Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The MMA/UFC Thread

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Holy ****. Hooooooly ****. That was one of the best nights of fights I've seen in a long time. Crazy good fun to watch!

Gotta start with Brock, man, so much respect for him right now, I thought he was dead and buried, you could see straight away from the first punch that he did not like Carwins power at all. And the relentless ground and pound, for like 4 minutes of the first round, just to survive that alone is insane. The choke out victory was hilariously awesome as well.

Sexyama/Leben was an awesome fight, but like I thought Sexyama paid the price for standing in front of Leben and exchanging with him, came off worse and gassed because of it. I really wanted him to win that fight, but how can you not love Leben? two weeks after taking out highly rated Aaron Simpson, he steps up to take on and take out Akiyama? with a TRIANGLE CHOKE? And those double punches he was doing to his head, my god I was dying. In raptures. And then he called out Wanderlei. The whole fight was awesome as well, just two guys absolutely refusing to go down. Beautiful.

Lytle vs Brown was good as well, lots of mixed action on the feet and on the floor, and we got to see some nice stuff from Lytle, the whole triangle mount/armbar combination was really cool to see.

Polish Experiment vs Bonnar was a crazy fight as well, Bonnar is a god damn madman who is going to have brain damage in about 5 years if he keeps going on the way he is, but again it was just two guys throwing everything they had and leaving it all in the cage, back and forth action. Sweet as hell.

Finally, was stoked again for George Sotiropoulos, another great performance from him, showing off his classy BJJ skills. I just wish, wish, wish he had power in his hands, he's so damn featherfisted. If he had the power he'd be an absolute monster. Still, love him and his style and it was great to watch.

God I'm so hyped now. That was AWESOME.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Stayed up all night for this- so, so worth it. Small parties for late night sporting events seriously float my boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Friend is down here and we're gonna drink and play games so I can't be arsed to fully go into last nights UFC on versus, but I do feel the need to say **** Tyson "I'm a sore loser bitch" Griffin and war ****ing Gomi, what a legendary badman, completely wasted Tyson and it was glorious. Such a filthy KO, landed right on his bitch face, it was beautiful. Love the Fireball Kid.

Jones-Matyushenko was a great card, especially for a free one. Really looking forward to Nelson-JDS and Fitch-Alves this weekend though. Sonnen-Silva has a lot of letdown potential for me. Only thing keeping me interested in it is seeing whether Chael has the balls to try and get inside and take Silva down. Anderson's knees and clinch game are scary and if Sonnen gets caught by either he's going to get smashed.

Penn-Edgar 2 is the card I'm really really looking forward to though.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Cannot wait for the card this weekend. So pumped for every fight on the main card. Might as well post a few predictions:

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen - I'd love to see Sonnen take Anderson down and smash him for 5 rounds, just to see how arrogant Chael'd be after the fight and what he'd say after the fight. I don't see that happening though. Anderson looks very angry, and if he's fired up he's the most dangerous man on the planet bar none. His stand-up is just ridiculous. I see him using footwork and movement, avoiding Chael's takedowns and tagging him with some heavy shots. Also possible that Silva catches Sonnen with a knee as Chael shoots in too. Going to be an interesting fight, really looking forward to it.

Thiago Alves vs Jon Fitch - Both awesome fighters, and both vying for a title shot, but I see Fitch being good enough to take Thiago down and grind him for 3 rounds to get himself a title shot. Fitch will have to be wary though, this is not the same Alves he beat all those years ago. Alves has much better TDD, far better stand-up and is just an all-round better fighter. It's another that could go either way, but I see Fitch taking it. The lay-off could ultimately affect Thiago.

Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida - Another great fight, but I see Almeida taking it. I believe Almeida's superior in the stand-up, and has a very dangerous guard. He's a 3rd Degree Renzo Gracie black belt, so he poses some serious problems for Hughes on the ground. I see Almeida pulling out a submission in the 2nd.

Clay Guida vs Rafael Dos Anjos - Love Guida, he's a super exciting guy to watch, but Dos Anjos looked excellent at UFC 112 against Etim. Dos Anjos has a slick ground game and is no mug on the feet. I expect Guida to push the pace, but ultimately see Rafael pulling out the submission in either the 2nd or 3rd round.

Junior Dos Santos vs Roy Nelson - Another fantastic fight this one. JDS has looked incredible in the UFC, with big wins over tough guys in Werdum, Struve, Gonzaga, Cro Cop and Yvel, and I see him having enough to KO Big Country here. I am not writing Nelson off though. If Roy gets this to the ground, he could very well end the fight. He's another Renzo Gracie black belt, has some slick ground skills and is very dangerous from the crucifix position. He could test JDS's chin on the feet, and I really hope this goes more than 1 round and Nelson tests JDS's ground game, as that's the 1 area we know very little about. It's something that needs to be tested too, as he doesn't want to go into a fight with Brock or Cain with little or no experience dealing with a big guy on top of him. I do see Junior pulling out the win in the 1st though, and it'll be via KO, his stand-up's too good for anyone in the division.

Prelim Card

Dustin Hazelett vs Ricky Story
    Phil Davis vs Rodney Wallace
    Todd Brown vs Tim Boetsch
    Johnny Hendricks vs Charlie Brenneman
    Christian Morecraft vs Stefan Struve
    Ben Saunders vs Dennis Hallman

Roll on Saturday night!
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

International 12th Man
    hope silva gets pounded

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Holy crap

So so gutted, decided I'd had enough when Sonnen got the takedown at 4:40 of round 5 and turned it off. Went on Sherdog to see who it was that Chael wanted to call out when he won, and then...****.

Well, that was worth staying up for.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Epic event. Chael Sonnen is the man. Was gutted when Anderson sunk the Triangle and then the Armbar in, really wanted him to take the title after that performance. He did more damage and dominated Anderson like no-one else every has. Compustrike's site shows that Sonnen landed 289 strikes to Andersons 29, which is not only the record for a UFC fight but also more strikes landed on Silva than in his last 11 fights combined (he had been hit with 208 in those fights). Brilliant from Sonnen, just a shame he couldn't pull out the win. Would love to see a re-match.

Just found a video. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Epic event. Chael Sonnen is the man. Was gutted when Anderson sunk the Triangle and then the Armbar in, really wanted him to take the title after that performance. He did more damage and dominated Anderson like no-one else every has. Compustrike's site shows that Sonnen landed 289 strikes to Andersons 29, which is not only the record for a UFC fight but also more strikes landed on Silva than in his last 11 fights combined (he had been hit with 208 in those fights). Brilliant from Sonnen, just a shame he couldn't pull out the win. Would love to see a re-match.
    Brilliant fight by Sonnen and a rematch would be great. In fact it has to happen. Unfortunate that these are two of the least likeable fighters in the UFC.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Sonnen absolutely deserves another crack at Silva. In the meantime who would you guys have Vitor fighting? He needs at least a tuneup after the layoff.

Yeah, I suspect there'll be a rematch before either fighter takes on anyone else. If either of them were to lose it would be a huuuge missed opportunity for the UFC.

MMA live were reporting that Silva won't fight til spring next year Sonnen said he would definately fight before then. He said he expects to be Silva's next opponent though.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread Information