• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The actual draw is really disappointing because you have arguably the top four on one side of the draw. I assume the reasoning for that is that they don't want undeserving fighters having a shot at the title (presuming Overeem puts it on the line) so at the very least if someone like Arlovski or Barnett makes the final they'll have done it on the back of a couple of wins. In that sense it makes sense.

Honestly don't know what to make of Fedor these days. He's undersized compared to who he'll be fighting and wasn't even that great when he fought Rogers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bigfoot beat him, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I saw Overeem's fight with Liddell in Pride yesterday on ESPN. Man he has ****ing filled out since then.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The actual draw is really disappointing because you have arguably the top four on one side of the draw. I assume the reasoning for that is that they don't want undeserving fighters having a shot at the title (presuming Overeem puts it on the line) so at the very least if someone like Arlovski or Barnett makes the final they'll have done it on the back of a couple of wins. In that sense it makes sense.

Honestly don't know what to make of Fedor these days. He's undersized compared to who he'll be fighting and wasn't even that great when he fought Rogers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bigfoot beat him, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I saw Overeem's fight with Liddell in Pride yesterday on ESPN. Man he has ****ing filled out since then.
The draw is stupid. I really enjoy Strikeforce a lot but this makes no sense.

It has to be set up for an Overeem - Fedor final or a Werdum - Fedor rematch final both for the title.

One semi should look to be the long awaited Fedor - Barnett fight and the other Werdum - Overeem.

To knock one of the top 5 heavies in the World out in the 1st round makes no sense.

Coker has managed to screw up possibly the biggest MMA event. I am still excited though. It seems that they are a little scared and stacked one side to ensure that at least one big name makes the final.

Still looks amazing but could have been better

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Overeem will smash Fedor. Yeah, I said it! And I'll stand by it. No one is stopping Ubereem.
Im sure you already know but since his fulltime move to heavyweight and morphing into Ubereem, Overeem has lost only once. That was to Kharitonov who just happens to be in this event. Awesomeness! Great fights everywhere.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems that they are a little scared and stacked one side to ensure that at least one big name makes the final.
If that's the reason for it then it is totally illogical. ****, if someone like Rogers or Arlovski shot into the final with wins over Fedor and Werdum even Helen Keller could market that as something big. Overeem holding the Heavyweight title makes it a fairly difficult situation for Strikeforce because they probably don't want to be giving Kharitonov, Rogers or Arlovski shots at the title and they probably don't want Overeem to have to win three fights just to retain it. Had it been vacant, I'm certain we'd see a different draw completely.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Strikeforce have shot themselves in the foot so many times by setting fights up with a presumed outcome, and then marketing the fight based on that presumed outcome. Henderson vs Shields the perfect example. Strikeforce want to see the big fights, and there's a much better chance of seeing Overeem vs Werdum and Overeem vs Fedor if they're on the same side of the tournament. Having Barnett, Arlovski, Rogers and Kharitonov on the other side of the draw then allows them to build up another top contender. I don't really think of it as a tournament, just a way Strikeforce has decided to group match-ups they wanted to do, which then should allow them to put on the big fights whilst building up another contender. I completely agree with the way Strikeforce have organised the tournament.

Jacknife

International Captain

Strikeforce have announced an 8 man HW GP. Really exciting stuff that potentially sets up some fantastic fights. Fedor vs Reem should happen as a Semi Final, and I expect to see Arlovski vs Barnett (if he gets licensed) in the 2nd Semi. It's not as strong a division as some of the massive SF fans claim, but man this tournament is an exciting prospect. Reem will more than likely be favourite, but I'm going to back the 'upset' if you can call it that, and call a Fedor vs Barnett final, though I'll be backing the UK's best HW, Alistair Overeem. :ph34r:
Personally would love to see a Fedor v Barnett final and was gutted it didn't happen a couple of years ago, but I could see Fedor really bouncing back and making a statement. IMO Overreem will be shown up in this, yes, the guys got big and has good stand up but when was the last time he fought a guy even in the top 30, he's built up his name fighting bums, the last top guy he fought apart from the NC against Cro Cop was Sergei Kharitonov and was beaten.You say it's not as strong as some SF fans claim, but imo it's better than what the UFC could put on.They'd probably have Velasquez, Lesnar, Carwin ,Dos Santos, Mir, Big Nog, and maybe Nelson. I know which I'd rather watch.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was excited for 126 more than usual. Compared to most UFC cards it combined relevance, names and depth. After watching it I am a little underwhelmed but that may just be because the guys I wanted to win didnt fair well.

Jones dominated Bader but it wasnt really thrill a min
Silva had the sick front kick to KO Belfort but the fight had hardly any rhythm
Forrest deserved the win over Franklin but it was a relatively turgid affair.

Given the effort made by Joe Silva in matchmaking, Im sure he was hoping that one of these could turn into a Fight of The Year candidate. Wasnt to be but it was still a good and relevant card. IMO, one of the better UFC cards post 100.

Majin

International Debutant
Well that was an incredible card. Said to my friend right before the main event that I had a good feeling for Silva, that he might pull off something special and shock the world but no way in hell did I predict that. Fedor got his ass kicked badly. His face after the fight was disgusting, so bad. Still stoked for Silva, he is a great fighter.

Way more gutted for Arlovski than Fedor, got totally killed just like Chuck Lidell, looked awesome and then just got absolutely wasted. 4th loss in a row, he must be done now. Terrible way for such an awesome fighter to go out.

Overall though fantastic card to watch, very enjoyable. Can't wait for April now!

Jacknife

International Captain
Very sad day for MMA and me personally if Fedor retires, I've been a fan, since he took Heath Herring apart in Pride. He just looked slower than normal and I've hardly ever seen him mounted, then again all his inactivity these last 2 years had done him no favors, especially at his age and after that many fights. No, he's lost that edge he had, that enabled him to fight the bigger guys and beat them at their own game. He's been at the top for a decade and we will probably never see that again.

chalky

International Debutant
Was gutted to see Fedor lose was really sad seeing him beat up so bad. Fedor looked a bit lost in the cage it seemed his only weapon was the big overhand right but he struggled to get inside Big foot's reach and when he did Big Foot just mauled him against the cage. Once Silva got Fedor on the floor with that size advantage (probably outweighed him by over 60 pounds) and some decent skills it was one way traffic.

Anyway hope Fedor calls it quits whether the game has moved on or Fedor has declined he shouldn't be beaten by the likes of Werdum & Big Foot. IMO still the greatest and most complete MMA fighter of all time and there was always something a bit special about this bald, chubby little Russian being the baddest man on the planet.

chalky

International Debutant
Way more gutted for Arlovski than Fedor, got totally killed just like Chuck Lidell, looked awesome and then just got absolutely wasted. 4th loss in a row, he must be done now. Terrible way for such an awesome fighter to go out.

Overall though fantastic card to watch, very enjoyable. Can't wait for April now!
Arlovski has never been the same since the Fedor fight IMO. Definately needs to call it quits as Frank Shamrock said you can't have your brain keep getting turned off like that, it's not just that he has been losing but getting knocked cold each time.

Jacknife

International Captain
Was gutted to see Fedor lose was really sad seeing him beat up so bad. Fedor looked a bit lost in the cage it seemed his only weapon was the big overhand right but he struggled to get inside Big foot's reach and when he did Big Foot just mauled him against the cage. Once Silva got Fedor on the floor with that size advantage (probably outweighed him by over 60 pounds) and some decent skills it was one way traffic.

Anyway hope Fedor calls it quits whether the game has moved on or Fedor has declined he shouldn't be beaten by the likes of Werdum & Big Foot. IMO still the greatest and most complete MMA fighter of all time and there was always something a bit special about this bald, chubby little Russian being the baddest man on the planet.
Agree and he will always be 'the baddest man on the planet' as far as I'm concerned. He's the guy that made me love MMA and take it up, and even go over to watch him fight Nog on New Year 2004, which is the best thing I've ever been to.
I don't know whether the fights have caught up with him, or the training methods he uses when he trains with his small team in Stary Oskal, needs updating, or the lack of activity this last 18 months, has made him very rusty because that's what he certainly looked like or a bit of everything .A couple of year ago, he wouldn't of ever been mounted and not been able to escape or attacked off his back. Like you IMO Fedor is the greatest and most well rounded MMA fighters there has been.

chalky

International Debutant
UFC buys Strikeforce didn't see that one coming.

Zuffa Purchases Strikeforce -- MMA Fighting

Dana White following the Vince McMahon guide to dominating an industry.

Reckon guys like Daley & Barnett who haven't been very complimentary about Dane White will be bricking it a bit.

With Dream/K1 in the brown smelly stuff looks like it's UFC or nowt for MMA fans.

Majin

International Debutant
I actually like, I don't even know how to word it, because "screamed" sounds so less manly than it was, but my face and reaction when Kongo wasted Barry, I yelled out so loud, geniune shock. I couldn't even see myself but I could tell the face I was making was hilarious. That was seriously one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen in my life. I thought I'd never see a better combat sport comeback than Diego Corrales against Juan Luis Castillo but that was ****ing incredible.

Gotta feel for Barry though, his face at the decision announcement was heartbreaking, love HD.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually like, I don't even know how to word it, because "screamed" sounds so less manly than it was, but my face and reaction when Kongo wasted Barry, I yelled out so loud, geniune shock. I couldn't even see myself but I could tell the face I was making was hilarious. That was seriously one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen in my life. I thought I'd never see a better combat sport comeback than Diego Corrales against Juan Luis Castillo but that was ****ing incredible.

Gotta feel for Barry though, his face at the decision announcement was heartbreaking, love HD.
:laugh: I know the feeling. For one of the first times in my life, I jumped out of my chair and shouted "holy ****". Was amazing. Up there with the Sell-Smith KO for sure.

Majin

International Debutant
Would maybe rank it above Sell/Smith, just because Kongo looked like he was legitimately dead twice, the way he flopped about and fell I thought "he's done" both times he got dropped, then just to totally learn Barry like that, man. Unreal.

Also seen some mixed reactions to the Miragliotta's performance in that fight, but for mine it was a brilliant spot of reffing, while I wouldn't have had any issue with him calling the fight either time Kongo dropped and was being pounded on, the fact that he got up and sparked Barry out says big Dan made the right call for me. Kind of a Catch-22 situation for him as well, because if he'd stopped the fight as Kongo was popping up to attempt the takedown like he did, he would have caught **** for an early stoppage anyway. fact is for mine Kongo looked done but survived, Barry was obviously completely out of it. Seriously though, awesome fight all round.

Also was I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching Rick Story's hype train get wrestle****ed into oblivion? Hilarious I thought.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miragliotta is one of the best referees going around for mine. Obviously saw Kongo was still defending himself, but yeah, you wouldn't have complained with a stoppage when he was getting pounded on.

Bit of a shame because I like Story, but it was always a no-win fight for him.

Jacknife

International Captain
When Kongo got hit by Barry, it wasn't a clean punch, he caught him with the wrist/forearm, round the temple and side of the head, that's why he looked so messed up but wasn't clean out. When you get hit in the temple, it totally knocks off your equilibrium and makes you feel drunk.
Amazing comeback though and that uppercut, that caught him so flush, was beautiful and Barry looked dead for about 20 seconds, all folded up with his eyes open.

Also was I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching Rick Story's hype train get wrestle****ed into oblivion? Hilarious I thought.
Yes loved it, Story is nothing more than a average MMA fighter, with one skill set, wrestling and this dude came in from nowhere and out wrestled him and out worked him. Story didn't have a clue, once he was put on his back, like a lot of other wrestlers don't. He didn't even know how to sweep and struggled to get back to his feet or use any submissions, apart from a half arsed kimura,