• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFL Team - 1997-Present

Redbacks

International Captain
Barry Hall, FTW.
Tredrea, Pav, Brown to name a few. Duck played a few years during this time also, was Brownlow favourite in 98 iirc

Carey hit arguably the best form of his career in 1998 as he led North Melbourne on a club record 11 game winning streak. During the streak he averaged 8 marks, 21 disposals and 4.3 goals per game and registered 20 or more disposals and 5 or more goals on six separate occasions.
amazing numbers!

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Add Nigel Lappin to the mix. Only one of the fab 4 not to win a 'Charlie'. Didn't see enough, but wasn't Gardiner a quality ruck for the eagles

Matt79

Global Moderator
As if Jeff White doesn't deserve a shot over such amazing ruckmen as David Hille (one good season) and Sandilands. At least he had some form of longevity.
Agreed. If anyone has bothered to read the OP I flagged the lists I did were very much off the top of my head and that they were by no means definitive. Hence the request for nominations.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shaun Hart deserves a metion for midfield imo.

David Wirrpanda (NKB), Gavin Wanganeen (NKB)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Shannon Grant
Shaun Hart deserves a metion for midfield imo.

David Wirrpanda (NKB), Gavin Wanganeen (NKB)
agreed. Although I wonder whether Lappin and Hart will get many votes ahead of Voss or Black. They kinda sit with guys like Kerr, Corey, etc who have benefitted from being very very good players in teams that have a couple of true greats. But that's why we'll do a poll.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blokes a ****, but Jeff Farmer is one of the better small forwards of the era.

EDIT: Eh, already there, nevermind.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lappin should get votes. May as well nominate Marcus Ashcroft if you nominate Shaun Hart. Dogged player, real competitor and much loved, but shouldn't be talked about in a Team of the Decade.