• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFL Team - 1997-Present

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ok, the updated nominations are included below. I'll give it another 24 hours, and incorporate any further noms before starting the polls.

With the midfielders, we currently have 29 nominations. Do people want to weed these down a bit before voting, or just do one giant poll for the first batch? Bear in mind that we'll likely be selecting 6-8 midfielders in the first go, before taking another few in the final couple of polls.

Anywayz:
MIDFIELDERS:
Adam Goodes
Adam Simpson
Andrew McLeod
Anthony Koutafides
Anthony Stevens
Ben Cousins
Brent Harvey
Chris Judd
Daniel Kerr
Gary Ablett Jr
James Hird
Jimmy Bartel
Joe Misiti
Josh Carr
Leon Davis
Mark Ricciutto
Michael Voss
Nathan Buckley
Nick Stevens
Nigel Lappin
Paul Williams
Robert Harvey
Rohan Smith
Sam Mitchell
Scott Burns
Scott West
Shane Crawford
Shaun Hart
Simon Black

RUN WITH
Brady Rawlings
Brett Kirk
Cameron Ling
Jared Crouch
Kane Cornes
Paul Licuria

RUCKS
Aaron Sandilands
Brendan Lade
Clarke Keating
Darren Jolly
David Hille
Dean Cox
Drew Petrie
Jeff White
Luke Darcy
Matthew Primus
Michael Gardiner
Paul Salmon
Peter Everitt
Shaun Rehn
Stephen King

KEY FORWARDS

Alistair Lynch
Anthony Rocca
Barry Hall
Brendan Fevola
Daniel Bradshaw
David Neitz
Jonathon Brown
Justin Kosinthcke (sp?)
Lance Franklin
Matthew Lloyd
Matthew Pavlich
Matthew Richardson
Nick Riewoldt
Saverio Rocca
Scott Lucas
Tony Lockett
Tony Modra
Warren Tredrea
Wayne Carey

NON KEY FORWARDS
Alan Didak
Brad Johnson
Cyril Rioli
Darren Jarman
James Hird
Jason Akermanis
Jeff Farmer
Mick O'Laughlin (key or not?)
Nathan Brown
Nick Davis
Paul Medhurst
Phillip Matera
Ryan O'Keefe
Shannon Grant
Stephen Milne
Steve Johnson

KEY BACKS
Ben Rutten
Chad Cornes
Chris Grant (could equally be a key forward)
Darren Glass
Dustin Fletcher
Justin Leppitsch
Mal Michael
Matthew Scarlett
Max Hudgton
Sean Wellman
Shane Wakelin
Simon Prestigiacomo
Trent Croad

NON KEY BACKS
Andrew McKay
Andrew McLeod
Byron Pickett
Chris Johnson
Darren Milburn
Darryl White
David Wirrpanda
Gavin Wanganeen
Glenn Archer
Heath Shaw
James Clement
Leo Barry
Luke Hodge
Taegh Kennally
Tom Harley

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, I can't see him getting too many votes as a midfielder given the depth of talent there, but as a forward-come-midfielder, he's a good candidate.

Redbacks

International Captain
could consider Glenn Archer as a non key back.

Nathan Brown has reasonable stats as a non key forward

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ah, thought of Nathan Brown before, and then forgot him again. Archer should obviously be nominated, yes.

Redbacks

International Captain
agreed. Although I wonder whether Lappin and Hart will get many votes ahead of Voss or Black.
I can post tomorrow, basically from 01-04 Lappin was the highest ranked player for Champion Data stats for the Lions every year they made the GF. 4 time all-Australian in this period also.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've put him in - during the polls, I think people should certainly argue their cases.

This is going to be a bastard - just tried to select a team based on my own views out of the nominees, deciding who you leave out is the hard bit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I can't see Paul Kelly listed in there. Reckon he should be tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Disappointed Matt didn't bite at me linking him to a game where Collingwood threw away a 4 goal lead in 5 minutes :(

Matt79

Global Moderator
Didn't click it itbt. Nearly bit anyway, but my medication is working well at the moment.

Will add Brett Burton in as a non-key forward - surprised there haven't been mobs out with pitchforks and torches for his omission.

Will post the first couple of polls now - I think a poll to select 6 midfielders, and the key forwards to get started?

Matt79

Global Moderator
sheesh. pulling together the stats was hard work - nothing as definitive as Cricinfo for AFL.

Posting the midfielders and key forwards battle now. Player profiles for the key forwards will have to wait til tomorrow.

Dropped Leon Davis from the battle and added Simon Goodwin.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
sheesh. pulling together the stats was hard work - nothing as definitive as Cricinfo for AFL.

Posting the midfielders and key forwards battle now. Player profiles for the key forwards will have to wait til tomorrow.

Dropped Leon Davis from the battle and added Simon Goodwin.
AFL Players might be useful?

Matt79

Global Moderator
the stats.rleague site is great for stats, but - and I may be not using it properly, I couldn't see All-Australian details on it.