• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

cnerd123

likes this
Okay so I've rewatched that first round.

Nothing McG landed had KO power. May have looked brutal, but really those were standard punches you expect guys in the UFC to take. However, Diaz didn't get gassed despite eating those shots. That probably took McG by surprise. Diaz's have very tough chins.

I can see why someone would think McG was dominating - he unleashed a few spinning kicks, was on top of Diaz going into the end of the round, and had Diaz bleeding. But really it was even exchanges. The Diazs bleed easily. Most of McG's big swipes and kicks just found air. Diaz tagged McG a couple of time and had good success through the round with his jabs. He landed a few slaps as well. And he took McG down, although McG managed to wrestle the advantage to be on top. While on his back he was able to keep McG at bay for a good 30 seconds or so, only taking a couple of shots in the process while tagging McG with a few of his own.

Watching it, that tells me that McG was trying hard to finish the fight with a big KO in that first round, while Diaz was just looking to see him off. McG being the aggressor != McG dominating, although yes I give him that round.

That's probably what McG means when he says that Diaz was more efficient. Diaz waited till he found an opening for his big left hand, and just bobbed and weaved and jabbed till he did. Classical boxing. McG was going for that big shot from the start of the fight, and was probably tiring by the point Diaz tagged him on the chin, and by then it was too late.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. You still ignore the fact that he had 5KG more on his frame than he would have anticipated for a fight at 155
2. You still ignore the fact that he landed double the significant strikes while they were standing than Diaz did in the entire fight
3. You still ignore the fact that almost any other fighter tasting those shots would have been on queer street.
4. You still think Diaz is some sort of boxing genius when realistically he gets outboxed frequently and just has superb endurance and durability, meaning if you can't put him away or at least keep your pace up, he takes you deep and drowns you when you're out of energy. In McGregors case, it only took a round and a half.
5. You still ignore that while Diaz was damaging Conor on his feet, it wasn't until it went to ground that Conor got sliced open and put away, yes, Diaz did hurt Conor on his feet and kept him hurt for a minute before it went to the ground but that was more to do with exhaustion than skill.
6. You somehow think that Diaz wasn't a master on the ground, being able to quickly transition, land from the mounted position and force Conor to give his back, before flattening him out quickly and locking in the chin because you're too busy trying to justify that you think Diaz is a great skillful boxer, rather than being superb at taking shots and firing back, rather than being a genius level Ju Jitsu fighter who would have way more success should he focus on his Ju Jitsu

I'm done, I'd rather talk about it in a fight forum where people are being realistic about the fight.
Jord

McGregor entered the octagon weighing precisely 5 pounds more than he did against Aldo (168 vs 163),had a full camp carrying that weight and wasn't ****ed from having to starve himself

What's more, he was fighting against a guy that was lying on a beach in Cabo smoking weed 2 weeks ago and who didn't spar a round in preparation

I'd say that makes them about even

I think a far more likely explanation than the weight for his performance is that he wasted a heap of energy loading up on every shot in the hope of an early ko.

When that didn't come, anxiety increased his rate of depletion and it spiked out of control when he was hit in the head HARD

BTW, I never said that Diaz was a boxing genius or denied that he was an expert in ju jitsu

I said that Conor paid the ultimate penalty for totally ignoring his defence

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Connor was definitely dominating the first 2 minutes of Round 2 though. Landed some solid hits and Nate wasn't really able to launch an offence under that pressure, plus the blood was getting into his eye.

Tough chin, experience, and good defence. He was keeping his chin down, put his hands up, rolled with the punches, and clinched whenever Connor got close enough for the uppercuts. He either kept his distance, or brought himself in very close. Never stood right in front of McG and let himself get picked off. Connor was definitely dominating, but Nate was doing enough to stay in there.

After about 2 minutes the exchanges got more even. Connor kept getting tagged with light hits, but kept his hands down. I think Diaz sensed this, and upped his aggression. Tried the lunging left hand a couple of times, and then nailed one, and it was game over. Connor was rocked, Connor didn't know how to defend himself in face of an assault, Diaz just picked him apart.

And this was against no-camp Diaz. Wouldn't back Connor in a pure boxing match between the two. But he does stand a decent chance were they to fight again in the future. He needed to utilise his kicks more, and be a bit more patient. I think Connor could definitely beat Diaz by decision if he takes the fight to 5 rounds instead of hunting for a quick KO.

social

Yea Connor was definitely dominating the first 2 minutes of Round 2 though. Landed some solid hits and Nate wasn't really able to launch an offence under that pressure, plus the blood was getting into his eye.

Tough chin, experience, and good defence. He was keeping his chin down, put his hands up, rolled with the punches, and clinched whenever Connor got close enough for the uppercuts. He either kept his distance, or brought himself in very close. Never stood right in front of McG and let himself get picked off. Connor was definitely dominating, but Nate was doing enough to stay in there.

After about 2 minutes the exchanges got more even. Connor kept getting tagged with light hits, but kept his hands down. I think Diaz sensed this, and upped his aggression. Tried the lunging left hand a couple of times, and then nailed one, and it was game over. Connor was rocked, Connor didn't know how to defend himself in face of an assault, Diaz just picked him apart.

And this was against no-camp Diaz. Wouldn't back Connor in a pure boxing match between the two. But he does stand a decent chance were they to fight again in the future. He needed to utilise his kicks more, and be a bit more patient. I think Connor could definitely beat Diaz by decision if he takes the fight to 5 rounds instead of hunting for a quick KO.
McGregor's ability to grind out a tough 5 round decision against an endurance athlete like Diaz must be in question when you consider that he has only fought 3 rounds once in his entire career

cnerd123

likes this
McGregor's ability to grind out a tough 5 round decision against an endurance athlete like Diaz must be in question when you consider that he has only fought 3 rounds once in his entire career
Yup. It's a massive 'if'. But if you want to beat a Diaz, doing so by decision is the way to go.

indiaholic

International Captain
Good point about not confusing aggression with dominance. Half of the whining on forums about scoring can be traced back to this.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I watched a replay of the fight having known the result and heard that Conor gassed himself going for the finish. It didn't look to me like that's what had happened though. It really looked to me like he just got tagged and never recovered. He's not actually fighting at an incredible pace before then, and there's no sign of him slowing down until the exact moment he took that shot.

Although tbf Conor himself says he gassed, so maybe he did. Probably some combination.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Outside of his BJJ, I'll also give Diaz credit for having the best ever one liner in a post fight commentary session. "I ain't surprised motherf......."

duffer

They've danced before though which is my only objection to it but it makes sense and could be a lot of money I guess.

cnerd123

likes this
I hope Nate brings his A-game vs RDA. Would be fantastic for him to earn a title.

Also sets up what McG and Dana probably want now - McG rackuing p a defence or two at 145 (Frankie and Aldo I suspect) before challenging Nate for the 155 belt. Would be mint.

Thinking McG should defend against Frankie first. That way, if he loses, the the McG vs. Aldo grudge match is still an appealing option.

cnerd123

likes this
McG vs Diaz 2

Thoughts?

Also looks like DC vs Jones will be pushed back to UFC200, assuming Jones can stay out of jail till then (and that he doesnt pick up any injuries against Preux)

Also I'm pretty excited for Mighty Mouse vs Cejudo.

indiaholic

International Captain
Will watch because it is fun. Find it stupid that they have an interim belt going when the champ is fit and fighting. Worried that if individuals gain so much power, we will get a situation like boxing where the best can comfortably avoid the best for long stretches of time.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea; UFC is basically about making money. If a fight sells and the fighters are willing, they'll make it; I dont think they care about integrity of the sport (integrity not the right word, but I cant find the right word to describe what I mean and that kinda fits and I think you'll get what Im talking about).

Given the sport is basically two men/women beating each other senseless in a cage, I really dont mind. Give me two skilled fighters who look tough and strong and who seem to have a legit desire to tear each other apart and I'll watch that belt or no belt.