• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloke has had major roid issues. Has been all over the shop tbh, had a boxing bout, Cage Rage and Aflliction were all stops for him iirc. Hope he's cleaned up though. Don't need another Barnett like douchebag in the UFC.

duffer

UFN 19 was pretty damn good. Disappointed for Huerta, got a lot of time for the guy but he lost that fight pretty soundly I thought. He has some stones on him though, when Maynard had him in the kimura and cranked it up I thought this is done but his escape was insane.

You can see why he's never been finished. Gutted that he's taking some time away from fighting but he'll be back. On that showing Maynard wouldn't get near BJ Penn though. Not sure how two judges gave him all three rounds as it was a fair bit closer than that imo. Delivered another excellent card as well.

I know it's early but looking at the 103 card as it stands:

Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort: Nice

Mirko Filipović vs.Junior dos Santos : Both these guys can knock elepants on their ass. Will be a brutal finish imo.

Mike Swick vs. Martin Kampmann: Love Swick, hope he pulls this one out.

Josh Koscheck vs.Frank Trigg: Good to see Frank back, hope he can ktfo of that douchebag Koscheck

Tyson Griffin vs. Hermes Franca: Like Griffin, hope he does well.

Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller: Escudero is one of my favourite TUF guys. Gutted that this couldn't make a Main card but looking forward to seeing him in action.

Great card for mine. Roll on the 19th.
Can't wait for this. Will probably order and bbq it up again.

King Pietersen

International Captain
103 tonight :D Really looking forward to the return of Vitor Belfort. He's been working hard with Randy at Xtreme Couture and the natural skills he showed early in his career are coming to the fore again. I'm backing Vitor to beat Rich via knockout in the 2nd. I also see Dos Santos pulling off a KO victory over Cro Cop, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Cro Cop came back to form with a bang. He's had surgery on the knee that was troubling him and is now fighting fit.

Was a shame to see Swick pull out of the Kampmann fight with an injury, but I'm looking forward to seeing Daley in the Octagon. If Daley keeps it standing he could definitely pull of a victory, even against a very good Muay Thai practioner in Martin Kampmann, but if it goes to the ground I see a submission victory in favour of Kampmann. I see Koscheck beating Trigg, probably via decision, but we could see an explosive victory for Kos, have to wait and see. Franca-Griffin will go to a decision I imagine, and I'm expecting a Griffin win.

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah really looking forward to UFC 103, Dos Santos vs Cro Cop in particular you just know is going to end in fireworks. Got a load of strong ale and snacks in anyway, so looking forward to the event. No idea which way Ace/Belfort is going to go, but hoping Belfort pulls a win out. Hope Twinkle toes comes back with a bang as well.

Also, anyone else gonna be tuning into TUF 10? Rampage is a freak. And the first episode was pretty cool. Fight wasn't that great but god damn the blood and gore mess that was Abe Wagners face at the end of it was disgusting, it was extreme. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out, want Kimbo to put a beatdown on someone purely to annoy all these failures who have nothing better to do than whinge about him all day. at the end of the day he's come into the house to try and answer his critics, especially the most vocal one in Dana so fair play to him imho, could have run away and kept taking easy paychecks in crappy companies. Don't expect him to win at all but respect him for actually fronting up and giving it a shot. although he probably would have benefit more being on Team Rashad than Team Rampage. Rashad actually seems interested in teaching them how to fight rather than just picking the big dudes.

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
Was a damn good card overall i felt although it sort of petered off towards the end. but there was a lot of action at the start, pretty much striking all the way through the evening.

Efrain got an awesome KO, loved the slam he smashed Miller with right before it as well, Griffin pretty much taught Franca a lesson on how to actually throw a punch, Daley smashed Kampmann up although it may have been a premature stoppage but i thought it was justified, felt sort of like watching a dodgy LBW decision to me. When it was live it looked like he was well out on his feet but in the replays it did look a bit more sketchy. Cro Cop looks well past it, and Franklin/Belfort was a bit of a let down. Over much too quickly and I don't know about this but aren't blows to the back of the head illegal? Looked to me like the damage was done by a hammerfist to the back of the head by belfort. The followup hook looked like it knocked him out but that hammerfist looked like it damaged him, and I thought that sort of thing was illegal.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Nah, don't think it was. Rich admitted it was the big left that only appeared to graze him that put him out. There was a strike to the back of the head, but it came after the initial damage and 2 other strikes when Franklin was down. I don't think it was the hammerfist that ended the fight.

TUF was strange. Rampage seemed more worried about picking the big fellas as opposed to going for skill. The fight he picked was just stupid as well. The wrestler was always going to just take the other guy down. Kimbo will be left to the end of the show to fight though, it's guaranteed. They won't waste ratings by having him fight early and risk seeing Kimbo go out early. I see Team Rashad coming out on top.

4/5 predictions correct On my news blog I predicted that Daley would have an advantage if it stayed standing, but presumed that Kampmann would take Daley down, and would have an advantage there, so went for Kampmann.

Nice to see I was right about Belfort. 1st round KO predicted and that's what Vitor delivered. Just a shame that Cro Cop didn't look like the Cro Cop of old, as I'd hoped. Just looked very tentative and sort of scared to pull the trigger as he was worried about Dos Santos's counter power. He was continually trying to set up the high kick by pushing Dos Santos away, hoping for a mistake, but it just never came.

Real good event though, lived up to what I was hoping for. We might get to see Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort now as well which would be an awesome fight. Dana mentioned Henderson-Marquardt at the post-fight conference, so I can see a Silva-Belfort fight with the winner taking on the winner of Hendo-Nate. The Middleweight division looking real strong atm.

I expect to see Daley-Swick in the near future, or maybe Anthony Johnson could come into the mix as well. At least there are some Welterweight prospects starting to come through. Competition looking good in the UFC.

Majin

International Debutant
Ah right, well I didn't get to see the interview 'cause I was watching it on a stream and it dropped after the fight was over haha. Just the way it looked like, I mean he went down from the hook and then he was still sort of holding himself up, then the hammerfist came and then he got a left hook to the temple which crumpled him so I thought he was still with it up until that point.

Hate so much that 104 isn't until october 24th :(

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeh, I thought he'd get up from that exchange, as I couldn't see any real contact, but Rich said that he got majorly rocked by that first hook and from there was pretty much out. There may have been a hammer-fist to the back of the head, but it's not been brought up by anyone else after the fight.

I know, seems ages away. I'm not too excited for 104 though actually. I'm looking forward to the main event, Machida vs Shogun, see Velasquez-Rothwell being a good fight and I like watching Anthony Johnson, but it's not as strong a card as the last couple I don't think.

duffer

My 103 thoughts from the fights I saw:

Emerson v Dos Anjos

Why is Emerson still in the UFC? I'm not sure what gives Dana White the boner for this guy but he's completely outclassed at this level. Got lucky against Gamburyan and he's earnt himself another few fights. He was picked apart by Dos Anjos and if anything it was a 30-25/6 fight as opposed to a 30-27. He landed one or two shots all night. He's not good enough and is a bit of a prick as we witnessed on TUF5. Bye.

Escudero v Miller

Really happy to see Efrain get a go and it was a quality performance from him. He ****ing Rock Bottomed Miller at one stage there. Wag.

Griffin v Franca

Tyson looked very solid. This guy is a talent, people hating on him because of his record need to look at who he's fought. Has had one of the most brutal introductions to the UFC and is improving nicely. I like him a lot.

Koscheck v Trigg

Hate Koscheck so much. Hate him hate him hate him. Wanted to punch myself in the face watching him win. Hope he gets Hughes like he's demanding and I hope he gets subbed the **** out.

Kampmann v Daley

Was so gutted when I found out Swick wasn't going to make this card but liked the choice of Semtex to replace him. Surprised Kampmann couldn't get him in the clinch but he was overwhelmed by the fury Daley brought. I didn't mind the stoppage, he wasn't looking like fighting back and if the ref had let it go longer he would've been concussed easily. I thought the ref did his job by stopping unecessary injury well there. No dramas from me.

Wonder who they have for the next title shot though. This was meant to be a #1 contenders match but I can't see Daley getting a crack any time soon.

Crocop v Junior

Junior landed some nasty shots early and was very aggresive. Mirko never recovered from there and looked like he was afraid of being put out. Some of the knees he copped were completely brutal. This isn't the monster we saw from Pride. He's done, and dos Santos is a big time up and comer. Wonder with the likes of Big Nog and Anderson Silva is doing wonders for him. Rather impressive fighter now.

Franklin v Belfort

For a guy as cerebral as Rich to push forward as aggresively as he did wanting to trade hands was just asking for trouble. Belfort barely touched him but the guy swings with such velocity and sometimes you can catch someone from a crazy angle and it'll rock you. Looks like that's what happened there and Vitor was like the old Vitor and jumped all over the opening.

Personally wouldn't feed him to Silva just yet. As impressive as his demolition against Forrest was if he didn't want to come forward and go with the likes of Cote then no way he's going to be anything but conservative against a guy as beastly as Belfort. There are quite a few other fights I'd like to see for both guys before they meet.

If Vitor stays hot, then a Machida - Belfort fight would be so so huge for me. Great to have him back.

duffer

Hate so much that 104 isn't until october 24th :(
I know, seems ages away. I'm not too excited for 104 though actually. I'm looking forward to the main event, Machida vs Shogun, see Velasquez-Rothwell being a good fight and I like watching Anthony Johnson, but it's not as strong a card as the last couple I don't think.
I actually like a lot of the guys on the 104 card. Obviously my favourite guy is headlining it but other guys like Bader, Okami, Yoshida, Stevenson and Tibau will keep me very interested. 105 looks disastrous as it stands though. Bisping-Kang and Hardy v Dong-Hyun both on the main card? Ugh. Couture having to waste one of his last fights on a mediocre guy like Vera? Vera headlining a PPV? Gah.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah I saw that. Pretty disappointing if he actually has given it up. I'm hoping he was just venting and will get things sorted with Dana. I wanna see the fight with Rashad!

duffer

Well after reading Page's recent comments I'm sure he'll be back next year. The bits in bold made me lol (love Rampage) but all in all this is nothing compared to the beef Dana had with Tito and now he's back. The fight with Evans will happen, and Rampage will murder him (hopefully). Been waiting to see some black on black crime :happy:

"Make no mistake the UFC treated me a lot better than Pride. If you get hurt in training in a UFC fight then will send you to the best doctors. If you get hurt in a Pride fight most of the time they will tell me "oh you better take care of that!" The UFC will always let you know in a timely matter who you will be fighting & give you enough time to train but with Pride if I knew 4 weeks ahead I would be happy cause most times they just give you a 2 weeks notice. Pride will rip you off on your merchandising but the UFC would find someway to hook you up on merchandising deals. Pride will make fights easier for certain fighters inside the ring (like standing up fights early). With the UFC whatever happens happens. The only thing I see the UFC needs to fix in this area is to get better judges. Ones who know about MMA & not from the boxing world.
The reason why I'm talking about all this is that I feel like this whole situation could have been avoided if UFC would have respected me more & rescheduled the fight about a month or more in my hometown, which I know fights can be rescheduled because of the Matt Hughes & Matt Serra was postponed due to injuries. Instead, Dana went on the internet & started talking bad about my decision. All we had to do was come to a certain type of argreement or understanding, which later came after a lot of trash talk from Dana. My manager flew to Vegas & talked to them & tried to work things out like a MAN. & still I keep quite & I didn't talk trash back on the internet. The only reason why I'm even talking now is because I feel like I owe my fans an explanation because I am a MAN, a real MAN. Yeah I made good money with the UFC more than Pride, but I made both shows more money than they made me. I didn't care too much about Pride treating me like crap cause I was an American in a Japanese company. Now in my own country, I feel like I'm being disrepected. Everything is not about how much money you make. You could be the richest man in the world but if nobody repsects you then it don't mean ****. You can't buy respect. It should be earned. & thats what I'm all about.

Now Rashad wanna put his two cents in. Rashad remains to be a boy under me. He wins a few fights, and some of them I thought the judges fell asleep during the fight & woke up & saw him playing with his nipples & guessed he won. He knocked Chuck Liddel out when Chuck wasn't even the same man anymore. & now he thinks he's on my level. Yeah he talks about how he beat Forrest & I lost. But when I fought Forrest that was the worst Rampage I had ever seen. & I still know in my heart I won that fight. So now he's Mr. All ****y & says I got a big mouth & talk a lot of smack. If my memory serves me correctly, he's the one that got into my face after the Jardine fight & started talking trash when he was the one that was originally supposed to fight me that night, but he told Dana on the phone he didn't want to fight. He wanted to keep his belt longer. Now, I'm not saying wether or not I would have beaten Machida, but I wouldn't have went out like a bitch like the way he did. So I'm the one that was looking forward to the Rashad fight the most. I have always been a fighter my whole life. As a kid my family treated me like **** which made me the person who I am today. This is why when I meet people I treat people the way I want to be treated (unless they approach me wrong or piss me off). I grew up thinking that I wasn't even important to my family which made me not even care about myself. That's why I can get knee-ed in the face 15 times & come back for more. That's why I can get my legs seriously hurt in a fight & still try to win. Thats why I can get my ribs broken in a fight & not tap out because my whole life I never thought I mattered to anybody or anybody cared about me. But now I have kids that love me & care about me & I'm not used to people caring about me but it feels good! I'm a very loyal person. Wolves are the most loyal animals on the planet. I was very loyal to the UFC, but now I owe all my loyalty to my kids... the ones who really care for me. The majority of my fights on the street I fought for free & they all were with emotion. I am a fighter, I will always be a fighter but my professional fights that were fought with emotion, I ended them all in devestating fashion. I am the wrong fighter that should fight pissed off professionally. I don't even consider it fair. So Rashad says he will fight me for free. I will gladly meet him at any gym & fight him just to shut his mouth up. & I mean that for real!

When I told Dana I did not want my belt back & that I just wanted to make money, it was around the time when they gave me Vanderlei & actually it was around the same time when my mind wasn't right (my mind was at TRUCK status) & that's the way I felt because I felt I had been robbed out of my belt. After the Jardine fight I did want my belt back because my family was so proud of me when I was champion & I want to make my family proud cause now I finally feel like my family cares about me & they accept me & this is what I've been wanting my whole childhood... for my family to like me. If I got to beat some ass for my family to like me, so be it. But now, I'm a grown man & I'll be damned if anybody disrespects me. I'm not having it, it's not happening!" -Posted by Rampage Jackson on September 24, 2009 at 12:18pm

King Pietersen

International Captain
He made another blog post last night as well:

"Make no mistake the UFC treated me a lot better than Pride. If you get hurt in training in a UFC fight then will send you to the best doctors. If you get hurt in a Pride fight most of the time they will tell me "oh you better take care of that!" The UFC will always let you know in a timely matter who you will be fighting & give you enough time to train but with Pride if I knew 4 weeks ahead I would be happy cause most times they just give you a 2 weeks notice. Pride will rip you off on your merchandising but the UFC would find someway to hook you up on merchandising deals. Pride will make fights easier for certain fighters inside the ring (like standing up fights early). With the UFC whatever happens happens. The only thing I see the UFC needs to fix in this area is to get better judges. Ones who know about MMA & not from the boxing world.
The reason why I'm talking about all this is that I feel like this whole situation could have been avoided if UFC would have respected me more & rescheduled the fight about a month or more in my hometown, which I know fights can be rescheduled because of the Matt Hughes & Matt Serra was postponed due to injuries. Instead, Dana went on the internet & started talking bad about my decision. All we had to do was come to a certain type of argreement or understanding, which later came after a lot of trash talk from Dana. My manager flew to Vegas & talked to them & tried to work things out like a MAN. & still I keep quite & I didn't talk trash back on the internet. The only reason why I'm even talking now is because I feel like I owe my fans an explanation because I am a MAN, a real MAN. Yeah I made good money with the UFC more than Pride, but I made both shows more money than they made me. I didn't care too much about Pride treating me like crap cause I was an American in a Japanese company. Now in my own country, I feel like I'm being disrepected. Everything is not about how much money you make. You could be the richest man in the world but if nobody repsects you then it don't mean ****. You can't buy respect. It should be earned. & thats what I'm all about.

Now Rashad wanna put his two cents in. Rashad remains to be a boy under me. He wins a few fights, and some of them I thought the judges fell asleep during the fight & woke up & saw him playing with his nipples & guessed he won. He knocked Chuck Liddel out when Chuck wasn't even the same man anymore. & now he thinks he's on my level. Yeah he talks about how he beat Forrest & I lost. But when I fought Forrest that was the worst Rampage I had ever seen. & I still know in my heart I won that fight. So now he's Mr. All ****y & says I got a big mouth & talk a lot of smack. If my memory serves me correctly, he's the one that got into my face after the Jardine fight & started talking trash when he was the one that was originally supposed to fight me that night, but he told Dana on the phone he didn't want to fight. He wanted to keep his belt longer. Now, I'm not saying wether or not I would have beaten Machida, but I wouldn't have went out like a bitch like the way he did. So I'm the one that was looking forward to the Rashad fight the most. I have always been a fighter my whole life. As a kid my family treated me like **** which made me the person who I am today. This is why when I meet people I treat people the way I want to be treated (unless they approach me wrong or piss me off). I grew up thinking that I wasn't even important to my family which made me not even care about myself. That's why I can get knee-ed in the face 15 times & come back for more. That's why I can get my legs seriously hurt in a fight & still try to win. Thats why I can get my ribs broken in a fight & not tap out because my whole life I never thought I mattered to anybody or anybody cared about me. But now I have kids that love me & care about me & I'm not used to people caring about me but it feels good! I'm a very loyal person. Wolves are the most loyal animals on the planet. I was very loyal to the UFC, but now I owe all my loyalty to my kids... the ones who really care for me. The majority of my fights on the street I fought for free & they all were with emotion. I am a fighter, I will always be a fighter but my professional fights that were fought with emotion, I ended them all in devestating fashion. I am the wrong fighter that should fight pissed off professionally. I don't even consider it fair. So Rashad says he will fight me for free. I will gladly meet him at any gym & fight him just to shut his mouth up. & I mean that for real!

When I told Dana I did not want my belt back & that I just wanted to make money, it was around the time when they gave me Vanderlei & actually it was around the same time when my mind wasn't right (my mind was at TRUCK status) & that's the way I felt because I felt I had been robbed out of my belt. After the Jardine fight I did want my belt back because my family was so proud of me when I was champion & I want to make my family proud cause now I finally feel like my family cares about me & they accept me & this is what I've been wanting my whole childhood... for my family to like me. If I got to beat some ass for my family to like me, so be it. But now, I'm a grown man & I'll be damned if anybody disrespects me. I'm not having it, it's not happening!"
I also see him coming back once he's done playing Mr T, but it'd be a massive shame if we don't get to see Rampage vs Rashad. Rampage is definitely one of my favourite fighters, and listening to him and Rashad going at it, insulting eachother at the start of the TUF: Heavyweights series just made me want to see the fight even more. Hopefully Dana'll sort this out.

duffer

Count me as a Kimbo fan. Just seems like a for real guy trying to make bread for his kids. Roy Nelson seems like a proper douche though.

Thought the fight was terrible, by the letter of the law the stoppage was fine but if I had to record the result it would have been something like Nelson d. Slice TKO (woman slaps). Just ridiculous how little damage he was doing but Nelson is a seasoned pro and played it right. Still hate him so much though

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah really agree, the way he acted after the fight was hilarious as well, like he was Mike Tyson in his prime or something. What a failure at life.

Kimbo is the dude, next episode preview looked promising.

duffer

Herb Dean was the guy. Dana let loose on Nelson though. Can't stand the ****face. Rashad is pissing me off too. Acting like he's some super coach when Greg Jackson is probably telling him what to do at every step of the way.

Page better get on the board quick though. This is getting embaressing.

duffer

Wow, as much as I was gunning for Lyoto I didn't see that decision coming. This is one where I watch again without listening to that douchebag Goldberg highlighting every thing Rua did well as some sort of evidence he's dominating. Thought it was a close fight which probably should have gone the other way.

Credit to Shogun who's gameplan and excecution was superb. First fighter to want to attack Machida and kill his mobility and he did it well. Was a very very good Main Event.

The rest of the card wasn't great tbh. Velasquez put up his best performance ever and it highlighted how beastly Cheick was in staying with him for 5 rounds. A very interesting road ahead for this guy.

Rumble coming in that far overweight is disgraceful imo. You're a ****ing welterweight you have to weigh 171 pounds come fight time. Having a judoka come up against a striker who should probably be a LHW was a joke, just a setup to have him ktfo of someone. Really hope Yoshida doesn't get cut from the UFC over this.

Tibau-Neer was decent and tactically very watchable but excitement wise nothing special.

Who the **** keeps putting Stevenson on these main cards? Meh. Had enough of him, he's no stiff but he's never going to be a contender again unless the depth in the division plummets.

All in all a passable card. Lots of decent fights but very low on the excitement scale, although the ME was intriguing and controversial. Again, will need to watch it on mute to decide if I agree with the scoring. At this point I don't.

Majin

International Debutant
Completely gutted personally, Love both Lyoto and Shogun but I was pulling for Shogun in that one and I felt he'd done it. Really did believe he'd win the fight and I am pretty shocked it was a unanimous decision against him. Rematch better happen soon, Shogun shoved all the crap talked about him being done and being past it down everyones throats, can't hardly see anyone else in the UFC pushing Lyoto that badly. Normally not a fan of boo boys in MMA but I was defintely protesting the decision myself. But that's the way it goes and like they say you do have to beat the champ and it was a very close fight but man, I really did think Shogun had done enough to do it. Well yeah, here's hoping for a rematch. I just hope that if they DO rematch this fight doesn't play too much on Shoguns mind and he ends up going out too aggressive and getting KO'd because that would suck.

Yeah wasn't expecting Rothwell to get dominated that hard, good stuff from Velasquez and will be interesting to see who he goes up against next.

Completely agree with you about the Johnson fight, I was pretty disgusted by the whole thing should never have been allowed to happen. Looked like a Middleweight fighting a Lightweight and the size difference was completely ridiculous.

Enjoyed Tibau-Neer for the repeated slams but yeah that was about it.

And yes haha I hate Joe Stevenson so much, worst person. Wish they'd keep the Mic as far away from him as possible.

Undercard was great fun though, Pat Barry vs Hardonk was sick as hell, can't believe Hardonk didn't die from that god damn throat punch he got, what a beast. The finish was awesome, Barrys hooks to him when he was on the floor were so hard it was awesome. Jan Koller lookalike Stefan Struve got a real nice triangle choke victory which was fun to see and then Bader vs Schafer was a fun fight, had a bit of everything from german suplexes to big shots. Petered out a bit at the end but yeah was a good fight. Enjoyed the PPV altogether up until the end really.

Will be interested to see what you make of the main event in mute Duff, don't think i can handle it personally watching that fight again will be too depressing :(