• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gareth Edds amongst the scorers tonight, continuing a disturbing trend from 06-07 when Shane Sherriff kept scoring during the Ashes. Feel dirty celebrating it tbh.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I'm upset that GIMH hates me. :(

I'm indifferent to Lescott. If we keep hold of him then goody gumdrops because he's a good player. However, he's not THAT good. He's worth £10 million max and i'd take 25 million easy. Just a shame Gary Cahill's signed a new contract because I really like him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha I don't hate you :p

As I said, plenty of decent bluenoses, in fact my brother, and sister's boyfriend, both fellow blues. You surely must admit that you do get a lot of cretins following you lot though? Got spat on on my only visit to Goodison :@

In other news, just listened to Barnes post-match interview. He talked about our home form last season, and said that it shouldn't matter whether we're home or away, we should be consistent. I like his theory, doubt it will work though.

Craig

World Traveller
Everton are being linked with Inter striker Victor Obinna. They were going to sign him last year, but he couldn't get a WP. If it were Manchester United, he would of got one.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
You surely must admit that you do get a lot of cretins following you lot though? Got spat on on my only visit to Goodison :@
Absolutely. There are so many nobheads that go to Goodsion Park these days and it's so much so that I don't get a season ticket anymore. The last time I went to Goodsion, funnily enough, was against City when we lost 2-1 last season. Robinho came over to take a corner and despite doing nothing untoward whatsoever (other than score, cheeky sod) he got filthy abuse and even more disgustingly he got spat on. Not by just one bell end, but a group of them. Disgusting.

Suffice to say though, it's not just Evertonians. There are some scummy, scummy fans everywhere.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eek, just spotted your scoreline. QPR look good or you lot awful?
Bizarre match really, even first-half, and we were on top in the second-half before they hit us on the break, then we had a great chance to equalise, they hit us on the break again. Then we crumbled.

Routledge was brilliant for them, and Agyemang was quality too.

Not panicking yet, but interesting to see the Naarwich score as we're playing them at the weekend.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In other news, just listened to Barnes post-match interview. He talked about our home form last season, and said that it shouldn't matter whether we're home or away, we should be consistent. I like his theory, doubt it will work though.
How've your fans taken to him? Reckon he's an absolute **** myself.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
A bit disappoint that Capello see's it that way. But in a few months maybe he could change his mind.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imagine the backlash if he did tbh. That said, he'd do a very good job. Definitely won me over last season, he's very reliable and capable of brilliant moments.

Craig

World Traveller
What about Almunia's committment to England, and not to Spain? In that I mean, if Casillas and Reina went down with a sudden unexpected piece of bad fortune, and he got the call-up to Spain, would he say 'GAGF. I'm playing for England' or would he happily take the call up to the Spanish team?

I also don't think the FA would be too keen on such a thing either. It's silly when their cricket and rugby teams pick foreigners who come over in their late teen's/early 20's.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How've your fans taken to him? Reckon he's an absolute **** myself.
He wasn't a popular appointment, and many people are already calling for his head. Personally I see no option but to get behind him and to give him a fair crack but there are fears he will be the new Dave Watson.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What do you guys think about this?

Sky Sports | Football | News | Almunia not in England frame

Seems crazy to me. If he's qualified to play for England which he is, and is one of the best goal-keepers in the league, why shouldn't you pick him?
Why not indeed? Other countries do it, even Spain themselves for all their midfield riches regularly play a natualized Brazilian in Senna.

If Alumunia's the best available (and, tbh, it's probably more a reflection of the paucity of other options that he is rather than any particular quality he himself has), he's qualified and he's keen it's daft not to use him.

What about Almunia's committment to England, and not to Spain? In that I mean, if Casillas and Reina went down with a sudden unexpected piece of bad fortune, and he got the call-up to Spain, would he say 'GAGF. I'm playing for England' or would he happily take the call up to the Spanish team?

I also don't think the FA would be too keen on such a thing either. It's silly when their cricket and rugby teams pick foreigners who come over in their late teen's/early 20's.
He'd probably prefer Spain, but they don't seem interested in him (rather similar to Riki Flutey and the All Blacks), so if we're his best chance of international honours I imagine he'll jump at the chance. However, given the public snub, he probably now wouldn't have anything to lose if Spain did turn to him in extremis.

Craig

World Traveller
Why not indeed? Other countries do it, even Spain themselves for all their midfield riches regularly play a natualized Brazilian in Senna.

If Alumunia's the best available (and, tbh, it's probably more a reflection of the paucity of other options that he is rather than any particular quality he himself has), he's qualified and he's keen it's daft not to use him.

He'd probably prefer Spain, but they don't seem interested in him (rather similar to Riki Flutey and the All Blacks), so if we're his best chance of international honours I imagine he'll jump at the chance. However, given the public snub, he probably now wouldn't have anything to lose if Spain did turn to him in extremis.
When I was in Vietnam I read one of your rags (Daily Mirror or Telegraph, it was free btw) and they asked a bunch of former players, managers etc. and opinion was pretty divided as to whether or not England should pick him and a lot of the Scots were against the idea (I think a similar case with Ranger's Nacho Novo wanting to play for Scotland, but the SFA said no). I haven't seen Novo play much (don't really care about the SPL too much) so I can't say if he would add something to Scotland or not, but they seemed pretty much against the idea of not picking somebody who doesn't have Scottish blood in them. This was just after the Man U - Arsenal European Cup Semi Final 1st leg at OT.

It's madness IMO, when as you say, a lot of other nations don't have a problem with such a thing. Croatia pick a bloke who was born in Brazil and a couple of blokes who were born in Australia (had Croatian parents TBF) and was raised here and got training at the AIS FFS.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What do you guys think about this?

Sky Sports | Football | News | Almunia not in England frame

Seems crazy to me. If he's qualified to play for England which he is, and is one of the best goal-keepers in the league, why shouldn't you pick him?
Bit of a mixed feeling for me, I'm not entirely in favour of it, but neither am I totally opposed. Personally, I think that he is one of the strongest eligible candidates for the role, and would do a good job if selected. However, I do have a slight gripe in the sense that he doesn't have an English bone in his body (despite actually speaking better English than the majority of the countries population), I know Pietersen doesn't either, but at least he made the jump over to the UK when he was fairly young with the intention of effectively leaving SA behind and has played the majority of his professional career in England. Though Almunia has played the majority of his football in England, his attitude to playing for the national side strikes me as being a bit like..."well, I've tried and failed to get into the Spain squad, may as well have a crack at England now". I wouldn't be opposed to him playing....but something wouldn't quite sit right with me over it.