• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The guy's apparently got an addiction to painkillers, and he needs to be given the best help possible to get him clean. I like Dana White alot, he says some silly things at times, but from his Vlog's and random interviews he seems like a quality bloke, but I don't agree with the UFC just dumping Parisyan.
Wow, I dont even think his closest friend would say that. In many regards a quality businessman though

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WEC's card was so much better than the last UFC and Strikeforce ones were. Very very glad we're getting them shown here now.

As far as 106 goes I see 3 interesting fights on the Main Card (Tito's, Rumble-Kos and Little Nog's debut against Cane) and a couple of sleepers on the undercard ( Davis-Saunders, Rosholt-Kendall). Could be a rather good event tbh.

Not really fussed if this is it for Karo. Guy has personal issues and when he did make his last fight he tested positive afterwards. Only so many chances a guy can get.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Wow, I dont even think his closest friend would say that. In many regards a quality businessman though
I think he comes across really well on his Video Blogs. I think he's a funny guy, and the way he interacts with the fans and is always happy to give them time when he's out and about is really admirable. In Germany he was swarmed by fans, and was chatting to all of them and he gives away free tickets a few days before every event. Sure he's opinionated and has said some rather questionable things, but I think he comes across as a decent bloke on his Vlogs.

I'm looking forward to getting the WEC events here. Been rumours recently that Zuffa are trying to sort something out. I imagine it'll be shown on ESPN if they do get something sorted, but there've been rumours of it being on Virgin or Bravo as well.

106 is gonna be a decent event. Could have been alot better if Brock hadn't got ill and if Carwin hadn't been injured. That would have been a great fight. I was really looking forward to Parisyan-McLovin as well, so it's a shame to see that one off the card. Looking forward to Forrest-Tito though. Love Forrest Griffin, such a quality bloke, so hoping he ends his losing streak, although losses to Rashad Evans and Anderson Silva aren't much to be worried about, both top tier fighters. War Forrest!

duffer

106 delivered big time for me. Really nice card as it turned out.

- Sotiropolous very impressive again. 5 wins on the bounce for him and 4 in the UFC. Give him someone better.

-Great to see Kendall come back and win. He's a top bloke, hope he can keep himself in the UFC.

-Baroni's entrance was complete badass. So great to see him back. Was worried for Amir when he faced that early flurry and thought another quick TKO was coming but he hung in there and Phil's cardio is brutally bad. Once Sadollah weathered the storm he picked him apart and his leg striking is tight.

-Little Nog was so awesome. Made a mockery of the Cane hype as Minotouro was in a different league. Has some great wins on his resume and glad to see him hit the mainstream now. Was so so happy to see him win. Still freaked out that I can't tell him and his brother apart when watching them. They even talk the same.

-Thiago-Volkmann was a good fight. Quite back and forth in parts with Thiago imo edging it all the way. He was in a proper fight and Volkmann jits defece was very solid. I actually saw his only fight in Bellator and was skeptical about whether he could play in the UFC but he exceeded expectations and deserves another couple of fights at least.

-Kos-Rumble. Wow, seriously what a ****ing mess of a fight. I think Johnson mentally lost it once he threw that knee, and Koscheck showed a heap of balls to come back and be the aggressor straight afterwards. Early in the fight he looked overwhelmed by Johnson's length and the thought of getting ktfo but he manned up and was ultra impressive.

For a talented wrestler Johnson looked powerless on the ground. Needs a jits school and quick. Eat,sleep and **** there for a year or so. Although it looks like he's been at AKA for a while which really is horrendous that he hasn't improved training with the type of guys they have there. At least he made weight I guess.

Going to cross the floor wrt Koscheck. Used to think he was a complete **** (still do) but at least he's an entertaning one. Loved his calling out of Dan Hardy at the end there. I think GSP would eat them both alive even if they fought handicap but at least Kos would find a way to make the fight sell. He's also got more bollocks than anyone (apart from Fitch maybe) who's been destroyed by GSP recently so at leats he won't puss out at any stage. I'm a believer.

-Tito-Forrest was pretty good too. I was however ridiculously shocked with how Tito got picked apart in the third round. Culdn't believe my eyes seeing it. His post fight bitch session about fighting with slipped discs and cracked skulls was hilarious though. Same old Tito, have to love the guy. Forrest defending him from the booing as pure class though. As disappointed as I was with Lesnar-Carwin not happening this turned out to be a really enjoyable card with a fitting ME. Been a good week for the Zuffa promotions, very much looking forward to TUF10 finale and UFC 107 (Nightmare!)

duffer

I do realise Kos has foguht and been battered by GSP before but I think he's impoved in the past two years. His loss to Thiago doesn't do him any favours though when he runs his mouth.

Majin

International Debutant
Yep I have to say I wasn't expecting much from it because I wasn't a huge fan of anyone on the card bar Lil Nog and Sotiropoulos but I really enjoyed the event, was one of the more entertaining ones i've seen in a while.

Sotiropoulos is a god damn badass. Love his ground work so much and his boxing looked tight at the start of the fight. Would definitely be interested in seeing him take on someone higher level.

Phil Baroni is beautiful. Those sunglasses were just amazing. Fight went pretty much how I expected it would though, 3 minutes of weathering the storm then 12 minutes of new york gassed to ****. Man does not look like a WW in the slightest the cut must kill him.

Marked out like a bitch for Lil Nog, some sick counterpunching. I am excited to see what he'll do in the LHW division. And yeah I got a kick out of how his voice was exactly the same as Big Nogs as well. I hope he ends up fighting couture so I get to hear him referred to as 'Handy' again.

Brazilian Special ops cop vs random gammy eye redneck was the most coldest **** ever. UFC should feel guilty about making that fight. But it was a pretty good fight and Volkmann looked like he might sneak a victory at the end of the fight so it was entertaining. Feel sorry for all these WW's though as long as GSP exists they are basically pointless.

Koscheck and Rumble was pretty diabolical, was interesting when it was just fighting but all the illegal **** and Koschecks random "my eye my eye that never got hit" made it a bit of a laugh for me. Still cheered loudest of the night when that cheating LHW wannabe fat **** tapped out though, have no respect for the man whatsoever. Move up to MW or **** off imho. Little interaction between Koscheck and Hardy was funny though, but again they are all fairly pointless thanks to GSP. I don't see him getting Serra'd again any time soon. Though, I reckon Hardy could sell the GSP fight just as well as Kos could. Americans from what i've seen can't stand the dude, pretty sure they'd be paying to watch him get murked by GSP. I think he's pretty funny. (on a slightly related sidenote, hhahahaah marcus davis got his ass handed to him I love it. maybe he can shut the **** up about Hardy now.)

Ortiz/Griffin was way better than I was expecting apart from Tito deciding the way to win the last round was to stand there and let Forrest break his hands on his massive head. And yeah the excuses he was reeling off were hilarious, and I loved Tito and Forrest putting the crowd in their place that was hilarious. Down to death for Ortiz/Griffin 3 now will definitely be watching that one.

But yeah should be a good few shows coming up. Man I really want Diego to smash BJ. And I really, really want Clay Guida to smash Kenny Florian.

King Pietersen

International Captain
The Baroni-Sadollah fight really made me laugh, Baroni was completely gassed, he had nothing left by the end.You're being incredibly generous saying he gassed after 3 minutes as well, looked more like a minute to me. Was entertaining though, Baroni showed some real heart to keep going. I do like Amir Sadollah though, his interview at the end of the fight was very funny. I was quite surprised to see that he's 29 as well. I'd seen him fight before, but never clocked his age. I presumed he was in his early 20's, he looks about 12.

Lil Nog was brilliant. I've not seen a great deal of him. I saw the win over Henderson, one of the wins over Overeem and the loss to Shogun in PRIDE; as well as his win in Affliction, but apart from that I've not seen too much. I was very impressed though, picked Cane apart, and the big left that knocked him down was huge. Really good performance, would like to see him get upto title contention status, you've got to love the Nogueira's really, quality blokes.

Glad the Anthony Johnson hype train has slowed. I like the guy, but some of the hype he's been getting on MMAF is just ludicrous. Just abit annoyed that it was Koscheck who beat him. Don't like him at all, never have. I liked him for 1 episode on TUF, the one where he helped Knobby Southworth make weight, but after that he acted like a complete dick. His face and hair annoy the hell out of me as well, but I have to give it too him, he's an entertaining fighter. Didn't understand the eye thing, he didn't even get touched, so where that came from I don't know. Seemed to clear up pretty quickly as well. Didn't like the way he blatently outstretched his finger and poked Rumble in the eye either, looked worse on replay but still pretty low.

Loved Forrest beating Tito. Not only because I love Forrest Griffin, but because we got to hear some more classic Tito excuses :laugh: The guy's a genius. All the hype was about Tito being 100% and then after the fight he bitched about a load of injuries, what a ****. The decision was close, and I was a little scared for Forrest, but delighted he got the win. Hopefully he'll put a couple more wins together now and get himself back up towards a title shot, man the LHW division's stacked atm.

Got the TUF Finale coming up next on December 5th, that'll be a good event. Some good fights lined up. Hamill-Jones should be a good exciting battle. Jones is another that's pretty over-rated by alot of people, but he's definitely got some skills. His throws are awesome. Be interesting to see if Kimbo-Alexander is on the TUF Finale card, or whether Kimbo'll get a PPV slot. I'd bet that Kimbo will get on a PPV, just for the revenue he brings in, but you never know. I'm hoping to see Marcus Jones win the contract, hopefully against Roy Nelson in the final.

Hoping mean faced Sanchez beats BJ Penn at 107 also. Really don't like Penn, especially for the way he continued to make excuses about the GSP fight even in the build-up to his fight with Florian. I'm looking forward to Florian-Guida as well. 2 guys I like and 2 exciting fighters. It's going to be a battle. Mir vs Kongo's going to be interesting as well. Kongo has to keep the fight standing where he has a clear advantage, but if Mir gets him down then it's bad luck Kongo. Another fight between 2 guys I like, really don't know who I want to win that one. I'd enjoy seeing a big Kongo KO, but Frank Mir's a guy I really respect, so I'd be happy seeing him get back to winning ways.

Last edited:

duffer

Surprisingly hyped for TUF 10 this weekend. None of the fights from the house particularly do it for me but any chance to see Jon Jones go is always going to be awesome. Two pretty crack wrestlers going at it so we might end up seeing some standup. KO for Jones I hope.

Hope Kimbo somehow wins though. Will be crazy seeing him in the Octagon.

However what I'm really hyped about is Page saying he'll return to "shut Rashad and Dana up". Wag, that fight is going to be off the charts. Going to be the greatest staredown too. Will be so hype it's not funny.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Unbelievable first round in the Kimbo/Alexander fight. Kimbo's ground game has come along in leaps and bounds, but I'm not sure how one of the judges gave him the first round. Still, very happy for Kimbo because he seems like a legitimately nice guy who wants to succeed in this sport.

duffer

Bull****, seriously ****ed up. Mazzagati was the same douche who refd the Burns fight but didn't decide to end it with a DQ. Shocks me to death with that decision, fight shoud've been stopped long earlier, Hammil's two choices were continue to be picked apart on the mount or drop his hands and expose everything. Not even a ****ing warning for the illegal shots. **** off Mazagatti.

On the flipside, it's a pure joy to watch a guy as athletic and talented as Jones. Boy is going to be a beast, trains with quality guys and works his balls off. Boy is going very very far and is pure class as a person too. Threw a stud wrestler around like a rag doll and made him his bitch on the ground, this won't do him any harm at all in any credible person's eyes. If anything it confirms how legit he is. Getting to Machida, Sanchez, Rampage level of love for me.

Also very happy for Kimbo, shocked at how fluid his takedowns were and even when he got swept by the leg kick he showed smarts by going straight for the single as soon as Houston came forward to buy himself some time and get into a dominant position. The first round was ludicrous though, should have been a 10-10 as no one actually did naything. Gave the fight 30-29 to Kimbo. EDIT: 30-28 to Kimbo.

Main Event time and as much as I hate Big Country him coming out to MJ was a riot.

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
That was ****ing savage man, I wanted Nelson to lose but if he is going to do that to people I am all for it.

duffer

Just realised he came out to Weird Al's - I'm Fat. Haha, forget Machida style training, they should all hit KFC whenever they want.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well that was a pretty poor event. Terrible production values, some dubious decisions, dragged out card, controversy over sponsors with neo-nazi links, lacklustre crowd, anticlimatic award ceremony, an underwhelming 'announcement and a couple of really poor fights.

Nice finish by Nelson though.

duffer

Personally don't mind Tito-Chuck as coaches. Both were very good coaches last time around, haven't been on the show for a while, have big personalities, their spinoff fight might actually be good and will draw. Not feeding them to the big hitters at 205 now is a smart move imo, shudder to think what the likes of Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Evans would do to them now.

Also, a mate of mine just got me a ticket to UFC 110 in Sydney. Think I'm going to be grinning until February. Nog-Velasquez, Bisping-Wanderlei, then seeing Bader, Crocop, Jardine, Lytle, Kim, Bonnar all in Australia. Epic.

Majin

International Debutant
You bastard, I am jealous! Big Nog live, so much envy :(

but yeah good **** man, heckle Bisping for us for great justice imho.

Also not all that into the next coaches, severely cba for 11 weeks of Tito Ortiz. Don't mind Chuck but eh, doesn't do much for me. Thought the idea of GSP/Hardy would have been a lot funnier even though unlikely, you know Dan Hardy would have been trolling GSP hard the entire time.