• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

indiaholic

International Captain
Which is true.. And I agree.. But I like belts and rankings and stuff.. I have always felt that if you build up the sport more than the sportsmen, you are going to get a deeper fan following. You are likely to end up with a base who won't quit watching the sport because their favourite guy retired. So while I understand the value that Conor and Ronda bring wrt getting in new fans, they would still get in the fans if the match was say Conor Aldo or Conor Edgar. Both of which make more sense to me.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I'd prefer it too if UFC fights were sold more as being a legit sport between deserving athletes who earned their spot on the card vs WWE style feuds, grudge matches and popularity shows...but such is life.

King Pietersen

International Captain
It's a sad day TBH mate

Has to be to do with the incident in Ireland that led to the death of a young Brazilian fighter. Conor was at that fight and a week later has decided to retire. ****ing sucks though, was really looking forward to UFC 200. Wouldn't surprise me if he swerved on it and ended up fighting, thats what I'm clutching at, but I guess time will tell. We'll get a good idea of what's going on on Friday at the Press Conference.

indiaholic

International Captain
Happy for the guy if he has enough money to get out at 27. Will have a better post retirement life if he can minimize the number of fights in his career.

King Pietersen

International Captain
am just trying to do my job and fight here.
I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.
Nothing else was going through my mind.
It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a **** morning show did not get me this life.
Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a **** about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I'm coming for my revenge here.
I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.
With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.
I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied.
There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
And all with one tweet.
Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
I must isolate myself now.
I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.
I can not dance for you this time.
It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.
Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
He came in with no **** to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
I'm doing what I need for me now.
It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.
I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.
I am still ready to go for UFC 200.
I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.
For the record also -
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
I AM NOT RETIRED.
Conor is not retired, just sick of endless promotion. Still wants to fight at UFC 200.

cnerd123

likes this
Mighty Mouse number 1 p4p?

Probably should move up to Bantam weight at this point.

Jon Jones looked decent against OSP, i think he'd beat Cormier if they're fighting at 200.

indiaholic

International Captain
Mighty Mouse number 1 p4p?

Probably should move up to Bantam weight at this point.

Jon Jones looked decent against OSP, i think he'd beat Cormier if they're fighting at 200.
MM is probably no.1 p4p.. Any reports on Cormier's injury? Will he be back for 200?

cnerd123

likes this
MM is probably no.1 p4p.. Any reports on Cormier's injury? Will he be back for 200?
Dana, Jones and apparently DC himself during 197 comms have all hinted at it.

Don't think he stands a chance tbh. Jones is just built so perfectly and has such a great skill set for point-fighting. I think Cormier will need to finish him somehow.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I can't wait until Dana fights McGregor at UFC 205 and smacks him over the head with a steel chair.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cant believe that the majority of fighters get paid something like 30k (and less) per bout

**** that
The boxing fans I know piss themselves laughing about this. They still see MMA as the minor league and boxing as the majors.