• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

ezravine

Cricket Spectator
I'm sure many are expecting Conor to beat up Aldo, but it feels like it is going to be a decision in favor of Aldo hahaha!

King Pietersen

International Captain

Conor's KO'ing Aldo. Just like he KO'd Mendes. Get your excuses ready Aldo fans, Conor is coming to take his belt. That's if Jose turns up.

cnerd123

likes this
Aldo is unbeaten for 10 years isn't he? His one an only loss came on November 26th 2005.

Wouldn't be so sure about Conor's chances of winning here.

King Pietersen

International Captain
UFC will be praying for a McGregor win now. Rousey and VanZant have now lost in the last few weeks and if Conor loses to Aldo (which I'm praying he won't) then the UFC will not be happy. At least the new lad they're grooming to be the poster boy Sage Northcutt won, although that could come crumbling down if the steroid allegations are proven.

If you get chance - give this UFC 194 breakdown a watch. Dan Hardy breaks down the fight with John Gooden and it's fantastic. Dan picks up so many nuances of the game and little things that the guys do that I never realised. Fantastic stuff.

:wub: Dan Hardy.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So hyped for the next two cards. I've got Frankie, Weidman and Jose for the big three.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Mendes, Weidman and Conor for me.

Frankie gets hit, and if Mendes hits him he'll go down. I reckon Mendes will win by guillotine after rocking Frankie and sending him to the mat.

Weidman's going to win by domination and via not being a massive douche.

Conor's got the tools to take out Jose. If he can avoid the initial flurry from Jose he'll win. I think Jose's going to come in tense, and hyped to try and knock Conor out. Conor is in his head and will be the cool, calm collected man in the octagon. Jose's gas-tank will eventually give up on him and Conor will catch him with the big left. Conor's finishing Jose inside 3 rounds - then he's going for RDA/Cerrone.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Conor's got the tools to take out Jose. If he can avoid the initial flurry from Jose he'll win. I think Jose's going to come in tense, and hyped to try and knock Conor out. Conor is in his head and will be the cool, calm collected man in the octagon. Jose's gas-tank will eventually give up on him and Conor will catch him with the big left. Conor's finishing Jose inside 3 rounds - then he's going for RDA/Cerrone.
Interesting analysis considering Aldo is by far the more experienced and mature fighter. And I don't think he's ever gassed himself looking for a KO before? TBH I'm struggling to think of any fighter who would be less likely to do that.

I can see him trying to out-kickbox McGregor though, which would make McGregor the favourite. Really he should just be looking to lie on McGregor for 5 rounds, it's not his natural game but his wrestling is easily good enough to pull it off. Plus an Aldo lay+pray decision would be pretty funny given the hype.

King Pietersen

International Captain
He has gassed in fights though, especially when he's pressured with strikes (Hominck). Conor has the sort of pressure that is completely different to anyone else. Chad gassed so quickly, and it wasn't just because he took the fight on 2 weeks notice. Conor is going to hit him with brutal body kicks and put the sort of pressure on that Jose isn't used to. Also no-one has ever attacked him verbally or tried to get in his head like Conor. I see Jose being tense and swinging for the fences trying to knock Conor's head off. The combination of those two things could mean we see Jose gassing, and if he gasses, Conor will be ruthless.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. If Mendes couldn't lay-and-pray Conor, Jose's not going to be able to. Jose's either going to win by KO or Submission if he does win. I can't see either happening though. Conor has the blueprint and the style to beat Jose. He's bigger, stronger, doesn't have a speed disadvantage, has superb movement, an iron chin and KO power.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Mendes being gassed had a lot to do with the 2 weeks notice. It's the most likely explanation by far.

In any case, Conor definitely didn't come out of that fight with his ground game reputation enhanced. Mendes didn't try to lay+pray, maybe he should have. He only got knocked out after giving up position to try a submission when he'd been doing some serious damage with the ground+pound.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Conor was doing as much damage from the bottom with the elbows.

Jeez Frankie looked ****ing good last night. To blitz someone like Mendes that quickly is so impressive. Has to be next for the Aldo-McGregor winner. Tony Ferguson looked spectacular too.

Niall

International Coach
went to get my phone from the other room and missed the "fight"

Well done Mc Gregor though.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's not forget how good Rockholt was as well. Domination over a dominant champion.