• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

chalky

International Debutant
Was suprised that BJ just couldn't do anything with Edgar with his stand up or on the ground a completely dominating performance by Edgar.

You've got to admire Maynard but his style isn't too pleasing to watch a lot of Lay & Pray skillful but doesn't provide a great deal of excitement.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KJ vs Diaz was a sick fight. Both guys backed their **** up big time. Bloody hell, they need a rubber fight. Hopefully it happens one day. Respect for both of them went up a fair bit after that.

chalky

International Debutant
Been watching the UFC primetime & can't wait for Brock vs Cain (you know it's big when you just use their 1st names) this weekend probably the biggest fight in MMA history, Looking forward to seeing Shields in the UFC also don't think Kampmann will be a pushover but still expect Shields to win. On the Brock vs Cain heart says Cain head says Brock.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Been watching the UFC primetime & can't wait for Brock vs Cain (you know it's big when you just use their 1st names) this weekend probably the biggest fight in MMA history, Looking forward to seeing Shields in the UFC also don't think Kampmann will be a pushover but still expect Shields to win. On the Brock vs Cain heart says Cain head says Brock.
Every fight in the UFC is hyped as the biggest ever. Brock vs Carwin was the biggest ever and the one before that was etc. Brock vs JDS will be hped the same and so on and so forth.

Cain has a moderate record (his step up in class has been against opponenents that have won only 4 of their combined 9 fights since beginning of 2009) and a victory this weekend will say as much about Lesnar as Cain.

This fight isnt a particular relevant fight. It is great to see Lesnar in action as it makes it a big event but, IMO, it isnt a special fight.

I do agree with you about Shields though. Hopefully he pulls off a good performance and casts aside his pillow hands and LnP rep but that remains to be seen.

Should be a decent card.

Majin

International Debutant
Watched that episode yesterday, don't think I've laughed so hard in a long time. Absolutely hilarious.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I am so pumped for UFC 121 tonight. Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez is set to be a barn burner. The whole card looks awesome too. Might as well make a few predictions:

Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez - Brock Lesnar is a beast. The Brock haters like to dismiss him, claiming he has very little skill and relies purely on size, but I'm expecting Brock to prove them haters wrong with a dominant win over Velasquez. Generally skill can overcome size, but when you've got Lesnar's level of skill mixed with his size and athleticism, you've got a scary, scary combination. I like Cain a lot, think he has a very solid skill set. He has an advantage on the feet technically, and possibly has better cardio, but I'd say Brock has a grappling advantage, a speed advantage and a pretty significant size advantage. Just check out the weigh-in picture, they look like they should be in different weight classes:

Brock is going to take Cain down, and pound his face into the canvas until Herb Dean steps in and stops it. Brock via TKO in the 2nd.

Jake Shields vs Martin Kampmann - The key to this fight is Martin Kampmann's wrestling. If he can defend the shot he has a very good chance of knocking Shields out. That's not going to be easy though. Shields is probably the best grappler at 170 after Georges St. Pierre (It's between Shields and Fitch anyway), and is on a serious run and has taken out some serious competition. He seems to have got a reputation as a boring, LnP fighter, but that reputation shows just how fickle MMA fans are. Shields has gone to a decision twice in his last 10 fights. He's finished guys like Paul Daley, Mike Pyle, Robbie Lawler, Nick Thompson and dangerous BJJ Black Belt Renato Verissimo. Shields has a serious resume. Do not write Martin Kampmann off though. He has an excellent sprawl, hits like a truck and is very hard to submit. He's training at a good camp, and Randy seems confident that Kampmann has the tools to defend Shields' shot. Should be a good fight, but I ultimately see Shields taking it either by decision, or via submission in the 3rd.

Diego Sanchez vs Paulo Thiago - This is the fight I'm backing to get FOTN. Diego has had a bit of a blip in his career of late, with losses to BJ and Hathaway, but I expect the old Nightmare to be back here. I love Paulo Thiago, the guy is a complete bad ass, but Diego outclasses him on the feet (though he does have to watch out for the power of Thiago), has the wrestling to dominate him and the BJJ to defend Thiago's submissions. I expect Diego to come out victorious, but it would not be a surprise to see Thiago pull out a KO or a sub. Great fight on paper!

Matt Hamill vs Tito Ortiz - Tito looks in the best shape I've ever seen him, and appears to be re-focused, healthy and determined to get back to winning ways. He might not have won a fight since Shamrock, but only Chuck Liddell has finished him in that time. In his last fight he took Forrest to a very close decision; almost finished Machida with a triangle and would have beaten Rashad if it wasn't for grabbing the fence. He has 2 decision losses to former champions, a draw with the next title contender and was finished by Chuck, that's really not bad going, especially when you consider his injuries and surgeries. I see Tito overwhelming Hamill with his wrestling and taking him out with G+P. Tito still has some of the best G+P in the game, and I see him putting it to use against Hamill.

Brendan Schaub vs Gabriel Gonzaga - This one really could go either way. You've got Schaub with his powerful stand-up, killer instinct and good cardio against Gonzaga with his size advantage, sick Jiu Jitsu and powerful striking. It's a great match-up. I personally see Schaub getting the best of the striking, but I then see Gonzaga being good enough to take it to the ground. Once there, Gonzaga is a monster, and I'm feeling a Gonzaga submission victory. If Gonzaga fights smart it's his fight to lose, but that's been an issue for him in his career. If he's ever going to get beyond Gatekeeper status he's going to need to start using his Jiu Jitsu more effectively. His striking just doesn't hold up to the likes of JDS, Carwin or Velasquez. Even so, I still see him having enough to get past Schaub, but if Schaub lands on the button, it could be lights out Gonzaga.

What a card. I cannot wait. Top to bottom (including the prelims) this is stacked with awesome looking fights. I hope it lives up to my expectations, if it does, it should be card of the year. Take a bow Joe Silva!

duffer

Hahahhahahahaha Tito. Matt better not get sawn off here with the decision.

edit: Lots of class shown after the fight though. Really good to see.

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
I am seriously upset that they didn't interview him after the fight. Tito's excuses are the best parts of his fights. :(

edit: can't ****ing wait for Sanchez/Thiago, got FotN written all over it

duffer

I am seriously upset that they didn't interview him after the fight. Tito's excuses are the best parts of his fights. :(

edit: can't ****ing wait for Sanchez/Thiago, got FotN written all over it
Yes to both. Wanted to see what injury Tito had this time? Heh at Diego and the mariachi music. Flashback to the TUF1 finale.

Majin

International Debutant
**** yes, that was a sick fight. Has to be a win for Diego, so happy, I think he is up there as my favourite MMA fighter with Big Nog and Shogun, such a hero. Love Paulo Thiago as well, always brings it, but really wanted Diego to pull this one out.

edit: well yeah, Diego won, but 30-26? That is a bit harsh on Paulo.

Last edited:

duffer

Shields debut coming up now. Kampmann is a bad man though, shouldn't be discounted.