• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We were pish today, so I won't go overboard in celebration, but we won. ho-hum.

Will be relegated if we play like that every week though.
Were we awful?

Yeah, heard Jeff say it was seven defeats in seven in all competitions for your chaps. Mentioned you in the same breath as Pompey, which has gotta smart.
Yeah, indeed, think there's only them and Darlington with worse records. TBH losing away is like water off a duck's back to the SWA but when we're losing at home as well then it just compounds the misery. We never lost at home for almost a year yet now I can't see us winning. Not sure what my access arrangements with the kids are next week but suffice to say if my time with them is Saturday afternoon then I won't be bothering to ask my mum to watch them for two hours for me.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Were we awful?
Umm, in the first half you were the better team by far, awful display from us. Playing two 35+ guys in a four-man midfield isn't what I'd do, especially with two lightweights as the other two, so you overran us often TBH. You looked okay going forward except for Rickets obviously (how he played for England or scored today, I'll never know, shocking).

Yet, and I'm probably not telling you anything you didn't know, but your defence is diabolical. Gave our players far too much space, if we had our normal passing we'd of carved you open many more times then we did, and the two goals were comical. You just seemed to foul our players as an only tactic, which you got away with a lot of the time, particularly the number 5. Yet I think he felt he needed too, because of the lack of support.

Not just saying this, because I know what it's like to watch a struggling football side, but there were MANY better back-lines I saw play in the conference. It's just a matter of doing the basics which you couldn't IMHO.

BTW you still deserved at least a point, because apart from Ryan Harley and Stanno we were ****ing terrible too.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The defence is so frustrating because last season we had the best defence in the division more or less, certainly the most clean sheets. Goodison (the number 5) has been the best defender in the division for the past few seasons but he and Barnes don't get on, plus he's getting on, and it's showing in his performances. The rest are inexperienced and I won't hold too much fault with them but we should be signing defenders.

grecian

Èíòåðåñíî, à âû íå áîèòåñü, ÷òî Àïïîëîí ñðåáðîëóêèé, ïîêðîâèòåëü èñêóññòâ, çà òàêîå íàäðóãàòåëüñòâî ðóêè ïîîáëàìûâàåò?

[]
Tbh that post probably makes as much sense as my and Gimhs convo to a lot of people reading this :p

BTW, had edited what I said about Goodison, before you'd posted:)

Clerly not a bad player just seemed overwhelmed at doing all the defending.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

You can see that Mr Barnes appointment has been an unprecedented success in the circles I move in
Just noticed that the Barnes must die group has been renamed to "John Barnes must leave Tranmere now", way to bottle it! Doesn't quite make the same sort of statement :laugh:

Someone I know acquired Jason McAteer's phone number today, could be um, dodgy

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just noticed that the Barnes must die group has been renamed to "John Barnes must leave Tranmere now", way to bottle it! Doesn't quite make the same sort of statement :laugh:

Someone I know acquired Jason McAteer's phone number today, could be um, dodgy
Hahahaha, that just reminded me of an interesting story. A mate of mine had John Barnes' phone number when we were in year 10, made a few calls to him as well just to confirm it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You might have seen this on your FB:

Has acquired jason mcateers number and cant condone any foul play but understands anybody who needs it for 'referance' let me no!
I really don't think it's a wise thing to do, evidence and all that jazz, but it is pretty amusing

Abysmal spelling though.

As for John Barnes, were the calls interesting?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You might have seen this on your FB:

I really don't think it's a wise thing to do, evidence and all that jazz, but it is pretty amusing

Abysmal spelling though.

As for John Barnes, were the calls interesting?
Hahahaha, I'm going to text him now and ask for it.

The calls were ok, he didn't say much, it was pretty much him just saying "Hello, who is this?", to which we would just say "Alright John", and he then went.."Hello...er....bye" and hung up, and then stopped answering after a while.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If I was famous there's no way I'd ever answer a number I didn't recognise.

Reminds me of the Sebastian bach interview where he said he got a message saying, "Hey it's Axl," and he was all like, "haha wtf, yeah, it's Axl 8-)" ignored the message and then 15 mins later Axl rang him on said number.

Not really interesting at all that, I'm posting a lot of crap tonight.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If I was famous there's no way I'd ever answer a number I didn't recognise.

Reminds me of the Sebastian bach interview where he said he got a message saying, "Hey it's Axl," and he was all like, "haha wtf, yeah, it's Axl 8-)" ignored the message and then 15 mins later Axl rang him on said number.

Not really interesting at all that, I'm posting a lot of crap tonight.
Haha just received it from him, not sure what to do with it now..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
some geezer to do with celtic in 1999 said:
I can't really feel that sorry for John Barnes. He had a fixed idea about team tactics and brought a lot of the problems on himself.

It was common knowledge the players weren't comfortable and the supporters were clearly unhappy.
FMD sounds familiar

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh dear Arsene.

Manager Arsene Wenger defended Emmanuel Eboue after his deliberate handball against Wigan became the latest controversy to involve Arsenal.

Eboue was booked for an obvious attempt to divert the ball towards goal with his hand during the Gunners' 4-0 win.

"Of course we want to stamp out cheating in the game," Wenger said. "It is not necessarily cheating sometimes, it (handball) can be a reflex as well."

Though it is possible handball can result from a reflex, I would say in this case it clearly was not. No surprise to see who the culprit was either.

grecian

I wonder if DCYE has started to like Craig Bellamy, as a footballer, yet?

OH FFS, another play until United get the winner, ****ing disgrace, should be used to it by now I suppose.

Good finish by Owen though.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
At least a minute past the 4 we were supposed to get. Hmm. Hughes must be a wee bit irked.

United probably deserved it on balance of play tho, only their comedy defending that kept Citeh in it for so long. Rio doesn't switch off anymore? GTFO.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
At least a minute past the 4 we were supposed to get. Hmm. Hughes must be a wee bit irked.

United probably deserved it on balance of play tho, only their comedy defending that kept Citeh in it for so long. Rio doesn't switch off anymore? GTFO.
Agree with this post completely. Man City can't really complain, Man Utd totally controlled the match, though the nature of the final goal was a bit dubious to say the least. Good result from an Arsenal point of view really. Smitteh must be fuming though I imagine. Going to enjoy listening to Mark Hughes whinge though, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, WAC.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Go Man U! :) Were lucky to win it though. Now to see Chelsea lose to top a perfect weekend. Barca won 5-2.

cpr

International Coach

Nope. Amount of added time is a minimum indication, its also decided about a minute before the end of 90 min. The 4th official had the board ready with the 4, then City scored with 6 seconds to go. The guidelines state 1 minute (I think) has to be added for any goals, then 30 seconds for each sub, considering one of each happened after the 4 minutes had been decided, min of 5 1/2 min to be played, which covers Owen's goal nicely.