• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is getting a bit silly now. Some strange hypotheticals being thrown about. Of course any tackle could cause an injury. The way Shawcross went in made an injury more likely than usual. IMO.

Loony BoB

International Captain
The image you guys are showing is actually after the injury was made, not just before the ball was won. Ramsey was actually jumping into Shawcrosse's path to make the tackle. Watch this in HD: YouTube - Ryan Shawcross injures Aaron Ramsey Stoke v Arsenal Horrific Injury
To watch it in HD, hover over the '380p' thing and change it to '720p'. You get a much clearer view.

One could easily argue that Ramsey's jumping into the challenge was recklessly endangering himself as well as Shawcross. It was definitely a jumping tackle that Ramsey made, whilst Shawcross was just moving forward after kicking the ball in that direction. In HD, it doesn't even look like he's going for a clearance, just a hard pass forwards. But the main point of these images: At which point was Shawcross not reasonable to expect he was the one who was more likely to get the ball? I'd have done the same thing in the situation. Eyes on the ball since it's ahead of you, you put your foot through it, not expecting someone who was much further away from the ball until the very last second to jump right in front of you.

Interesting handball at the very start, mind you. :p

Attachments

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is getting a bit silly now. Some strange hypotheticals being thrown about. Of course any tackle could cause an injury. The way Shawcross went in made an injury more likely than usual. IMO.
Don't come here with your reasonable & considered opinions, pinko. This is Cricket Web. We want conspiracy theories and hyperbole.

I blame Dicko, obv.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Just FTR, if you ever wonder what makes you infintely more irritating than other Arsenal fans such as Brumby, Marcuss and Sledger (who probably have similar sorts of opinions), it's this. You on one hand being a massive douche about anyone who dares to critisize your point of view or Arsenal and Brumby/Sledger on the other hand who are actually acting like adults and don't feel like they need to resort to chucking around one word posts. Catch.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The image you guys are showing is actually after the injury was made, not just before the ball was won. Ramsey was actually jumping into Shawcrosse's path to make the tackle. Watch this in HD: YouTube - Ryan Shawcross injures Aaron Ramsey Stoke v Arsenal Horrific Injury
To watch it in HD, hover over the '380p' thing and change it to '720p'. You get a much clearer view.

One could easily argue that Ramsey's jumping into the challenge was recklessly endangering himself as well as Shawcross. It was definitely a jumping tackle that Ramsey made, whilst Shawcross was just moving forward after kicking the ball in that direction. In HD, it doesn't even look like he's going for a clearance, just a hard pass forwards.

These thumbnails show that Shawcross hadn't even began to swing his leg forwards until after the ball had gone. Reckless? Nah, never.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those screen-shots are completely useless and they tell you nothing; it's impossible to put the frame into any sort of perspective.
Completely agree, ftr. Stills, super-slow-mo replays and animated gifs rarely tell you as much as real time viewings.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

One could easily argue that Ramsey's jumping into the challenge was recklessly endangering himself as well as Shawcross. It was definitely a jumping tackle that Ramsey made, whilst Shawcross was just moving forward after kicking the ball in that direction. In HD, it doesn't even look like he's going for a clearance, just a hard pass forwards.

:laugh:

edit: To clarify I can't see any of what you're saying in the description.

Last edited:

duffer

Just FTR, if you ever wonder what makes you infintely more irritating than other Arsenal fans such as Brumby, Marcuss and Sledger (who probably have similar sorts of opinions), it's this. You on one hand being a massive douche about anyone who dares to critisize your point of view or Arsenal and Brumby/Sledger on the other hand who are actually acting like adults and don't feel like they need to resort to chucking around one word posts. Catch.
Sticks and stones buddy. Sticks and stones.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Completely agree, ftr. Stills, super-slow-mo replays and animated gifs rarely tell you as much as real time viewings.
These thumbnails show that Shawcross hadn't even began to swing his leg forwards until after the ball had gone. Reckless? Nah, never.
TBF it's a difference of about 0.01 seconds. Which is exactly why such images aren't worth much.

Loony BoB

International Captain
:laugh:

edit: To clarify I can't see any of what you're saying in the description.
Watch the 'tube video, watch Ramsey, see him jump. *shrug* If you don't actually watch "both" players and instead watch what they were doing individually, you see Shawcross following the ball and going to kick it, which is fair enough as he just pushed it forward. Then watch Ramsey, you see him head towards the ball and then, at the last second, jump into the challenge. He wasn't swinging because he didn't have a planted foot - he was jumping into it. Or am I completely blind?

duffer

Watch the 'tube video, watch Ramsey, see him jump. *shrug* If you don't actually watch "both" players and instead watch what they were doing individually, you see Shawcross following the ball and going to kick it, which is fair enough as he just pushed it forward. Then watch Ramsey, you see him head towards the ball and then, at the last second, jump into the challenge. He wasn't swinging because he didn't have a planted foot - he was jumping into it. Or am I completely blind?
I think we're both seeing what we want to see.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
No you're completely right, and it's not often I agree with you old Townsy.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Yes, they do show that, I'll give you that completely. But those little pics were just to show that Shawcross had every reason - up until the final splitsecond (and last one to two snapshots) - to believe, without being reckless, that he would get the ball. The video obviously is better for watching how much time he had to react to the jump from Ramsey.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't red, I back the ref for that. I'm just saying it wasn't reckless for him to think that he would get it. He didn't anticipate the jump and he probably wasn't looking at the guy jumping in when he made the swing at the ball. Maybe not having his eye on the opposition player and the ball at the same time can be considered reckless, but I'll disagree with that.