• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
The YES! Cartwheel is the greatest thing I've seen from the UFC since the Buffer '360. Diego Sanchez is a genius, would love to see him knock BJ Penn out tommorow night. War Nightmare!

Majin

International Debutant
hahahaha the yes cartwheel. Diego is such a god. Diego by force choke in the 1st imho. Gonna have to chorus the WAR NIGHTMARE!

chalky

International Debutant
The YES! Cartwheel is the greatest thing I've seen from the UFC since the Buffer '360. Diego Sanchez is a genius, would love to see him knock BJ Penn out tommorow night. War Nightmare!
Why all BJ Penn hate I love the guy especially since he gave a beat down to the 'Steriod Shark'. Couldn't stand him as champion the most boring fighter in the UFC.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Just don't really like him. I think he's definitely mellowed recently, far less arrogant, but in the past he's just acted like a grade A douche. Don't get me wrong, I think he's an awesome fighter, and think he'll beat Sanchez, as he's superior to him in every department bar mean faces and YES! Cartwheels, but I just don't particularly like him. Mainly because of the way he spent the few months after the 2nd GSP fight bitching about GSP being on HGH and then the whole greasing issue, and never actually admitted he got his arse handed to him by a superior fighter. I do think BJ came across as far more likeable in the more recent 107 Countdown show though. I'll give him that.

My 107 Predictions:

BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez
Cheick Kongo vs Frank Mir
Clay Guida vs Kenny Florian
Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve
Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce

Prelim Card

Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia
Matt Wiman vs Shane Nelson
Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch
Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares
DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia
Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant

I can't normally be bothered to pick the Prelim fights, but these ones are pretty good. I imagine Belcher-Gouveia, Wiman-Nelson and one other will be shown on the actual broadcast, and I'd be interested to see the others. Especially the Johnson-Garcia fight, I'm hoping DaMarques Johnson gets KTFO. Definitely the fighter I dislike more than any other, thought he was a complete **** on TUF and hope his stint in the UFC doesn't last long. Such an arrogant knob, I disliked him all season but grabbing the trophy from Dana and handing it to Wilks in a clear attempt to hog some camera time was so annoying. I really hope Garcia puts him to sleep. /rant. :p

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great start to the card so far.

I thought Struve definitely won the first fight. No idea what the crowd were booing so hard for. Stefan convincgly won round 1 and 3 and Buentello unquestionably 2. My question for Struve was why did you bother jumping into punches trying to go for low percentage flying knees when you could've utilised your length advantage and kickboxing skills right from the first minute? He's a ridiculously young guy though so I thing this might have been a deer in the headlights type of brain fade from Struve. Think he's a very nice prospect, in a couple of years time he could be very very dangerous especially as he fills out his insanely large frame.

Florian-Guida went as expected imo. I love Clay and was rooting hard for him but he constantly flirts with the elite but can never get there. His takedowns and top game are generally very good but he has weak standup (offence and defence) and no conclusive finishing skills. The one time he knocked Florian down early and tried to get on top he couldn't even get past first level guard let alone mount any offence. Youc could see from the last 2 minutes of the first round when Forian started opening up that it was only a matter of time till something landed and it did. Florian was impressively ruthless in how quickly he saw the opening and finished the fight.

Fitch-Pierce now. Looking forward to this. Love Fitch.

duffer

Fitch's defence was airtight until the last minute nof the fight when Pierce got desperate and started landing. Fitch just waited and took advantage of every minute opening he saw during the fight. Getting back control in all three rounds eventually gave it to him, not the most exiciting fight but I enjoyed the tactical aspect of it.

Pierce showed trememndous heart and cardio to stay and play all the way through, Fitch made him work really really hard with all those take down attempts, solid weight distribution and pushing the pace with his standup. His clinch work looked well improved as well. Definitely enough of a performance to keep Pierce in the mix imo, I quite like what he brings to the table. A fair amount of upside to hsi game.

Now for the ME's. C'mon Cheick, c'mon Diego! Punk those douchebags out please.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
**** I hate Mir. Really impressive win though. At the weight he's at now he'll be a much bigger test for Brock provided Lesnar recovers OK.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
**** I hate Mir. Really impressive win though. At the weight he's at now he'll be a much bigger test for Brock provided Lesnar recovers OK.
That was a big fight for Mir. Kongo is a dangerous fighter but isnt a legit contender. A loss here would have killed Mir's career. Instead he did what he needed to do (in exciting fashion) to keep him up there and relevant in UFC heavyweight division.

Regarding the first fight, I wanted Struve to win but I had Buentello winning 2 rounds to 1. Im not overly concerned though.

duffer

**** me dead, Sanchez has some ****ing heart but BJ is just the Don. Thought it was over but looks like there's some life in it, although after that first punch I can't see how Sanche will have the assertiveness to push the pace, let alone get past the best takedown defence in the game and then arguably the best guard in the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
**** me dead, Sanchez has some ****ing heart but BJ is just the Don. Thought it was over but looks like there's some life in it, although after that first punch I can't see how Sanche will have the assertiveness to push the pace, let alone get past the best takedown defence in the game and then arguably the best guard in the game.
Yeah, BJ looking a different class and impressive. Hats off to Sanchez for still being there in round 3. BJshould look to finish this thing

Last edited:

duffer

Very impresive heart and cardio from Diego but just not in BJ's league. Has no quit in him, but wow that cut was probaby the only way he'd be finished, it was nastiest I've ever seen. We are seriously witnessing greatness though. Priviledged tbh.

The UFC need to find a way to get Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez into the UFC. From an MMA fight fans point of view an Aoki-Penn fight would be the pinnacle.

duffer

Loved the card to bits though. Just a shame Rampage-Rashad couldn't happen here. Would've been competely and utterly epic.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Watched UFC live for the first time in about seven years last night, and I enjoyed it. Think I'll have to keep an eye on it in future, only problem is that I don't have the channel it's shown on at my house.

Who was the guy that looked like Ryan Sidebottom? He was mental

Majin

International Debutant
Never been more disappointed, everyone I wanted to win lost and lost hard. :( Night to forget. The only good thing was Belchers pink shorts and crazy redneck hair. Hilarious.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Who was the guy that looked like Ryan Sidebottom? He was mental
Clay Guida. I don't particularly like him. He gives a good fight every time, he looks crazy and he bleeds so he is popular. He just isn't a top level fighter. He has lost 8 of his last 15 fights and probably doesn't deserve to be on as many cards as he is.

Last edited: