• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Daley deserves to be gone from UFC. Hopefully SF will stay away and he has a career of regional shows back in the UK.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame that Daley lost the plot in the end, I was still pissed off at Koscheck faking the knee to the head so I can imagine after a fair bit of lnp that Paul would've been too. That said Kos followed his gameplan impressively, but they really need to consider changing the way they score these fights.

Not against wrestlers taking it to the ground but there has to be damage done and or attempts to finish the fight for them to be winning. Not just a constant transitioning from full to half guard as seemed to be the case for a lot of that fight.

Really really happy for Shogun, I was firmly believeing that Machida would adjust and it would be difficult for Shogun to re-apply all the same things he did in the first fight but boy I'm glad I was wrong. Winner of Evans-Page for the LHW title? Why not, Shogun won't have any issues fighting Anderson Silva, Little Nog or any of the Blackhouse crew. Opens that division up a bit too.

King Pietersen

International Captain
People blame the wrestler, but surely credit has to go to Paul Daley for defending successfully on the ground? Koscheck had his back twice, and Daley managed to avoid getting RNC'd. Daley also did a fantastic job of neutralising Kos's guard passes, managing to keep him in half guard by controlling Koscheck's posture. This lay and pray business is a 2 way street, you can't just punish the wrestler for the guy on the bottom being content with controlling the guys posture. If it was the old PRIDE yellow card system in place, Daley would have surely been given a yellow card too? As he was doing an excellent job on the ground defending against Koscheck, and preventing him from doing any fight ending damage, and wasn't exactly active on the bottom himself. People are quick to slag off Koscheck tactics, without praising Daley for doing a very solid job off his back.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Very good Strikeforce card last night. Shame to see AA look so ordinary but Bigfoot looked great.

Pity poor Brett Rogers. Overeem made him look like a child rather than a 260+ lb man.

King Pietersen

International Captain
UFC 114 Predictions:

Main Card:

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs Rashad Evans: I think this should be a very close fight that could go either way, but is entirely dependent on Rashad's gameplan. If Rashad comes in planning on using his superior hand-speed, head-movement and technical boxing, and then mixes in some wrestling in the 2nd and 3rd rounds when Rampage potentially starts to lose steam, then he could pull out a decision. However, if the fight ends before the 3rd, it will be Rampage ending the fight. Rampage has faced guys with more power than Rashad, and he will not get submitted by Rashad either. I really cannot pick between these guys, just have to see how it plays out.

Michael Bisping vs Dan Miller: Should be a comprehensive win for Bisping here. He's far superior on the feet, looks incredibly good on the pads again, and should come in with far more confidence in his striking against a guy of the calibre of Miller. He was tentative against the power of Henderson, then tentative against Kang because of the KO and then once again tentative due to Wandy's power, but he doesn't have that worry here. Miller's only hope is using his grappling, getting Bisping down and working for 15 minutes. I don't think he'll manage that though.

Todd Duffee vs Mike Russow: I'm going to buy into the Duffee hype-machine here. He hasn't fought for a while, and that fight didn't last long, so this is going to be a test for him. Russow's on a good win streak, so it should be a good fight, but I see the athleticism and youth of Duffee overcoming Russow here.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Jason Brilz: Shame Forrest couldn't make this fight, was one I was really looking forward to, and saw Forrest pulling out another upset, but this should still be a decent fight. Little Nog's taking it comprehensively though, I'd be hugely surprised if Brilz won here.

John Hathaway vs Diego Sanchez: Hathaway is a big WW and for a Brit, a talented wrestler; but Diego Sanchez should return to the WW division with a W in this fight. Diego's better on the feet, better on the ground and has better wrestling I believe. Hathaway has the potential to grind out a decision, but I see Nightmare taking the victory in this one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
UFC 114 was really entertaining last night. It was a card that had little significance but high entertainment.

Hathaway looked amazing. I cant say I knew too much abut him before but he has beautiful lines and his striking is really crisp and he has TDD (:-O). He was really impressive as Diego is obv no joke. He is also a good loking and well spoken kid (doesnt have to be subtitled for the US audience) and has a bagful of potential.

Brilz was robbed. Lil' Nog did not win that fight.

Duffee was sat down by 1 punch after tooling Russow for 3 rounds. He is still a physical specimen but the hype train was derailed last night.

Bisping outclassed Miller but Im still not convinced he can ever be an elite fighter. He moves well, he is busy, and has fast hands and good allround striking and he says he has worked on his power but he still doesnt have the big power that scares people and his chin is still suspect. For me, his striking is his strength but also his weakness.

I had Rashard beating Rampage and I didnt think it would be an exciting fight and I was right. A pretty uneventful fight with Rashard using his speed and wrestling to outpoint Rampage. It could never have been the fight people wanted or it was being hyped up to be. Not sure what the future holds for Rampage. People say that 205 is stacked. Im not so sure so he has a future if he wants one. He is clearly still top 10 but Im not sure he really wants it anymore.

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
Not watched the entire event yet but I loved Cro Cop and Barry last night, was such an awesome fight and I personally thought the hug was awesome to see, I loved that. Stoked to see Cro Cop pick up a win, and while he was still far from the Cro Cop of old there were glimpses, especially the flurry of combinations he threw to floor Barry at the end of the third, that was a thing of beauty. Still don't think he'll be making a run at the title any time soon but I'm glad he overcame adversity to smash someone.

Ace Franklin is also a legendary hero, jeez he must have gigantic stones. Sad for Chuck, he looked in great shape, but his reflexes are totally gone, got caught with shots the entire fight from a one armed man. I'm happy for Ace, but worried about where he goes from here. It's clear he wants to make one last run at the title, and he has a great record at 205 in the UFC, but I think from here on out the opponents he will have to face are too much for him at this stage of his career. Possible matchups include Machida, which I think would be a sick fight and one where Ace could come out of it the most healthy, Rampage which he would probably have more chance of winning but also more chance of getting badly hurt, and the winner of the Bones Jones-Eastern European man whose name I can't spell fight. Even if he does make it past that, the idea of Ace in the cage with Shogun geniunely scares me, because he'd get killed. Still, will be interesting to see what's up next for him, and massive props for his performance.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Fedor's had his first real loss in MMA, and Sherdog has basically crashed.

Really just got a bit too excited and sloppy when Werdum fell over and got caught deep. Another killer blow to Strikeforce as it robs them of a massive Fedor-Overeem clash for the time being.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Wow. Was expecting to wake up this morning, check MMA-Core to see the video of Fedor knocking Werdum out in the 1st round, and when I saw the length of the video I was sure that was going to happen. Fedor looked very good standing at the start of the fight, and when he landed and knocked Werdum down I thought it was definitely over, but man did Werdum do well. To have that amount of composure after being knocked down and to pull out 4 sub attempts with a rampaging Fedor trying to smash your face in is seriously impressive. Fedor was incredibly sloppy though, to leave himself exposed to the submissions like that was so poor on his part. I don't think it has anything to do with motivation or lack of training, just that he got sloppy and Werdum was good enough to capitalise. Fantastic comeback from Werdum.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surprised to see nobody posting about the Brock fight tonight. I'm not a big UFC watcher but I'm looking forwards to this.

Majin

International Debutant
More excited about Sotiropoulos/Pellegrino and Lytle/Brown than Lesnar/Carwin tbh, Georgie is always awesome to watch and Lytle/Brown should be a complete war. Not that the main event isn't exciting, I just don't think it's going to be as good a fight as the other two. ***yama/Leben should be good as well, though I hope ***yama doesn't stand in front of Leben, two weeks after he fought or not. ***yama has a solid chin but Leben's makes it look like Chuck Liddell's, and despite his awful technique he's definitely got killshot power.

Should be an entertaining card though for sure.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised to see nobody posting about the Brock fight tonight. I'm not a big UFC watcher but I'm looking forwards to this.
Ill be watching and Im looking forward to it, mainly to see who steps up and presents himself as its a fight between guys with big hype and incomplete CVs as we really dont know if either of these guys are legit or pretenders.

If you want a prediction, Brock to crush Carwin but then maybe Im getting sucked into the UFC hype machine. Both of them with a lot to prove and a lot to gain and lose in this fight.

Majin

International Debutant
Holy ****. Hooooooly ****. That was one of the best nights of fights I've seen in a long time. Crazy good fun to watch!

Gotta start with Brock, man, so much respect for him right now, I thought he was dead and buried, you could see straight away from the first punch that he did not like Carwins power at all. And the relentless ground and pound, for like 4 minutes of the first round, just to survive that alone is insane. The choke out victory was hilariously awesome as well.

***yama/Leben was an awesome fight, but like I thought ***yama paid the price for standing in front of Leben and exchanging with him, came off worse and gassed because of it. I really wanted him to win that fight, but how can you not love Leben? two weeks after taking out highly rated Aaron Simpson, he steps up to take on and take out Akiyama? with a TRIANGLE CHOKE? And those double punches he was doing to his head, my god I was dying. In raptures. And then he called out Wanderlei. The whole fight was awesome as well, just two guys absolutely refusing to go down. Beautiful.

Lytle vs Brown was good as well, lots of mixed action on the feet and on the floor, and we got to see some nice stuff from Lytle, the whole triangle mount/armbar combination was really cool to see.

Polish Experiment vs Bonnar was a crazy fight as well, Bonnar is a god damn madman who is going to have brain damage in about 5 years if he keeps going on the way he is, but again it was just two guys throwing everything they had and leaving it all in the cage, back and forth action. Sweet as hell.

Finally, was stoked again for George Sotiropoulos, another great performance from him, showing off his classy BJJ skills. I just wish, wish, wish he had power in his hands, he's so damn featherfisted. If he had the power he'd be an absolute monster. Still, love him and his style and it was great to watch.

God I'm so hyped now. That was AWESOME.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stayed up all night for this- so, so worth it. Small parties for late night sporting events seriously float my boat.

Majin

International Debutant
Friend is down here and we're gonna drink and play games so I can't be arsed to fully go into last nights UFC on versus, but I do feel the need to say **** Tyson "I'm a sore loser bitch" Griffin and war ****ing Gomi, what a legendary badman, completely wasted Tyson and it was glorious. Such a filthy KO, landed right on his bitch face, it was beautiful. Love the Fireball Kid.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jones-Matyushenko was a great card, especially for a free one. Really looking forward to Nelson-JDS and Fitch-Alves this weekend though. Sonnen-Silva has a lot of letdown potential for me. Only thing keeping me interested in it is seeing whether Chael has the balls to try and get inside and take Silva down. Anderson's knees and clinch game are scary and if Sonnen gets caught by either he's going to get smashed.

Penn-Edgar 2 is the card I'm really really looking forward to though.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Cannot wait for the card this weekend. So pumped for every fight on the main card. Might as well post a few predictions:

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen - I'd love to see Sonnen take Anderson down and smash him for 5 rounds, just to see how arrogant Chael'd be after the fight and what he'd say after the fight. I don't see that happening though. Anderson looks very angry, and if he's fired up he's the most dangerous man on the planet bar none. His stand-up is just ridiculous. I see him using footwork and movement, avoiding Chael's takedowns and tagging him with some heavy shots. Also possible that Silva catches Sonnen with a knee as Chael shoots in too. Going to be an interesting fight, really looking forward to it.

Thiago Alves vs Jon Fitch - Both awesome fighters, and both vying for a title shot, but I see Fitch being good enough to take Thiago down and grind him for 3 rounds to get himself a title shot. Fitch will have to be wary though, this is not the same Alves he beat all those years ago. Alves has much better TDD, far better stand-up and is just an all-round better fighter. It's another that could go either way, but I see Fitch taking it. The lay-off could ultimately affect Thiago.

Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida - Another great fight, but I see Almeida taking it. I believe Almeida's superior in the stand-up, and has a very dangerous guard. He's a 3rd Degree Renzo Gracie black belt, so he poses some serious problems for Hughes on the ground. I see Almeida pulling out a submission in the 2nd.

Clay Guida vs Rafael Dos Anjos - Love Guida, he's a super exciting guy to watch, but Dos Anjos looked excellent at UFC 112 against Etim. Dos Anjos has a slick ground game and is no mug on the feet. I expect Guida to push the pace, but ultimately see Rafael pulling out the submission in either the 2nd or 3rd round.

Junior Dos Santos vs Roy Nelson - Another fantastic fight this one. JDS has looked incredible in the UFC, with big wins over tough guys in Werdum, Struve, Gonzaga, Cro Cop and Yvel, and I see him having enough to KO Big Country here. I am not writing Nelson off though. If Roy gets this to the ground, he could very well end the fight. He's another Renzo Gracie black belt, has some slick ground skills and is very dangerous from the crucifix position. He could test JDS's chin on the feet, and I really hope this goes more than 1 round and Nelson tests JDS's ground game, as that's the 1 area we know very little about. It's something that needs to be tested too, as he doesn't want to go into a fight with Brock or Cain with little or no experience dealing with a big guy on top of him. I do see Junior pulling out the win in the 1st though, and it'll be via KO, his stand-up's too good for anyone in the division.

Prelim Card

Dustin Hazelett vs Ricky Story
Phil Davis vs Rodney Wallace
Todd Brown vs Tim Boetsch
Johnny Hendricks vs Charlie Brenneman
Christian Morecraft vs Stefan Struve
Ben Saunders vs Dennis Hallman

Roll on Saturday night!