Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The MMA/UFC Thread

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Yeah really agree, the way he acted after the fight was hilarious as well, like he was Mike Tyson in his prime or something. What a failure at life.

Kimbo is the dude, next episode preview looked promising.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    I missed it tonight. Who was the referee?

If it was Mazzagatti I'd imagine Dana would've cracked the ****s.

Herb Dean was the guy. Dana let loose on Nelson though. Can't stand the ****face. Rashad is pissing me off too. Acting like he's some super coach when Greg Jackson is probably telling him what to do at every step of the way.

Page better get on the board quick though. This is getting embaressing.

Wow, as much as I was gunning for Lyoto I didn't see that decision coming. This is one where I watch again without listening to that douchebag Goldberg highlighting every thing Rua did well as some sort of evidence he's dominating. Thought it was a close fight which probably should have gone the other way.

Credit to Shogun who's gameplan and excecution was superb. First fighter to want to attack Machida and kill his mobility and he did it well. Was a very very good Main Event.

The rest of the card wasn't great tbh. Velasquez put up his best performance ever and it highlighted how beastly Cheick was in staying with him for 5 rounds. A very interesting road ahead for this guy.

Rumble coming in that far overweight is disgraceful imo. You're a ****ing welterweight you have to weigh 171 pounds come fight time. Having a judoka come up against a striker who should probably be a LHW was a joke, just a setup to have him ktfo of someone. Really hope Yoshida doesn't get cut from the UFC over this.

Tibau-Neer was decent and tactically very watchable but excitement wise nothing special.

Who the **** keeps putting Stevenson on these main cards? Meh. Had enough of him, he's no stiff but he's never going to be a contender again unless the depth in the division plummets.

All in all a passable card. Lots of decent fights but very low on the excitement scale, although the ME was intriguing and controversial. Again, will need to watch it on mute to decide if I agree with the scoring. At this point I don't.

Completely gutted personally, Love both Lyoto and Shogun but I was pulling for Shogun in that one and I felt he'd done it. Really did believe he'd win the fight and I am pretty shocked it was a unanimous decision against him. Rematch better happen soon, Shogun shoved all the crap talked about him being done and being past it down everyones throats, can't hardly see anyone else in the UFC pushing Lyoto that badly. Normally not a fan of boo boys in MMA but I was defintely protesting the decision myself. But that's the way it goes and like they say you do have to beat the champ and it was a very close fight but man, I really did think Shogun had done enough to do it. Well yeah, here's hoping for a rematch. I just hope that if they DO rematch this fight doesn't play too much on Shoguns mind and he ends up going out too aggressive and getting KO'd because that would suck.

Yeah wasn't expecting Rothwell to get dominated that hard, good stuff from Velasquez and will be interesting to see who he goes up against next.

Completely agree with you about the Johnson fight, I was pretty disgusted by the whole thing should never have been allowed to happen. Looked like a Middleweight fighting a Lightweight and the size difference was completely ridiculous.

Enjoyed Tibau-Neer for the repeated slams but yeah that was about it.

And yes haha I hate Joe Stevenson so much, worst person. Wish they'd keep the Mic as far away from him as possible.

Undercard was great fun though, Pat Barry vs Hardonk was sick as hell, can't believe Hardonk didn't die from that god damn throat punch he got, what a beast. The finish was awesome, Barrys hooks to him when he was on the floor were so hard it was awesome. Jan Koller lookalike Stefan Struve got a real nice triangle choke victory which was fun to see and then Bader vs Schafer was a fun fight, had a bit of everything from german suplexes to big shots. Petered out a bit at the end but yeah was a good fight. Enjoyed the PPV altogether up until the end really.

Will be interested to see what you make of the main event in mute Duff, don't think i can handle it personally watching that fight again will be too depressing

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post

Will be interested to see what you make of the main event in mute Duff, don't think i can handle it personally watching that fight again will be too depressing
    I tried it and couldn't be swayed too much from my earlier views. I gave Machida round 2 convincingly and round 3 due to his late flurry. First round Shogun edged, last two he won comfortably.

One thing we probably need to take into account is how the judging is done. Apparently Machida stuffing a takedown (which he did a few times) is considered good grappling and is an indication of fight control. Agree somewhat in the right context but thought Shogun only went for the takedown to keep his attack more varied and wasn't overly concerned they were being stopped because he was winning the stand up.

I also thought Lyoto managed to counter a few shots very well when Shogun got forward but he did considerably less damage. All in all I thought Shogun should've won but can see where the judges would've scored more the win for Lyoto. Rua's team were brilliant tactically, Machida considered the most elusive fighter in the UFC so what do they do? They target his larger areas like his ribs and legs and see if they can wear down his mobility. Execution was perfection, I loved it.

Cannot ****ing wait for the rematch though. Machida is going to come in a different fighter after hearing the stuff being said about him and Rua looks like the Pride beast. So so ****ing incredible.

What does blow is Brock is out of UFC 106 due to apparently having swine flu. This would make Forrest-Tito the Main Event which I can stomach because I love both of them.

UFC 108 is now a freak card though:

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin
    Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort
    Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva
    Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Junior dos Santos
    Tyson Griffin vs. Jim Miller
    Carlos Condit vs. Paul Daley

Wow, holy **** wow.

That's why it blows so much for mine, Shogun's strategy was so perfect this fight and as you said he executed it pretty brilliantly, and now in the next fight Machida is going to know all about it and you know a guy like him will find a way to go about things differently as mentioned. Whole thing is a crock but it's neither guys fault, the backlash towards Machida has been very over the top and unnecessary, he wasn't judging the fight. Just wish it had gone the right way because Shogun deserves the strap. I hope in the next fight he takes it to the ground and goes fully Pride Shogun and dominates Lyoto there and puts it beyond all doubt.

Also sucks about Brock, but yeah damn that 108 card is ridiculous. Anderson vs Belfort is gonna be epic, and Rashad vs Thiago should be an awesome fight. Hope Paul Daley can build on his debut as well I like his style and I'd like to see him fight fatboy Rumble if he can ever actually make it down to WW.

edit: although, the main event of 106 for me will always be Karo's return. His judo throws are the best.
    Last edited by Majin; 27-10-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Anyone still following TUF? Love how they take the opportunity to plug Kimbo whenever they can, Dana talked nuff **** about him but he knows who his cash cow is this series will be suave if he gets to fight again though, big fan of the man ITBT he is a good bloke and would like to see him throw hands again before the series is over.

So happy Rampage managed to get a win finally, love Big Baby, was pretty impressed with his performance against Wessel, that armbar came out of god damn nowhere was awesome. Hope he gets into the final. Hope Nelson gets hammered down as well, dude is a ****.

Man 8-0 would have been embaressing. Hope Paige's dude ends up winning it, would be so ridiculously funny. Goddamn I hate Rashad but this has been a terrible season for mine.

They're replaying Season 8 over here and the gap in the quality is so so huge. More interesting fighters, fights, Noguiera and Mir miles above as far as coaches and Nog is the biggest dude ever. Last two seasons haven't been great at all, need some more lightweights/welters and coaches who have personalitites and want to coach too.

Yeah heard they were going to do Light Heavy's and Welters this season and then ended up changing it to Heavy's at the last minute? I am guessing that is why the cast is full of jumped up light heavy's like Schoonover and the rest.

agree with you about season 8, although that may just be because I am a total Big Nog mark, love him so much. Easily my favourite MMA fighter. Thought he was a gun on that season of tuf, seemed to really care about not only his team but everyone in the house, looked at them as fighters and not people there to garner ratings for a reality tv show. such a gun.

also, are you gonna try and catch Fedor vs Rogers at all? heard it is available for fairly cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Yeah heard they were going to do Light Heavy's and Welters this season and then ended up changing it to Heavy's at the last minute? I am guessing that is why the cast is full of jumped up light heavy's like Schoonover and the rest.

agree with you about season 8, although that may just be because I am a total Big Nog mark, love him so much. Easily my favourite MMA fighter. Thought he was a gun on that season of tuf, seemed to really care about not only his team but everyone in the house, looked at them as fighters and not people there to garner ratings for a reality tv show. such a gun.

also, are you gonna try and catch Fedor vs Rogers at all? heard it is available for fairly cheap
    I'll probably stream/torrent it tbh. Looks like a nice card all over. Haven't seen Mousasi or Werdum for a while and Sokoudjou is always fun to watch. Shields v Miller is probably the most exciting fight on that card though.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Excited for Fedor tonight. Its a pleasure to watch him.

MMA (more than most) allows for upsets so it is possible that Rogers will catch him with a freak punch but just seeing the best fighter in the world at work will make my weekend.

Hopefully show the casual viewer that there is more to MMA than UFC, especially at HW.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Apart from Fedor where are all the other top heavys? And heh if you count a drug cheat like Barnett as being legit.

Monson couldn't cut it in the big league and to me Overeem would be eaten up in the UFC. Arlovski, Schitt, Marcio Cru? Heh.

Strikeforce was a great card though. Enjoyed most of it, but tbh pussing out of the UFC has meant that Fedor will never get the mainstream props he deserves. He could have so many incrediby huge fights in the UFC but is settling for never will be's in Strikeforce. Disappointing.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Apart from Fedor where are all the other top heavys? And heh if you count a drug cheat like Barnett as being legit.

Monson couldn't cut it in the big league and to me Overeem would be eaten up in the UFC. Arlovski, Schitt, Marcio Cru? Heh.

Strikeforce was a great card though. Enjoyed most of it, but tbh pussing out of the UFC has meant that Fedor will never get the mainstream props he deserves. He could have so many incrediby huge fights in the UFC but is settling for never will be's in Strikeforce. Disappointing.
    Pussing out? FFS. He earns more outside the UFC and the contract UFC offered was borderline criminal. The UFC is not the sport. At the moment Fedor doesnt need the UFC and he can fight all their fighters when they leave (as they invaribly do). Thant may change in the future but there are still fights outside UFC for him.

His record reads like a list of 'UFC Whos Who'. He is a killer of UFC champs. He has ducked noone.

I never said UFC was the sport. I've even bemoaned the fact that a lot of people think that way.

I'm not going to pretend I was privy to the contract negotiations between Fedor and the UFC but I highly doubt they would have been financially derisory in any offer they made to him.

And where are these top fights outside the UFC for him btw? I see you dodged that question.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information