• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What is he teaching though? It just seems weird. Seems like some solid stuff like ring work and some mobility dirills with random dancing? Feels a bit cultish..
that's exactly what it is. Like scientology, he's figured out how to legally run a pyramid scheme.

cnerd123

likes this
Heh I like his philosophy of movement, and how he and Connor are bringing in elements of gymnastics, acrobatics, parkour and dance into MMA. It seems a perfect fit; MMA relies on complete understanding and control of one's movements and that's what Ido Portal preaches.

Idk anything else about his business and his cult and pyramid scheme. I just appreciate the philosophy. I hope more MMA fighters embrace it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's not exactly an original idea, and I'm not sure how he's managed to convince the world that he's some kind of messiah. I mean, the whole point of MMA is "Mixed Martial Arts". There's been capoeira and gymnastic influences since day one. Very few of the best fighters didn't embrace a well-rounded training regime.

McCregor is a good fighter. I doubt that has much to do with Ido Portal.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Surprisingly very few fighters have embraced overall movement the way these two have. A lot of them have very drilled, repetitive, predictable patterns and fixed skillsets. The best do show good fight IQ inside the cage, and guys like Anderson Silva are amazing movers, but Connor's style and philosophy is pretty unique from what I've seen so far.

Although yes not really Ido's doing. Connor's been a good mover and dynamic striker who refuses to stick to partterns since day one. They both make a good team tho. I kinda want Connor to dominate the UFC just so that more fighters adopt this way of thinking.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
The CNBC interview was better lol.

Man I'm so worried McGregor is going to wreck Diaz. Nate will probably try to outbox him, use his reach, but McGregor is too smart to be lured in by Diaz's usual tactics. He'll stay calm, stay back, and kick Diaz's front leg out from under him. He'll wait for Nate to make the first move and catch him on the counter a few times. And then when Nate is struggling to stand, he'll go in for the kill with the head kicks and straight left. The fight probably won't go the mat until McGregor knocks Diaz down, and by then it might be too late. Diaz to lose by TKO in brutal fashion in 2nd round is my call.

I hope I'm wrong tho.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and he looked dead to the world for like two minutes before he actually lost