• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFL Team - 1997-Present

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brad Ottens might be worth a run in the Rucks or Key Forwards

Oh, and the correct spelling is Koschitzke (because it's going to annoy me everytime i see it with a question mark :p)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Looks like the midfielders one is largely done, with Judd, Voss, Buckley, Ablett, Hird, in and Cousins, Goodes, and Harvey tied atm.

Will leave it for a while before calling it, but in the meantime, will put up the key forwards poll.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Both the key forwards and Midfielders poll will run for at least til tomorrow night, but as of right now the team would look something like:
Code:
B        x,   x,   x
HB       x,   x,   x 
C   Buckley, Voss, Goodes/Cousins
HF       x,  Carey,  Hird
F        x,  Lockett, x
Foll     x, Judd, Ablett     
Int      x,x,x,x
Tempted to say already that you could replace the rest of the players with under-18 players and this team would be competitive at normal AFL level. :ph34r:

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah, this is a progress update ;) Hird's on ten votes, ahead of Goodes/Cousins on 8. Wouldn't get too hung up on whether to put him in now or as a non-key forward. There'll come a point where we probably will have to choose whether to take an extra non-key forward or another midfielder. If Hird has already got in at that point, it will make that decision easier.

Insomia. Dog tired, and had a mad day today at work, with another one coming tomorrow, but can't go to sleep.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Will put up key backs and run-withs in a bit. Any further nominations for either before I do. I'm adding Lenny Hayes and Daniel Chick to the run-withs...

Run Withs:
Brady Rawlings
Brett Kirk
Cameron Ling
Daniel Chick
Jared Crouch
Kane Cornes
Lenny Hayes
Paul Licuria

KPB
Ben Rutten
Chad Cornes
Chris Grant (could equally be a key forward)
Darren Glass
Dustin Fletcher
Justin Leppitsch
Mal Michael
Matthew Scarlett
Max Hudgton
Sean Wellman
Shane Wakelin
Simon Prestigiacomo
Trent Croad

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ben Hart.

edit: Could also go in non-key position backs I guess. Depends how many you want of each.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Liberatore in the run withs IMO. Re-invented himself post knee injuries.

Glen Jakovich for key backs. Would imagine CHB would come down to him, Grant or maybe Leppitch.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Liberatore in the run withs IMO. Re-invented himself post knee injuries.

Glen Jakovich for key backs. Would imagine CHB would come down to him, Grant or maybe Leppitch.
Playing spans was the reason Liber and Jakovich hadn't already been put in, but happy to put them in and let the public decide.

EDIT: Which is stupid, because Jakovich played under 2004 - had in my head that he finished up circa 1998, and that Carey outlasted him. :confused:

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sorry guys, in the midst of week from hell work wise. The hiatus might last till the weekend.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
The Brisbane Lions side of 2001-2003 would probably be as good as any side that has ever played AFL. You could just pick all of that team and see how they'd go against any prospective AFL team.

Remember, just because a bunch of star players get together doesn't necessarily mean the team itself will fire (looked at the Super Series, for example).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Brisbane Lions side of 2001-2003 would probably be as good as any side that has ever played AFL. You could just pick all of that team and see how they'd go against any prospective AFL team.

Remember, just because a bunch of star players get together doesn't necessarily mean the team itself will fire (looked at the Super Series, for example).
If they have something to play for -- see State of Origin, then they can be better.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well I think the assumption here is that this hypothetical team played, they would, unlike the Super Series XI, they would have the chance to play together enough to gel together, and would actually care. But anyway, good to see that you've grasped the point of these sorts of hypothetical teams. 8-)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've put up the polls for non-key position forwards and backs.

I think we can call all the other polls at this point, apart from the Midfielders, as there are clear leaders unlikely to be overhauled. In the midfielders, there's a three-way tie for the 6th spot between Goodes, Robert Harvey and Ben Cousins, so will leave it open for a casting vote, and if not broken will include them all in the subsequent poll. (Or else, I can simply include them all at this point if people prefer).

The team:
Code:
B, X, Scarlett, X
HB, X, Leppitsch, Kirk
C,  Buckley, Voss, Goodes/Cousins/Harvey,
HF, X, Carey, Hird
F , X, Lockett, X
Foll, X, Judd, Ablett
Int, X, X, X, X