• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
Been quite abit of news recently. The main news has probably been the UFC's signing of professional boxer James 'Lights Out' Toney. Toney's been stalking Dana for months, and he finally managed to get Dana to give in and sign him. It's been reported that he's going to be training with Juanito Ibarra, former trainer of Quinton Jackson in preperation for his first fight, and I am personally quite excited to see who he's given for his first fight. There's been talks that they want to get him in for his 1st fight in June, and potential opponents at the minute include Kimbo Slice, Forrest Griffin, Randy Couture and James McSweeney. I'd say the most likely at the minute would be McSweeney or Slice. I seriously doubt the commission would sanction a fight between an MMA newbie and an experienced fighter like Couture or Griffin. If Toney was to get badly hurt then who knows what would happen. Going to be interesting to see if Toney can get in shape, and more importantly learn some MMA skills. If he can develop some sort of ground game, or TDD he could be a serious force, there's no-one in the UFC with hands as good as James Toney.

Strikeforce have announced their next card too, and it is stacked with 3 title fights. It's going to be main evented by Jake Shields defending his belt against Dan Henderson. Then you've got Gegard Mousasi defending the LHW belt against King Mo Lawal as well as Gilbert Melendez defending against Shinya Aoki. 3 massive fights, and a card I am seriously looking forward too. Also rumoured that Cung Le could be fighting on the card too, if that was to happen then this card would have some serious pulling power.

They've also signed Andrei Arlovski to a multi-fight deal, and he's due to take on Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva at Strikeforce 24. That event is set to be pretty stacked too, with Alistair Overeem finally returning to the organisation, and it's looking likely that he'll defend his belt against Brett Rogers, although it's been rumoured to be a non-title fight too. Fedor's also set to fight on this card as well, with a fight against Fabricio Werdum looking likely. Frank Shamrock and Pat Miletich have apparently verbally agreed to fight on the card as also. Strikeforce really are pulling out some serious fights and giving the UFC some healthy competition. Should be some really exciting fights in the next few months, very good time to be a MMA fan. :D

Early predictions for the UFC on Versus and UFC 111 card too, as I'm bored :)

UFC Live: Vera vs Jones

Brandon Vera vs Jon Jones
Junior Dos Santos vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Cheick Kongo vs Paul Buentello
Alessio Sakara vs James Irvin
Clay Guida vs Shannon Gugerty
Eliot Marshall vs Vladimir Matyushenko

UFC 111: St-Pierre vs Hardy

Georges St-Pierre vs Dan Hardy - as much as I'd like to vote with my heart and go Hardy, I have to go for GSP.
Frank Mir vs Shane Carwin
Ben Saunders vs Jake Ellenberger
Jon Fitch vs Thiago Alves
Jim Miller vs Mark Bocek

Nate Diaz vs Rory Markham
Ricardo Almeida vs Matt Brown

Can't wait for those 2 events!

King Pietersen

International Captain
'Wow' sums it up pretty nicely. Scott Coker confirmed it on MMA Live last night, can't wait for the card. 3 title fights on 1 card is just crazy, especially when they're as good as Shields-Henderson, Mousasi-Lawal and Melendez-Aoki. Just a shame that Lawal is effectively the last worthy contender to Mousasi's 205 crown in Strikeforce, except possibly Henderson. I'd like to see Mousasi beat Lawal, tool Henderson and then come to the UFC. Quite excited for Strikeforce though, their roster is just growing in strength. The HW division looks particularly good with Fedor, Overeem, Rogers, Arlovski, Silva, Werdum and Lashley.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Overoids and Rogers really are struggling to get much love from me until they can actually get sanctioned to fight in America. Can't give them any credibility unless they can deliver after passing some drugs tests. On paper it looks very nice though.

But yeah, incredible three fights. Mo and Gegard are both top contenders and Aoki and melendez I've both mentioned my love for on here before. Very exciting.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
I'm sure I read that Mousasi only has one fight left on his Strikeforce contract. Now that he's left M1, I'd bet betting the farm that he'll be on a UFC contract the minute his Strikeforce contract is up. The lack of 205lb challengers in Strikeforce might turn out to be moot.

Strikeforce definitely has Dana's attention, though. The story going around is that dana signed Toney as a way of killing a Toney-Walker fight that Strikeforce was discussing. Dana has also already announced that the UFC will run a live card on the same night as the Strikeforce card, and Coker has hinted that they'll be shifting the Strikeforce card forward by a week in response.

I wouldn't be too worried about the commission not approving a Toney fight. His boxing record will count for a lot, especially if (as I suspect) the UFC feeds him a can for his first fight in the hope that it'll turn his second fight into a huge money fight. If I was to take a guess, I'd assume that the UFC will build to Couture-Toney as Toney's second fight, probably on the year end card. If built right, the boxing-v-MMA angle could sell a card of UFC 100 proportions.

Besides, if they run into any issues with getting a Toney fight sanctioned, they'll just do it in Nevada. Zuffa accounts for a huge amount of the NSAC revenues now, so it'll take a major mismatch for the NSAC to say no to them.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Moussasi-Mo?

Wow, wow, wow, wow,wow,wow,wow!
That will be an exciting fight. Looking forward to it already.

and if there is a card with Andrei Arlovski vs Antonio Silva, Brett Rogers vs Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum vs Fedor Emelianenko then holy ****. That is uber-stacked.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must say yesterday's card was really entertaining. Jones was superb, just crazy against Vera and punked him out hard. Give him a Thiago Silva type of guy next up and if he passes a test like that he's in the title picture. **** me, this guys elbows are as dangerous as anyone's.

JDS was brilliant too. He is a scary mofu and that reminded me a lot of what Velasquez did to Nogueira. Just viscious, he waited and picked Gonzaga apart. Was a brutal knockdown.

Kongo told me nothing I alreayd didn't know. He'll be around but he's not getting a big bout for a while.

Sakara's punch to the eyeball was fantastic as well, but knockout of the night had to go to John Howard. Holy ****, Doomsday is ****ing exciting. Throw him in with the likes of Daley, Koscheck and Rumble and that division has some sick sick bangers in there just below the elite guys. Very much enjoyed it, especially for a free card.

King Pietersen

International Captain
JDS is for real. He's taking the HW title within 18 months. The UFC need to get a fight between him and Cain sorted. The HW division is so stacked atm. Talking of HW's, the UFC's hype train pisses me off. "Shane Carwin, 11 wins, 11 knockouts" WTF? He has 6 T/KO's, not 11, the UFC seem to have ignored the fact he has 5 submission victories, even Carwin looked embarassed when Rogan kept repeating it in their interview. It's just blatent lying, and the sort of rubbish that the casual fan will just take as fact.

Can't wait for UFC 111 this weekend. Really hoping Dan Hardy pulls off the victory, would be great for him to shut the GSP nuthuggers up on the MMA forums, really has been frustrating the way they continue to write Hardy off. This is a fight, anything can happen. Dan's got the tools to beat GSP, he just needs things to go well on the night. GSP should win the fight, but stranger things have happened in MMA. I'd love to see Dan bring home the belt. War Hardy!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Just heard some terrible news regarding the 111 card, and the health of Thiago Alves.

Former welterweight number one contender Thiago Alves has been pulled from his March 27 fight against Jon Fitch at UFC 111 after a CAT Scan has revealed an irregularity involving an artery in his brain.

TMZ first reported the unfortunate news earlier today and MMAmania.com has since confirmed the change with sources close to one of the fight camps.

The UFC is currently searching for an opponent on the east coast who is licensed in New Jersey, but the possibilities are slim due to the timing and strict licensing requirements in the "Garden State."

Stay tuned for more on this breaking news in a bit.

Thiago Alves pulled from UFC 111 event after CAT Scan reveals brain irregularity - MMA Mania
That's seriously bad news, and I really hope that whatever's been detected isn't a serious issue for him, and ends his career. Was really looking forward to the fight, but this is not good for Thiago. Hope he gets well soon!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Hours after learning opponent Thiago Alves failed a CT scan and was scratched from the card, his opponent, Jon Fitch (21-3 MMA, 11-1 UFC), has agreed to replace Jake Ellenberger (22-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and fight Ben Saunders (8-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) on the UFC 111 pay-per-view main card.

Multiple sources today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) the change to Saturday's card, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

A source told MMAjunkie.com said Saunders specifically asked for the new bout when Fitch became available.

Ellenberger has been promised his "show" and "win" money to make up for the UFC's last-minute switch, we're told.

An official announcement is expected any time now from the UFC.

For complete coverage of UFC 111, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Jon Fitch replaces Jake Ellenberger, meets Ben Saunders on UFC 111 main card | MMAjunkie.com
Jake Ellenberger replaced by Jon Fitch, meaning Fitch vs Saunders on the main card. Good fight, slightly harsh on Ellenberger, but it should be a good test for Saunders. A win in this fight for Saunders would be huge for his career.

DingDong

State Captain
jones will become the first proper ufc legend. he is young got the looks got moves in the octogan..he'll take the sport far

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty awesome show tonight. GSP absolutely dominant again, and Hardy was gutsy but offered nothing. Didn't even look like landing a punch on him, and GSP had his way with him on the ground. Not sure who is next for him. I don't particularly want to see Fitch get another shot, so you'd reckon Daley/Koscheck.

Carwin - what an absolute beast! Fully expected the new and improved Mir to win, but he was just monstered tonight. Can't wait to Lesnar/Carwin which is being touted for 116, and though I hope Brock wins he's going to have his work cut out for him big time. Carwin undoubtedly his biggest test yet.

Didn't think the Palhares thing was too bad, the ref was just really slow in stopping it. Also thought Bocek was a bit stiff, but might need to watch that again.

After kind of a lull over the last month, things really get hectic now. Florian vs. Gomi is just a few days away and I'm really interested to see whether Gomi has his **** together. Hope he does, because he's an exciting fighter and the lightweight division needs someone to start tearing up other than BJ. Then its 112 a couple of weeks later which I am unbelievably pumped for. Stacked main card, and hopefully the two challengers can test the champions. Less confident about Edgar doing that than I am Maia.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Absolutely awesome performance from Georges St-Pierre. I realistically never gave Dan a shot in this fight, and he was frankly out-classed. GSP didn't give him chance to land the big shot, and his takedowns were just unreal. There really was nothing Dan could do, I don't think there's anyone in the world that could handle GSP's grappling ability.

As for Dan, it proved he's not on the level of GSP, but definitely proved he's deserving of being in the top ranked group of fighters. I've never seen anyone show as much heart as that in a fight. I thought it was over in the 1st round, when the armbar was fully extended. But the Kimura was just unreal, I've never seen someone crank a kimura like that, how Dan survived that I don't know.

Have to agree with Georges too, for a first go at a title shot, against a guy as good as GSP, Dan did very well. I don't think anyone can help but respect both guys after that fight. Awesome stuff.

Carwin proved me wrong completey. I didn't honestly see him winning that fight, but he performed excellently. His stand-up didn't look great, got caught by a couple of shots, but against the cage Mir didn't have a hope in hell. Awesome power, and a very good performance. Looking forward to seeing how he goes against a much more explosive wrestler though.

Fitch was dominating as always, without doing anything notable. His stand-up is looking better and better, but his game hasn't improved enough to worry GSP. I don't see Koscheck or Daley standing a chance against GSP either. I'd be contemplating moving up if I was GSP. I think we could see a big shift this year. I see GSP moving up to Middleweight, which opens the door for BJ Penn to move up to Welterweight, and then I see Anderson Silva moving up and floating around LHW and HW. Which then means we'll more than likely see K-Flo taking the LW belt, Penn vs Alves/Fitch for the WW, GSP vs Sonnen/Maia at MW and hopefully Shogun vs Silva at LHW too, which could set up an inevitable GSP vs Anderson Silva fight sometime in 2011.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Two very different main-events.

GSP was a machine. Such a masterclass in fighting. Hardly a thrill a min but zero risk strategy seldom is. A lot of respect for Hardy for not tapping but he was overmatched and outclassed.

Mir and Carwin was strange from the beginning. From the ring walk to the fight, Mir looked drugged. His behaviour was off and he offered nothing in the fight and he even looked disengaged when up against the cage. For people like me (and there are a lot) who never considered Mir a top fighter and more of a hyped guy with a misleading record and consider Carwin a still raw product of a thin UFC division, this fight doesnt do a lot for sorting out the MMA Heavyweight picture, though it does make the UFC picture more clear. For all that, it was an entertainign fight and Carwin certainly hits hard. TBH, Id rather see Carwin-Velasquez with the winner fighting Lesnar than Carwin-Lesnar.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Thin UFC division? Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir and Junior Dos Santos are all fighting for the top spot, I'd say that makes for a pretty stacked group of top contenders personally.

Hardy being outclassed by GSP is hardly surprising though really, many a top fighter have been outclassed by GSP. Guys like Alves, Fitch, Koscheck, Hughes, Serra and Penn have all been comprehensively beaten by Georges St-Pierre. The way Hardy battled at least proved to me that he belongs in the top tier of the division. I'd love to see Hardy vs Paulo Thiago next, just a shame Thiago's already booked in a fight.