on eyepokes IMO. Make it an immediate one-point deduction even if unintentional, and an immediate DQ if it ends a fight. No one needs to frame with an open palm to the face like that. Changing gloves would help, but this is a fairly easy technical adjustment most fighters can make if there were a good reason for it. Frame to the body or keep your first shut if it's going at the face.

Yea don't see Jorge getting over Usman. Think the fight could look more one-sided that their original match tbh.

Only Shevchenko has a chance IMO.

Nunes has done enough to be considered the GOAT at this point. She's beaten some big names during this reign.
Nunes has beaten all the big names during her career lol. Including Schevchenko twice already.

Hope she fights Julianna Pena for the 135 belt next, only somewhat interesting matchup to make. A rematch against Valentina at 135 could be interesting but I doubt the result will be different.

Himannv

International Coach
Nunes has beaten all the big names during her career lol. Including Schevchenko twice already.

Hope she fights Julianna Pena for the 135 belt next, only somewhat interesting matchup to make. A rematch against Valentina at 135 could be interesting but I doubt the result will be different.
No one is likely to beat Nunes, but I think Shevchenko has the best chance. I think the route to gaining victory was established over the course of the first two fights so I think she has a chance.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea but Nunes has improved as well. Much more measured striker, better control of her gas tank. I think her power will be a problem no matter what approach Schevchenko takes.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Good to see the UFC finally acknowledge that Khabib is retired. Chandler and Oliveira to fight for the belt in May. The right fight to make with Dustin doing the trilogy with Conor. I think Chandler is going to take this one.

Niall

International Coach
Happy with that and for once they seemed to have prioritised meritocracy rather than money with the May fight.

Dustin probably fights and beats Conor in July for crazy money so he won't be to upset right now.

Gaetjhe out in the cold which is a shame but ah well.

A lass fainted twice at the weigh in for tomorrow night, clearly a weight cut issue,,,:(

cnerd123

likes this
UFC needs to start adopting ONE Championship-style weight classes and hydration checks in the leadup to fights. Should adopt PRIDE style scoring too tbh. The 10 point must system and weight cutting are both relics of other sports that do not fit in modern day MMA.