• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

cnerd123

likes this
Conor Vs DP hype

Hooker Vs Chandler should be a great fight too, and the whole card from the Prelims should be a lot of fun.

cnerd123

likes this
Main card underwhelming apart from co-main and main. Good fights, great moments.

Prelims were decent. Disappointed to see Khalil lose.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Conor's boxing heavy training has completely destroyed what made him special, he just wanted to sit in the pocket and trade. Since he changed the karate stance with the kicks to set up the straight left, he is nowhere lethal as he was.
Poirier and Chandler for the LW title fight would be a banger.

Niall

International Coach
Tough to know Conor does next, I genuinely think he wants to have more MMA fights, but he probably could do with a few softies because this is not Conor of old .

However it must be tempting to think "**** that" and fight Jake Paul and Manny for stupid money.

I'd hope he picks the first option, but could understand if he wanted the gimmick fights for the sweet moolah.

Niall

International Coach
I like both of them and wish them well but that should be that for Edgar and Overeem.

Kape in his fight genuinely had no idea what he was doing clearly trying to cruise and look good for social media but was always behind. Utterly bizarre.

Dariush also won a cracker, great to see but think he has hit his ceiling now, he probably deserves a money fight against a big name but he will likely lose that.

Niall

International Coach
Usman is a monster. Loved that fight.

The rest of the card I barely remember tbh!

Hoping for Edwards v Colby in March, not sure what Usman can do next , nobody at his level. I have no interest in a rematch v Jorge and I suspect neither does Jorge despite all the twitter silliness. He wants money fights but ideally ones he can win thus why he is ducking Colby.

indiaholic

International Captain
Usman is a monster. Loved that fight.

The rest of the card I barely remember tbh!

Hoping for Edwards v Colby in March, not sure what Usman can do next , nobody at his level. I have no interest in a rematch v Jorge and I suspect neither does Jorge despite all the twitter silliness. He wants money fights but ideally ones he can win thus why he is ducking Colby.
Wonderboy.

Niall

International Coach
solid enough fight night that.

Obvious highlight though was Lewis knockout, I don't think he would have a hope v Jones but the dude is so cool he deserves the pay day.

Daukaus and Aspinall look like good prospects, but obviously very early days for those 2.

Niall

International Coach
Dana a little harsh on Gane, yeah it was boring but he handled business very easily. He's still very young in the game.

Not much else I can remember from the card bar the Rivera fight which was really good.

Next week looks a banger though.

cnerd123

likes this
This is absurd. Why is he retiring though? Complications related to Covid?
yes. Apparently he returned to training and felt like ****, so posted on instagram he was retiring. Dana then called him up, and then spoke to the press saying it's just Khamzat being a bit emotional and not being fully fit yet, and that he will fight again.

Who knows at this point. I just hope Khamzat gets over the effects of COVID sooner than later, even if he never fights again

Dana is such a dire individual.
idk, I like him. Bit of a dick, but who isn't. He's one of the reason MMA is as big as it is today, and by many accounts has a generous and considerate side to him. Has paid for his fighter's kid's medical bills, apparently hands out a lot of under-the-table bonuses, talks **** to trolls on twitter lol.

indiaholic

International Captain
The under the table bonuses are just a way to reduce the market value of the fighters. You can't negotiate with another org based on what you used to get under the table.

cnerd123

likes this
eh the thing with fighter pay is more complex than just Dana being stingy. Apparently the middle-of-the-pack UFC fighter gets paid more than a boxer of similar repute/experience, and the structure that allows boxing to have such large pay days is also why you have all the meaningless belts, can crushing, and top boxers ducking each other.

Fighting for the UFC is already way better pay-wise than being a professional BJJ player or kickboxer, and it thanks to the UFC that we now have some legit competition in One Championship, Bellator, PFL, etc. Fighter pay has also risen significantly in the past decade and just keeps getting higher.

Niall

International Coach
This is absurd. Why is he retiring though? Complications related to Covid?
Dana seems confident he won't retire, just a case of Chimaev been over emotional after an intense training session.

Supposedly he should have been resting, but a fight against Magny in June was happening.

Magny is not exactly a killer, but also not an opponent you should fight if you are struggling with covid.

cnerd123

likes this
According to whom?

Chael Sonnen also drew up a comparison between how much Dustin Porier -top 5 in the world MMA lightweight- earned in his last fight compared to a top 5 in the world in his weight class boxer from the same city (don't remember the name). I'll share the video if I can dig it up.

The UFC is a much better place to be as an up and coming fighter.
Not denying any of that but they are still paid way less than they should be. Imagine receiving brain damage for 20k/20k.
I pay money to receive brain damage in mma gyms lol. It's a career choice like any other. 20k for one fight is significantly more than what I earn in a month. I don't think it's terrible. Boxers who get paid as little as 250-1k a fight to be a can...now that I question.