• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Flem274*

123/5
so after doing muay thai for a couple of weeks after promising a friend i'd give a training a crack if i watched her fight i've been watching old fights on youtube etc this week and getting into this. watched both the whitaker v romero and israel v kelvin fights today.

i didn't think i'd ever be a convert to this sport but here i am. i think it was the 'conditioning' we had on monday where you have to let your partner punch you lots and you're not allowed to defend yourself that sold me. this stuff is a pretty hardcore challenge. i hate the bigger trash talkers and most of the fanbase but the act of getting in the ring itself is full on gutsy.

cnerd123

likes this
Faber took one hell of an ass kicking. I still can't believe they fed him to Petr Yan. Fight should have been stopped in Round 2, and if not, then his coaches should have never let him get off the stool for Round 3. Yan's a real problem.

Moraes looked very very good vs Aldo, but tbh I had Aldo winning rounds 2 and 3. But I can totally see how judges would give Moraes round 3 after the last minute. A note on Aldo moving down - most fighters move up a weightclass to extend their careers, Aldo moving down had me worried, and I felt he was gonna get rekt. By cutting down to 135 he's actually sacrificing speed and his chin. But he showed that depth of skill and experience, and he's obviously still got the power. He looked slower than Moraes, but he read him well, hurt him when he landed, took some good shots, and IMO won that fight. He looked good and I'm excited for his potential match-ups here.

Moraes vs Yan next, winner fights Cejudo IMO. In the meanwhile, draft Cejudo in to fight Valentina as a short notice replacement for Chookagian plz.

Nunes is a monster and GDR is way tougher than I gave her credit for. I thought she ducked Cyborg and so would find a way out of this fight once she got hit, but she hung in there and could have even won if she had a better ground/guard game. Really good fight.

I picked Volkanovski to beat Max. Although tbf I was picking him to finish Max, but a 5 round decision is close enough. Not a knock on Max, Volkanovski is just a phenomenal athlete and really well rounded. Max could take him in a rematch, but the fight will have to be more of a chess match and less of a brawl. Max relying on his volume, cardio and chin was never going to be enough. He's got to actually fight to a gameplan and use his skill and experience to beat Volkanovski.

And the main event, OMG. I want a compilation GIF of all the time Kumaru and Colby punched each other in the face simultaneously. Two elite wrestlers who choose to stand and bang, always a recipe for an instant classic. Both men were beasts, in the end it was Usman breaking Colby's jaw in Round 3 that won him the fight. Wasn't an easy fight to score, I'd have to rewatch it. Haven't checked to see what the judges scored it as, but tbf who gives a **** what the judges think anymore. Glad Usman finished it.

Been a long while till I've seen a card this good.

Oh - and how terrible was it that Colby fans in the stadium were chanting 'U-S-A!' over and over. Kumaru is American too! Must have felt awful for Usman to hear all that. Glad he won tbh.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
so after doing muay thai for a couple of weeks after promising a friend i'd give a training a crack if i watched her fight i've been watching old fights on youtube etc this week and getting into this. watched both the whitaker v romero and israel v kelvin fights today.

i didn't think i'd ever be a convert to this sport but here i am. i think it was the 'conditioning' we had on monday where you have to let your partner punch you lots and you're not allowed to defend yourself that sold me. this stuff is a pretty hardcore challenge. i hate the bigger trash talkers and most of the fanbase but the act of getting in the ring itself is full on gutsy.
you going to Core? Do BJJ there, haven't touched kickboxing.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
nah im out te rapa way near the wintec. small gym, but has plenty of success. not that i'd know though, i'm a total noob.
What I've loved about fighting is how different fighting gyms are to what your average joe would assume. Often really friendly places full of smart level headed people.

Flem274*

123/5
What I've loved about fighting is how different fighting gyms are to what your average joe would assume. Often really friendly places full of smart level headed people.
i've definitely noticed this. i'm sure the sport has its fair share of knobs, but i guess there's something about fighting that makes people drop the sort of crap you see from some senior players in team sports. that and you've gotta trust your gym mates to practice hard but sensibly with you.

cnerd123

likes this
This Bellator Japan/RIZIN card on 29th Dec is dope. Shame they're hiding it behind DAZN

Will probably get the RIZIN 20 card. Looks fun as well, although lacking a bit in star power to the earlier New Years Cards

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
UFC 1 is currently on YouTube. Watched it for the first time recently, never knew how much of a car-crash those early fights used to be. Pretty fascinating stuff though, considering it was before MMA was a thing & fighters with varying styles go up against one another.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm actually disappointed. I was hoping for a repeat of the Alvarez fight, not the Aldo one

Decent card except for the Holly fight.

King Pietersen

International Captain
What a performance. Beautiful head-kick and ruthless finishing. Those shoulder strikes were beautiful as well. Think we'll see a quick turn-around from McGregor. Would LOVE McGregor-Masvidal this year. Dana's ****ing talking about Khabib already, I don't think anyone wants to see that again yet. Beat Masvidal, beat Gaethje and then think Khabib. Khabib's got Ferguson to think about first as well, that's not a definite Khabib win.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get it. Cowboy dude had lost 6 of his last 10 fights including a first round ko in his last fight.

Why is McGregor getting so much credit for knocking out a journeyman?

cnerd123

likes this
I don't get it. Cowboy dude had lost 6 of his last 10 fights including a first round ko in his last fight.

Why is McGregor getting so much credit for knocking out a journeyman?
40 second KOs aren't common in the UFC, no matter how big the differential in skill.

A lot of people in the media space underrate Conor because they feel the hype around him has no substance behind it (2-2 in his last 4 MMA fights, loss to Floyd, hasn't stepped into the Octogon for a year and hasn't had a win in around 2 years). They were even going as far as saying Cowboy had a legit shot at winning.

In this context, the reaction to his win is understandable. And TBF, if you watched the fight, it's pretty impressive. The amount of damage he did in just 40 seconds is truly remarkable.