• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
His whole shtick is that he's super principled and clean as a whistle though. He's basically built his entire career out of it to date. He would basically be self-destructing his entire "brand" if he was exposed as taking banned substances. Just can't see it happening.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sure they do. People lie, and also - Punk doesn't juice. I know you think that pretty much everyone juices. I mean you probably think I'm popping a few right now.But the conviction with which Punk holds his beliefs is pretty clear, the anecdotals are easy enough to find, WWE's wellness may not be worth all that much but given how much they'd have enjoyed taking him down...they'd have the evidence there in the lab if they wanted to, I'm sure...Punk probably lies about a lot of things. He loves the sound of his own voice. But we are talking about a guy who, on the biggest night of his career went partying and did not so much as sip a shandy, because it's not a gimmick, that's actually him. Hence why he could play the extreme version of the gimmick so well circa 2010 and straight edge society

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sure they do. People lie, and also - Punk doesn't juice. I know you think that pretty much everyone juices. I mean you probably think I'm popping a few right now.But the conviction with which Punk holds his beliefs is pretty clear, the anecdotals are easy enough to find, WWE's wellness may not be worth all that much but given how much they'd have enjoyed taking him down...they'd have the evidence there in the lab if they wanted to, I'm sure...Punk probably lies about a lot of things. He loves the sound of his own voice. But we are talking about a guy who, on the biggest night of his career went partying and did not so much as sip a shandy, because it's not a gimmick, that's actually him. Hence why he could play the extreme version of the gimmick so well circa 2010 and straight edge society
nah I don't think everyone juices and I don't think he juices either.

It's fine to just say you believe him, as KingPietersen said. I don't really understand the part where you say you believe him because he's CM Punk and he says so and he seems earnest or whatever. People lie, and people are good at it.

I also don't think the straight edge thing is relevant in the slightest and I'm not sure why you guys are bringing that up.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Making broad statements like because X person lied Y could also be lying is pretty stupid tbh. Why believe anyone about anything?

As for not being able to see the relevance of the straight edge thing...really????

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Making broad statements like because X person lied Y could also be lying is pretty stupid tbh. Why believe anyone about anything?
As for not being able to see the relevance of the straight edge thing...really????
You've misunderstood me.

You're making rationalisations for why he would tell the truth about a topic that people routinely lie about; bringing up points about his character etc. Your buddy would never have an affair, he's such a good guy etc. None of it stops him from lying and none of it really holds much water.

I don't have a problem with you just believing him. Hell, I believe him too.

Roaring Elbow

Cricket Spectator
Will be returning from holiday the day after the fight so I'll have to wait to watch it - and frustratingly stay off the internet. Expecting Punk to fall, sadly.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm not even sure how I want the Punk fight to go really. Part of me is desperate for him to do well, because the amount of waaaaaahing it will generate in the sections of the fanbase that crap on pro-wrestling will be enormous and hilarious.

On the other hand, Punk is extremely self-righteous and a bit of a dick, so I'd enjoy seeing him get slapped.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is obviously all a work. Punk will win his fight but be caught taking roids and be exposed as the biggest hypocrite ever, thus getting suspended from UFC and coming to WWE playing the role of a juiced up part timer who has completely gone against his own principles. You all know it's true. What a heel.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd like to see him do well. I have him as a big underdog, and his attitude towards the whole thing is humble enough that I wouldn't take any satisfaction in seeing him get squashed.

Opinion: A Logical Character Sketch of a Logical Man Thought this was a really interesting piece on Joe Silva.
Yeah, his approach to beginning in the UFC has been humble enough, and I tend to agree with him on most of what he says more generally. It's just the general ego he's shown over his entire career that occasionally grates with me. Can come across as obnoxious and as a bit of a turd. It's good to be forthright in your views and stand up for yourself, but sometimes he seems like a bit of a Dennis Wise without a cause.

His interview with Michael Landsberg was truly brilliant though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there's an adorable story going around about how punk has stopping being friends with Colt Cabana because Colt went backstage at Raw. (and presumably talked to a bunch of friends of colt and punk)

he's the best ****