• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Total Joke. Not including Carragher just for the sake of your argument. You know fully well that he is a better defender than Bramble.

Never actually been a huge fan of him myself, never considered him to be very top class but he is a very solid defender and you cannot dispute that.
I really don't know why you expect him to manage coherent and rational argument. You've more chance of Richard admitting to having a Matthew Hayden duvet cover.

I'm still shocked that Dong Fangzhou hasn't been bought by Real Madrid for £60m by now.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Vidic
Ferdinand
Terry
Skrtel
Carvalho
Alex
Jagielka
Gallas
Hangeland
Bramble/Woodgate/King

Going by just central defenders. People like Corluka, Evra, Bosingwa and Cole edge in there when considering fullbacks.
:laugh:. No dawg, hell no. You have just insulted ENGs defensive options.

Plus i'd put Upson ahead of Jaigelka for sure, although im not sure if i'd have him as a top 10 option TBF.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Is a more complete allround player for mine, cuts a more commanding figure to opposing sides as well I would suggest. Also I think the politics of football might have some bearing, leaving out a £30million player who forms one of the most solid and tight defensive partnerships in the country would be a truly unprecedented move, ont to mention the fact that he has always done a decent job for England.
The perfect central defensive partnership for ENG would be Ferdinand/King. Top combination of pace, aggression & physical presence.

Terry, Upson, Woodgate, Carragher (before he retired) are of course solid techincally. But you always feel a Torres, Messi, Villa, Eto'o would run past them in tussle.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I really don't know why you expect him to manage coherent and rational argument. You've more chance of Richard admitting to having a Matthew Hayden duvet cover.

I'm still shocked that Dong Fangzhou hasn't been bought by Real Madrid for £60m by now.
Pretty sure I saw it somewhere that he was considered a mistake. Plus by Utd terms it was a cheap investment. Manucho must have been bought to tyap into that lucrative Angolan market eh?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Not sure why people are getting their knickers into a twist that Carragher's no longer as good as he was?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The perfect central defensive partnership for ENG would be Ferdinand/King. Top combination of pace, aggression & physical presence.

Terry, Upson, Woodgate, Carragher (before he retired) are of course solid techincally. But you always feel a Torres, Messi, Villa, Eto'o would run past them in tussle.
I don't know about that to be honest, it's not like King has been tested at the absolute top level even when he has been fit, though I gather he did a reasonable job today.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know about that to be honest, it's not like King has been tested at the absolute top level even when he has been fit, though I gather he did a reasonable job today.
Off my head EURO 04 vs France, the famous 3-2 win vs Argentina & Wembley friendly againts Brazil.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Carragher has dropped a notch, sure, but is still comfortably one of the best defenders in the league.

At his prime - which I'd say was the past 3-4 years - he was a beast and should have been starting ahead of Rio or even Terry (yes, he was that good). Carragher being at Liverpool had to do more defending, where both Rio and Terry had great defenders beside them and in front of them. The 2005 CL final highlights how important he has been for us. Whilst he isn't the greatest on the ball (he sure as hell isn't poor either) he is also underrated off the ball, reading the game. I remember a quote from Corriere della Sera: "If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him."

Hyperbole, of course, but it's impressive when Italians take notice of your defensive ability.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pretty sure I saw it somewhere that he was considered a mistake. Plus by Utd terms it was a cheap investment. Manucho must have been bought to tyap into that lucrative Angolan market eh?
You're getting confused between players who have played one Premier League game in five years and players who played regular Premier League football again.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The latest today is that City will offer Everton £18m + Dunne + Ben Haim for Lescott. Seems that Everton are holding out for the full amount in cash though.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Dunne+Ben Haim just isn't happening, maybe one but definitely not both. For one, there's no way Everton can pay Ben Haim's wage (60+/w) and Dunne has ruled out a move today and Hughes loves him. All sources coming out of the club say it's bull**** as well.

Can see us walking from this deal and bringing in Upson after the Barca game on Wednesday and before the Wolves game.